Whats your belief ?

What do you believe in ?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there should also be the choice of "Spiritual" on the survey. In America many people do not define themselves by religion, but as spiritual beings. Many billions of people in this world believe in reincarnation and there is a lot of evidence to support this belief. I am not going to go into the evidence here, but with a little research it is possible to read about many substantiated cases of people who have reincarnated. Also we all have the freedom to believe what we want, no God, there is a God, etc. so enjoy your beliefs.

So I imagine I'm gonna be labeled the pit bull a-hole again for calling BS when i hear it. So be it...I'm calling BS!

While there are many claims of reincarnation, there is only a grand total of exactly ZERO proven cases substantiated by actual evidence. To be absolutely clear...ZERO.

Believe whatever you like, but be prepared to be challenged when you freely just misuse and abuse words like substantiated and evidence. Just sayin...

Why is there not a possible vote for the definition of agnostic - i.e. 'don't know'?

For some reason the only agnostic options are either 'don't care' or 'might change my mind if in a bad situation'.

Transom: Amazing how people will come up with some strange argument.....nowhere did I mention animals and reincarnation....you will be into fleas and Mosquitos next.....all these things do not have a soul.

Why do they not have a 'soul'?
Right on DD! There is just as much real evidence of animals and fleas and mosquitoes having a soul as humans. Again...zero.

Strange arguments indeed...specificaly yours Mansell.

I think there should also be the choice of "Spiritual" on the survey. In America many people do not define themselves by religion, but as spiritual beings. Many billions of people in this world believe in reincarnation and there is a lot of evidence to support this belief. I am not going to go into the evidence here, but with a little research it is possible to read about many substantiated cases of people who have reincarnated. Also we all have the freedom to believe what we want, no God, there is a God, etc. so enjoy your beliefs.

So I imagine I'm gonna be labeled the pit bull a-hole again for calling BS when i hear it. So be it...I'm calling BS!

While there are many claims of reincarnation, there is only a grand total of exactly ZERO proven cases substantiated by actual evidence. To be absolutely clear...ZERO.

Believe whatever you like, but be prepared to be challenged when you freely just misuse and abuse words like substantiated and evidence. Just sayin...

Why is there not a possible vote for the definition of agnostic - i.e. 'don't know'?

For some reason the only agnostic options are either 'don't care' or 'might change my mind if in a bad situation'.

Sorry the poll doesn't include every possibility. There are just too many. Also, I was having difficulties getting the poll posted and one of the Mods was kind enough to do it for me and these were the choices ready at the time. Other complaints include but not limited to...

"Other" is too broad..."Christianity" is too narrow. Where is "Spiritual" and "Agnostic Atheist? "Hindu"? "Judaism"?

Sent u a PM an explanation too.

Failing to see how being agnostic is a religion?

Yes actually. I'm agnostic who don't think there is a god. Then again I'm quite open to the idea that there are some entities who look us like we are ants; the same way we look at ants.

While it would be lovely to get to know the folks who are multiple times more intelligent than we are, I'm not counting of meeting them in my lifetime nor after I'm dead.

To be agnostic is to be open for all the different possibilities. To be religious or even atheist is closing one door and keeping unfortunately keep the door closed what ever happens.

We could also ask "Define God". Is god simply a person who is much smarter than we are?

I feel the same way - which is why 'I don't know' is the right option for an agnostic - not 'I don't care' or 'I might change my mind when in trouble'!

Feeling that way (agnostic - don't know) is not a religion.

Hi you!

My name is Pekka, what's yours? It's been huge time since I have met an interesting person in Phuket. In fact it has been many years, so please be the one who is not boring.

Ha ...You trouble maker you....lol

Debates about religions and Gods nearly always end in arguments and anger.

Nearly as bad as angry arguments about Chevy's verses Fords verses Mopar...and which is the best?...lol

Cheers

Agreed, but at least Fords and Chevys actually exist! ;-D

Voted "other".

I don't care if there is a god or not but I do care about god bothers trying to ram their crap down my throat.

Glad u took part, but there was a "don't care" option as Agnostic. Since u didn't choose it or Atheist, are u saying u hold a different god belief and are not open to any others? Online one can actually only blame oneself for getting anything crammed down one's throat, as not clicking on the topic or just closing it and not participating are probably the best options.

God does work in mysterious ways.

That's why he watches people masturbate and punishes them rather than feeding the starving children in Africa........................coffee1.gif

Not so mysterious perhaps.

I reckon any such "punishment" would be for using their time, energy & resources masturbating in preference to doing something about the starving children in Africa........................ thumbsup.gif

It is early days yet but it gives me some hope for this world to see the Atheists leading the way. A majority would be nice but longest journeys begin with small steps.

Yes because if the atheists "win" the world will be a better place . North Korea, the real paradise on earth.

One of...if not "thee"...worst analogies ever.

