Embassy issues notice for Australian federal election

webfact

Embassy issues notice for Australian federal election
The Phuket News

1464230497_1-org.jpg
The Australian federal election will be held on July 2.

BANGKOK: The Australian Embassy in Bangkok has issued a reminder to all Australian nationals in Thailand that an Australian federal election will be held on July 2.

Australians in Thailand are encouraged to take advantage of early in-person voting to avoid possible lengthy waiting times on election day itself, the notice urged.

Early in-person voting will be offered at the Australian Embassy in Bangkok from Monday June 20, from 8:30am to 4pm, Monday to Friday.

In-person voting will also be offered at the embassy on election day, Saturday July 2, from 9am to 5pm.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/embassy-issues-notice-for-australian-federal-election-57578.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-05-26

All Australian pensioners living in Thailand should be warned and take note that the Liberals want to enforce the residency based nature of Australian pensions.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/federal-election-2016/federal-election-2016-800m-cost-of-offshore-pensioners/news-story/fb9a0fae67c217c3420e41d6f23a5830

While I'm many, many years away from being a senior/pensioner so this won't affect me, but there is an increasing trend amongst developed western countries towards screwing their nationals who decide they want to live abroad in a warmer, cheaper place. However, they don't seem to have any reservations about bringing in thousands of "refugees". Apparently foreigners matter more than locals. Quite the opposite in Thailand - locals matter more than foreigners and that's the way every country should be like.

Please excuse me ...I am a pensioner in Thailand for 13 years...Liberals want to enforce the residency based nature of Australian pensions.

May I ask can you please explain further....Cheers..

Read the link I provided. Here it is again. Click on it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/federal-election-2016/federal-election-2016-800m-cost-of-offshore-pensioners/news-story/fb9a0fae67c217c3420e41d6f23a5830

Voting is compulsory in Australia. Failure to register is illegal.

Ex pats who live in Mae Sai, for example, must travel to Bangkok to regester their vote.

Australia hence makes voting an act of dictatorship and one seldom seen in other free world Democratic countries.

True democracies give you the freedom to choose to vote or not.

Please excuse me ...I am a pensioner in Thailand for 13 years...Liberals want to enforce the residency based nature of Australian pensions.

I haven't voted for many years....both parties are corrupt to the core, using the powers given to them by law to enrich themselves! There hasn't been an honest pollie since the 50's, imagine this lot creating the Snowy Scheme or something like it!

At least Thai pollies are honest in their criminallity! thumbsup.gifsad.pngbah.gifwai.gif

It's behind a paywall, is there another link?

yea, brother fox, read it here in aus.

showing my age, i remember aussie elections overseas, australian embassy, chock full of all sorts, chatting, bull**** laughing, off to the nearest pub to discuss all things, aussies young and old.

now going to aus embassy which resembles a fortified structure, i think not so much fun.

carefree days when aussies were just drunken good timers, now we must be careful.

I haven't voted for many years....both parties are corrupt to the core, using the powers given to them by law to enrich themselves! There hasn't been an honest pollie since the 50's, imagine this lot creating the Snowy Scheme or something like it!

At least Thai pollies are honest in their criminallity! thumbsup.gifsad.pngbah.gifwai.gif

true thai corruption is understood.

bob hawke and paul keating, one the oxford man,but also one who supported the aussie worker, keating, worked for the workers and probably without equal on the parlimentary floor.

Ways to vote overseas

http://www.aec.gov.au/Voting/Ways_to_vote/overseas.htm

1. How do I vote in person?

If you are currently enrolled, you can vote in person at an overseas voting centre.
2. How do I vote by post?
If you are currently enrolled, you can vote by post.
3. I am unable to vote, what should I do?
If you are unable to vote you should complete and submit an Overseas Notification form (PDF)
If you do not inform the AEC, we will write to you asking you to explain why you did not vote. If you explain you were overseas on election day, you will not be fined.
4. Can I vote online?
No, you cannot vote online.
Edited by tails

Sorry but your LINK takes us only to a SUBSCRIBER ONLY Site. They want me to sign up to BUY the "Australian Newspaper."

Any other suggestions on how to see the story you mentioned?

Ex pats who live in Mae Sai, for example, must travel to Bangkok to regester their vote.

Australia hence makes voting an act of dictatorship and one seldom seen in other free world Democratic countries.

I was struck off the electoral roll. Was back in Australia at the time of the last election and went in to vote only to be told I was no longer on the roll as I had been out of the country for 5+ years. Suits me fine with the collection of numnuts available to vote for. Hate being forced to vote for people I hate

July 2nd. Election day?

Time to bring the fun back into Chinese 'erection day'.

Nothing against Chinese. Just like 'erection day', reminds me of when i had a few of them.

SO, why not all the hopless, drunken Aussies, that live in greater Isaan, get together at someplace central like Roiet, and have a piss up?

Let's bring the real/true working man's problems together in one place and get pissed.

Good idea?

July 2nd. Election day?

Nothing against Chinese. Just like 'erection day', reminds me of when i had a few of them.

SO, why not all the hopless, drunken Aussies, that live in greater Isaan, get together at someplace central like Roiet, and have a piss up?

Let's bring the real/true working man's problems together in one place and get pissed.

Good idea?

aussie expats and those on the tour de issan should do it.

should be held near a monkey village, if politics would be discussed.

great idea, footy, pi*s taking, pig on spit, state of origin scratch match shirts v skins.

mia farangs comparing tatts, others in small group watching in wonder.

I was struck off the electoral roll. Was back in Australia at the time of the last election and went in to vote only to be told I was no longer on the roll as I had been out of the country for 5+ years. Suits me fine with the collection of numnuts available to vote for. Hate being forced to vote for people I hate

Hi "The Chook, After you were struck off, did the Aussie Government stoop to other drakonian means and stop your pension ? Thanks

The Chook is spot on here and the information on voting eligibility for non resident Australians is clearly laid out on the Aust Electoral Commission website. I informed the AEC over 20 years ago that I was leaving Australia for more than 3+ years and had my name taken off the electoral roll back then.

July 2nd. Election day?

Good idea?

Why did you pick Roi et?, nothing there, I would say Khonkaen a better choice as they have a few Aussie run bars.

All Australian pensioners living in Thailand should be warned and take note that the Liberals want to enforce the residency based nature of Australian pensions.

What's the good of putting a link where we have to subscribe to read it???

What's the good of putting a link where we have to subscribe to read it???
Without having read the article, it's safe to assume that BOTH sides plan a major crackdown on what they are pleased to call social security/welfare, including pensions. The Liberals are just slightly more rabid about it.

Neither has been able to stop the rorting in access to unemployment benefits but still have their sights set on those who have paid the full whack of taxes for 40 or 50 years.

Disgraceful.