Whats your belief ?

What do you believe in ?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It is early days yet but it gives me some hope for this world to see the Atheists leading the way. A majority would be nice but longest journeys begin with small steps.

I agree.

Then again, majority of people are de facto atheists. Majority of people do religious things as it has been polite to do so.

In my county, people 'belong to the church' mainly because the church offers nice environment for weddings. Very few people go to the churches except for the times it's socially mandatory.

As the knowledge increases, beliefs reduces.

No "doing religious things" doesn't necessarily mean you're an atheist.

I find it strange that you don't seem to hold a place for people who are believers but don't want to practice any religion as per rules that are human-made or come from a book of dubious origins.

As for an automatic reduction of beliefs with education, this doesn't seem obvious to me.

Maturation of society and democracy going towards the elimination of anything religious from all state matters seems natural to me, though, and I'm all for it. I happen to live in a country that has separation of church and state deeply ingrained. Our president doesn't swear on any religious book and just cannot say "God bless<country>". That would be outrageous and probably a reason for him/her to be impeached.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes because if the atheists "win" the world will be a better place . North Korea, the real paradise on earth.

Why is this silliness about you must relate to NK if you don't believe in some deity appearing ??

Should we then relate any believers in a diety with one of the many countries of the larger religions----who

pray to Mohamed 5 times a day--read the Quran daily

-------------------------------------------------------

Honestly when some Christians posters here deny evolution,

they are right.-----It didn't happen to them..........................................................coffee1.gif

Agnostic, realistically it's rather unlikely that there is any sort of afterlife. Be it with (a) god(s), heaven, hell or some special dimension. The idea of seeing your loved ones again is nice thought. No person ever came back with evidence of there being anything, some people claim to be connected to an other 'realm'... When I die I'll find out. I assume there is nothing though. Just being a positive, respectfull chap, helping others out, making the most of it. If there is any greater power after this I'm sure he/she/it/them will acknowledge me being overall not a bad person. Met a nutjob Christian covert while I was in Oz, he disagreed. Telling me I'd burn in hell even if I did good but not believe in Jezus. 55555

Buddhism has no god, and the core of it is no religion but a way of life. Most Thai don't take it very stricly though (I don't blame them, got to enjoy some alcohol and sex) and instead and a fair share of aninism to it (fear of ghosts, offering to please ghosts etc.). I do like a good part of what Buddhism stands for, wouldn't call myself one though. Though compared to have your avarage Thai person is, I'd be just as much or less a Buddhist as any of them. My wife identified herself as one but in day to day life we did exactly the same things, would visit a Wat 1-2 times a year. She was fearful of ghosts but that is not buddhism. I think if the Buddha would come back today he wouldn't be very amused as to how the teachings are put into practise around Asia...

I can do good for others, within my limited means, without expectation of reward or fear of punishment by some unknown deity. A simple "religion" really. coffee1.gif

It is early days yet but it gives me some hope for this world to see the Atheists leading the way. A majority would be nice but longest journeys begin with small steps.

Yes because if the atheists "win" the world will be a better place . North Korea, the real paradise on earth.

You've got to smile when ignorant people try and equate NK to atheism. That country with its cult of the deceased great leader who is worshiped as a god. Yes, that is what atheism is all about. Atheism is about thinking rationaly, reason, enlightenment. They are in pretty short supply in NK.

Looks like could do with a healthy dose yourself.

The only single thing that is common to ALL atheists is that they don't believe in a deity. Some atheists are definitely not rational or enlightened except in their non-belief. That is why your opening sentence is flawed. North Korea IS effectively an atheist state.

Your argument doesn't quite make sense, to me.

According to the logic of your post, North Koreans are NOT atheists. They DO believe in and worship a deity, as such. The Kim family/dynasty.

Sorry but I can't make sense of the offered choices.

It seems to imply that the very idea of "God" is linked to one precise religion, which it isn't

Wondering if "good" in the "good & evil" choice is a typo ("God"?) because the moral concepts seem disconnected from a choice about one's beliefs IMO

Can't vote then (not that anyone cares)

Other

By all means, then keep religion--the mussies will outnumber the bible-thumpers soon anyway

"God" is not a religion, so why this choice and "Other religion"? doesn't make sense to me at least.