The happiest, wealthiest and most successful nations tend to be the most secular.

The vast majority of scientists and educators of higher learning are without god beliefs.

Religion is not a personally acquired belief system. It is almost entirely determined by your place of birth and indoctrination by your parents, who in turn were so influenced by their birthplace and parents.

Unfortunately, religion makes good people bad and it DOESN'T make bad people good.

What is the purpose of the OP? Is it a serious research question?

Yeah...a serious research project here on TV! hahaha

What's the purpose of any poll? To take the pulse of and gauge the preferences of a particular community.

Also think it's an interesting and important topic that needs to be out there more often.

Superstition is still given WAY too much undeserved special treatment and privilege all over the globe.

Transom: Amazing how people will come up with some strange argument.....nowhere did I mention animals and reincarnation....you will be into fleas and Mosquitos next.....all these things do not have a soul.

And there we have it. That crazy notion that out of all the life on Earth we humans are the special ones. The only ones with souls. The soul is a construct of the human brain. Nothing more nothing less. Open you mind to reality. It is far more wonderful and mysterious than any religion or spiritual teaching.

Voted "other".

I don't care if there is a god or not but I do care about god bothers trying to ram their crap down my throat.

Glad u took part, but there was a "don't care" option as Agnostic. Since u didn't choose it or Atheist, are u saying u hold a different god belief and are not open to any others? Online one can actually only blame oneself for getting anything crammed down one's throat, as not clicking on the topic or just closing it and not participating are probably the best options.

image.jpg

I always thought that Buddhism is a following as opposed to a religion.There is no belief in an actual Diety.

It is obvious that the Buddha existed because so much is written about him.

The same as Yossel Bar Joseph,or as he is called the Nazarene.So much is written that we know he existed.If he was who he said he was,

is the choice of the believer

Its hard to understand that something over 2000 years old,has developed into the biggest business in the world.

Superstition,fear,and ignarance has kept it alive for 2 millennia.

Maybe it would have been best if Caiaphas had succeeded in having his name eradicated from existence.

I think that over the 2000 years,a lot less people would have died.

But i suppose,that as one guy said.

"If people had nothing to believe in,they would invent something".

Ya know, Noah ("gods" follower?) was smart but why the hell save two mosquitoes?

And if mosquitoes have a soul then I am well and truly damned for killing so many of the little s**ts!

But Noah was smart enough to float company when the rest of the world was in liquidation! wai.gif

Perhaps he had a personal God? Nah, just stirring, I am. And being slightly off topic. gigglem.gif

Had to check, "other" as the question posed, lists Buddhist and those two ideas do not fit together...

"Other" could be Hinduism, Sikhism, Judaism, Jainism, Mormonism, Scientology, not to mention more than 40,000 (yes, really) sects within Christianity.

Sometimes unwarranted, but my faith is in real people.

My fault for not being clear. The question dealt with a belief in a god. It then offered Buddhism as one of the choices. Buddhism does not believe in a god, that is, the Enlightened One (Buddha) is not a god.

Belief in God has nothing to do with rationality, or what you say in public. It's to do with your inner core beliefs, which only come out In Extremis. Would you pray when the plane is going down,then you believe in God. There is a saying, presumably from WW1 when the shells were landing - there are no atheists in the trenches. On the other hand, plenty of people say they are religeous in one way or another, but how can they be (really), when they continue to cheat, lie, lead a sensuous life, and worship Mammon, in everyday life. Do I believe in God? Ask me again, when that plane is going down.

It is early days yet but it gives me some hope for this world to see the Atheists leading the way. A majority would be nice but longest journeys begin with small steps.

Yes because if the atheists "win" the world will be a better place . North Korea, the real paradise on earth.

Bad people do bad things, regardless if it is NC or elsewhere

But it takes religion to get good people to do bad things.

Belief in God has nothing to do with rationality, or what you say in public. It's to do with your inner core beliefs, which only come out In Extremis. Would you pray when the plane is going down,then you believe in God. There is a saying, presumably from WW1 when the shells were landing - there are no atheists in the trenches. On the other hand, plenty of people say they are religeous in one way or another, but how can they be (really), when they continue to cheat, lie, lead a sensuous life, and worship Mammon, in everyday life. Do I believe in God? Ask me again, when that plane is going down.

While it may certainly be true that some atheists have invoked the name of some deity when facing eminent death, it's more likely that nearly all of these "deathbed conversions" are just religious propaganda. There has been exactly this type of BS started recently about the late great Christopher Hitchens and it is patently untrue, yet I'm sure most if not all believers have taken and run with it just to suit their agenda. Just like the claims of their beliefs, it doesn't matter if it's true or fact and evidence based...just that it's something they can claim to further their "holey" cause.

I'm no psychologist, but not sure that a person in a situation of extreme fear and distress and eminent death is capable of making rational decisions. At very least, it's doubtful that this supposed conversion was an honest and faithful change of heart, with total acceptance...but rather an act of wild desperation.

