Former president Thein Sein vows political comeback in 2020 elections

webfact

Former president Thein Sein vows political comeback in 2020 elections

USDP-wpcf_728x409.jpg

YANGON: -- Burma’s previous ruling party, the Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDPP) will try to stage a political comeback in the next election in 2020 after a humiliating election defeat at the hands of Aung San Suu Kyi’s Naional League of Democracy last year.

USDPP chairman Thein Sein urged the party to reform in order to win the next election.

“Despite the many reasons (for our loss), the main cause is weakness in the party’s central and lower levels. We all have to collaborate to review those weaknesses and reform the party to achieve success in the next election,” said the former Burmese president during the party meeting in Rangoon on Monday, according to The Union Daily, the party’s mouthpiece.

The Irrawaddy said that Thein Sein’s statement is a clear sign that the USDPP has wanted to stage a political comeback.

Thein Sein handed over power to President Htin Kyaw of the NLD government in March. But he only returned to party politics in late April.

“I feel responsible for the loss. At the same time I feel I have to help the party win again. That is why I am back talking to party members,” he said.

Livestock and Irrigation Minister Ohn Myint wrote in his Facebook page that Thein Sein implored party members to “shape the USDPP into a party the people love.”

But not everyone is convinced. Rangoon-based commentator Yan Myo Thien said Thein Sein is “daydreaming.” “What they don’t’ understand is that people are already tired of them,” he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164863

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-26

Move on, you old git. Everyone is tired of the stifling military sticking their nose into Burmese life. Your country should be near the top in SEA but is an absolute mess because of you lot. You have no business running a country, nobody wants you. Move on!

Archived