Yes, the survey does refer to God(s)--and it offers most choices; 1) don't believe, 2) don't know. 3) obviously believe; the few religions listed, and 4) other, not necessarily other religions, but other opinions

Why are the agnostic selections changed from the normal agnostic definition of 'don't know'?

It seems a bit perverse to change the definition to 'don't care' or 'might change my mind when push comes to shove'.

I think that was pretty good separation. It actually defines religions pretty well.

When fear presents itself, many people tend to hold on to something, how ridiculous it might be when thought while we are more aware about out lives.

Religions use fear as marketing material and sell hope as an remedy. Pretty good formula to push to the ignorant.

Why are the agnostic selections changed from the normal agnostic definition of 'don't know'?

It seems a bit perverse to change the definition to 'don't care' or 'might change my mind when push comes to shove'.

I think that was pretty good separation. It actually defines religions pretty well.

When fear presents itself, many people tend to hold on to something, how ridiculous it might be when thought while we are more aware about out lives.

Religions use fear as marketing material and sell hope as an remedy. Pretty good formula to push to the ignorant.

Its not a good separation as the definition of agnostic is - don't know - and this is not an option under 'agnostics'.

Agnostics are only given the options of 'don't care' or 'might change my mind if in difficulties'.

Its not a good separation as the definition of agnostic is - don't know - and this is not an option under 'agnostics'.

Agnostics are only given the options of 'don't care' or 'might change my mind if in difficulties'.

Each religion should have the same opportunity.

I believe because I'm used to the habit

I believe because I really think that book X is the truth.

Then there should have been many different variants, which would make the poll list huge. That's why it's good that we can express our thoughts here on the forum.

Sorry, I can't fathom who (MW72 or Suradit69?) doesn't understand what I said about atheism and North Korea. and I am not allowed to reply in the correct place.

Well, it makes sense to me! Kim of North Korea may be worshipped but only in the sense that propaganda tells us and certainly not in the spiritual sense. In any event. worshipping a human is not religion and Kim's dynasty is NOT a deity "as such" or otherwise. North Korea is an atheist state and actively discourages religion, nevertheless, though, there are a minority of Buddhists and Christians living there.

Kim is real and therefore we believe he exists. For an atheist, god doesn't exist - quite a difference I think.

Each religion should have the same opportunity.

I believe because I'm used to the habit

I believe because I really think that book X is the truth.

Then there should have been many different variants, which would make the poll list huge. That's why it's good that we can express our thoughts here on the forum.

Failing to see how being agnostic is a religion?

Yes actually. I'm agnostic who don't think there is a god. Then again I'm quite open to the idea that there are some entities who look us like we are ants; the same way we look at ants.

While it would be lovely to get to know the folks who are multiple times more intelligent than we are, I'm not counting of meeting them in my lifetime nor after I'm dead.

To be agnostic is to be open for all the different possibilities. To be religious or even atheist is closing one door and keeping unfortunately keep the door closed what ever happens.

We could also ask "Define God". Is god simply a person who is much smarter than we are?

I think there is little case for anyone being agnostic at all. This is because in arriving at a position of being unable to decide about the existence or otherwise of a god, it pre-supposes the probability ratio is around 50:50. In these circumstances being agnostic is reasonable and fair. Absolute truth is virtually unattainable and therefore, technically, we could be agnostic or undecided about anything.

On the particular subject of whether there is any god or not, the evidence for, is slim indeed and this evidence hasn't changed in thousands of years. The balance of probability/doubt therefore, is more realistically closer to 95:5 that there are no gods and this should be sufficient to deny Agnostics their stance.

I am an Agnostic concerning the possibility of life elsewhere in the Universe. Because there are billions of galaxies and billions of stars in those galaxies, we arrive at a decision from statistical possibility/probability that there might/must be life.

In contrast with my argument above we are talking here only of statistical considerations not evidential ones.