And what deity would be invoked by a lifelong rational polyatheist in their final seconds? Having never believed in any of the thousands of possibilities, how comforting would it be knowing the odds are highly against calling out to the right one?

And just for the argument, let's just wildly pretend that all atheists really made this desperate last second conversion...still gives us no evidence nor brings us an iota closer to knowing if there is any deity.

Desperate times may call for desperate measures, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

While it may certainly be true that some atheists have invoked the name of some deity when facing eminent death, it's more likely that nearly all of these "deathbed conversions" are just religious propaganda. There has been exactly this type of BS started recently about the late great Christopher Hitchens and it is patently untrue, yet I'm sure most if not all believers have taken and run with it just to suit their agenda. Just like the claims of their beliefs, it doesn't matter if it's true or fact and evidence based...just that it's something they can claim to further their "holey" cause.

I'm no psychologist, but not sure that a person in a situation of extreme fear and distress and eminent death is capable of making rational decisions. At very least, it's doubtful that this supposed conversion was an honest and faithful change of heart, with total acceptance...but rather an act of wild desperation.

And what deity would be invoked by a lifelong rational polyatheist in their final seconds? Having never believed in any of the thousands of possibilities, how comforting would it be knowing the odds are highly against calling out to the right one?

And just for the argument, let's just wildly pretend that all atheists really made this desperate last second conversion...still gives us no evidence nor brings us an iota closer to knowing if there is any deity.

Desperate times may call for desperate measures, but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

No one is suggesting that the atheist crying out "god save me" as the plane is going down or the shells are exploding metres away is having any kind of last second conversion to religion, only some kind of reflex action that is probably a result of nothing more than some early childhood brainwashing. I'm sure that someone who has been brought up in a culture or society where there has never been a mention of a deity. is not going to scream out "god save me".

No one is suggesting that the atheist crying out "god save me" as the plane is going down or the shells are exploding metres away is having any kind of last second conversion to religion, only some kind of reflex action that is probably a result of nothing more than some early childhood brainwashing. I'm sure that someone who has been brought up in a culture or society where there has never been a mention of a deity. is not going to scream out "god save me".
While I absolutely agree with you, doesn't it seem that Nausea is suggesting something of this sort?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Nausea stated that these "staring-death-in-the-face" invocations are confirmation of one's true beliefs and only 'come out In Extremis'. I disagree and assume you do too, based on the great points you made above...childhood and cultural indoctrination...with which I'm totally on board.

I interpret his last 2 sentences as...I don't know if I'm an atheist and can't ever know until the plane is going down or on my deathbed, etc. This seems a blanket statement and a huge strech. I remember a bit of great advice from Psychology 101...never make important decisions when emotional or distressed.

While WE are definitely on the same page, don't you think that he is suggesting that these "deathbed conversions" actually mean alot more than you and I?

While I absolutely agree with you, doesn't it seem that Nausea is suggesting something of this sort?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, Nausea stated that these "staring-death-in-the-face" invocations are confirmation of one's true beliefs and only 'come out In Extremis'. I disagree and assume you do too, based on the great points you made above...childhood and cultural indoctrination...with which I'm totally on board.

I interpret his last 2 sentences as...I don't know if I'm an atheist and can't ever know until the plane is going down or on my deathbed, etc. This seems a blanket statement and a huge strech. I remember a bit of great advice from Psychology 101...never make important decisions when emotional or distressed.

While WE are definitely on the same page, don't you think that he is suggesting that these "deathbed conversions" actually mean alot more than you and I?

He does mention "inner core beliefs" which I interpret as only something that could have been taught to you, not inherent at all. I'm sure anyone who has been raised without religion still ponders the same old questions, ie. how the universe was created, what happens when we die etc. After all, religion was created to supposedly answer those questions.

Bad people do bad things, regardless if it is NC or elsewhere

But it takes religion to get good people to do bad things.

Religion and nationalism....

I agree.

Then again, majority of people are de facto atheists. Majority of people do religious things as it has been polite to do so.

In my county, people 'belong to the church' mainly because the church offers nice environment for weddings. Very few people go to the churches except for the times it's socially mandatory.

As the knowledge increases, beliefs reduces.

No "doing religious things" doesn't necessarily mean you're an atheist.

I find it strange that you don't seem to hold a place for people who are believers but don't want to practice any religion as per rules that are human-made or come from a book of dubious origins.

As for an automatic reduction of beliefs with education, this doesn't seem obvious to me.

Maturation of society and democracy going towards the elimination of anything religious from all state matters seems natural to me, though, and I'm all for it. I happen to live in a country that has separation of church and state deeply ingrained. Our president doesn't swear on any religious book and just cannot say "God bless<country>". That would be outrageous and probably a reason for him/her to be impeached.

Wasn't aware that Thailand had a president.

Archived