I think there should also be the choice of "Spiritual" on the survey. In America many people do not define themselves by religion, but as spiritual beings. Many billions of people in this world believe in reincarnation and there is a lot of evidence to support this belief. I am not going to go into the evidence here, but with a little research it is possible to read about many substantiated cases of people who have reincarnated. Also we all have the freedom to believe what we want, no God, there is a God, etc. so enjoy your beliefs.

I think it's funny how the religious people are ready to talk only when their victims are weak.

The religious people are so very quiet when their opponents aren't afraid to say what they really think.

I hope we all have grown up thinking that we don't let the bullies to rule our world. Yes, the God sent people are the bullies of the day. Do fight against them.

I know this works only with the people who have stayed free from the religion. It's still a good advice as some of the the 'going to be religious' bullies, might choose better way to live their lives.

Yes actually. I'm agnostic who don't think there is a god. Then again I'm quite open to the idea that there are some entities who look us like we are ants; the same way we look at ants.

While it would be lovely to get to know the folks who are multiple times more intelligent than we are, I'm not counting of meeting them in my lifetime nor after I'm dead.

To be agnostic is to be open for all the different possibilities. To be religious or even atheist is closing one door and keeping unfortunately keep the door closed what ever happens.

We could also ask "Define God". Is god simply a person who is much smarter than we are?

I feel the same way - which is why 'I don't know' is the right option for an agnostic - not 'I don't care' or 'I might change my mind when in trouble'!

Feeling that way (agnostic - don't know) is not a religion.

I think there should also be the choice of "Spiritual" on the survey. In America many people do not define themselves by religion, but as spiritual beings. Many billions of people in this world believe in reincarnation and there is a lot of evidence to support this belief. I am not going to go into the evidence here, but with a little research it is possible to read about many substantiated cases of people who have reincarnated. Also we all have the freedom to believe what we want, no God, there is a God, etc. so enjoy your beliefs.

"Substantiated"?

Really? whistling.gif

How do folks know they have reincarnated? They have memories of their previous lifetimes including their previous names, where they lived, who they knew, their previous parents and siblings. As you get older in this lifetime it is possible to have your own memories returning of other lifetimes. Obviously there will be people on here who will poo poo it....but when you have these experiences within yourself you will know them as truth and nothing anybody says can refute your own experience. As you open yourself to these things more and more will come forward. You cannot do much with this information except to have a better understanding of why you are here now. Many famous people in history have had these experiences but were labelled as crazy, or a witch in the case of Joan of Arc. In this new millennium we will see people becoming more spiritual and opening themselves to the experiences that are available to everybody. If you don't believe in God or an afterlife right now, you will have many more opportunities to open yourself to what is here right now.....but it is difficult to see when the mind is closed to what is all around you.

This is just information to digest between beers or women......I hope it strikes a cord in some of you. This lifetime is about learning......what? You decide.

Had to check, "other" as the question posed, lists Buddhist and those two ideas do not fit together...

"Other" could be Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism, Jainism, Mormonism, Scientology, not to mention more than 40,000 (yes, really) sects within Christianity.

Sometimes unwarranted, but my faith is in real people.

Well the results are coming in as I expected they would...predominantly atheists followed by agnostics. Nice to see Reason prevailing here as opposed to similar polls in the USA, where even though A&A are the fastest growing groups over the past number of years, Christianity still dominates by a large margin.

Ha ...You trouble maker you....lol

Debates about religions and Gods nearly always end in arguments and anger.

Nearly as bad as angry arguments about Chevy's verses Fords verses Mopar...and which is the best?...lol

Cheers

Transom: Amazing how people will come up with some strange argument.....nowhere did I mention animals and reincarnation....you will be into fleas and Mosquitos next.....all these things do not have a soul.

So I imagine I'm gonna be labeled the pit bull a-hole again for calling BS when i hear it. So be it...I'm calling BS!

While there are many claims of reincarnation, there is only a grand total of exactly ZERO proven cases substantiated by actual evidence. To be absolutely clear...ZERO.

Believe whatever you like, but be prepared to be challenged when you freely just misuse and abuse words like substantiated and evidence. Just sayin...

Archived