3BB vs True online pricing

recom273

I just received a visit from true online - the price for 30meg fibre is 799 and 18 meg over copper is 699.

I currently pay 900 for 18 to 3BB and I have been resisting calls from the wife to change to a true visions package because 6 years ago I went to the shop and asked for a package for mobile, TV and Internet and they laughed at me and said no no no not in Thailand, but now it's looking like a move is in order.

I called to 3BB and some weak call center rep just read off a price list to me, I said I'm happy with the service but don't you have a customer retention dept that can tell me why I shouldn't leave you and why aren't you giving me the same price, as true, saving me 1200B a year.

I'm supposed to be getting a callback from the supervisor but I doubt that very much.

Apparently they don't monitor competitors pricing ???

Has anyone else faced this issue ? Maybe you have changed and regretted it.

True has so many different packages, various pricing, etc...and it changes frequently. Sounds like at Bt799 they have have offered you is the package at below link which includes 30Mb speed internet, 95 TV channels, a 3G SIM with X-talk minutes and/or 3G data, and phone line...plus a True card that provides some discounts on some product/services at various merchants.

A person does need to watch for promotions because they seem to get better and better, and cheaper and cheaper each year.

http://trueonline.truecorp.co.th/product-service/super-fiber/entry/5349

Edit: also keep something in mind if going for one of those combo packages that include TV, internet, phone 3G, landline, etc., that it is a "package" of a lot of services. Say another company comes along later with super duper "internet" only package in speed/price which is better than your package with the other company. Well, you may have to cancel the entire TV/internet/3G/landline combo plan with your current company in other to drop just the internet portion, but at the same time starting a new package with them which includes just TV and/or 3G....I think you get my drift. Then you go establish that super duper internet plan with the other provider. Like me right now I have the TrueVision Platinum package with "four" settop boxes...and boxes 3 and 4 don's cost me a penny under this older plan...the new plan does not offer the 4th box free...only the 3rd box...and my older plan is cheaper. And then I have a separate True internet plan which gives flexibility to jump to another internet company if desired without affecting my True TV service. And then I have DTAC postpad 3G service....had True 3G service for the first 6 months in Thailand but cancelled them for piss poor service. Definitely take a look at the combo packages but keep in mind one reason the companies like to rope a person into a combo package is not only to make money for the company, but it tends to keep the person from changing to other companies when the combo package turns into a pain to change because you can't change just a portion of it....it kinda like making it too painful to want to change. Just a consideration.

Edited by Pib

I called 3BB just last week and was told that 18/1.8 was 590 Baht, and I think 8% discount if paid 1 year in advance.

Aren't 3BB prices same nationwide?

I don't know, the wife says I pay 900. This is the price I paid when I set up the account 5-6 years back and they have been continually upgrading the line speed ever since.

But on the back of the bill I can get 20/4 for 590B.

It seems strange, I remember years ago in the UK I learnt of the customer retention dept of Orange network. I just called to see if I could get out of a contract and was passed over and the rep negotiated for me to stay, offering an immediate cancellation of contract and a new upgraded phone with free calls, sms, free data, better than any publicized package.

It seems strange, I remember years ago in the UK I learnt of the customer retention dept of Orange network. I just called to see if I could get out of a contract and was passed over and the rep negotiated for me to stay, offering an immediate cancellation of contract and a new upgraded phone with free calls, sms, free data, better than any publicized package.

That use to happen to me in the U.S. also, but it has never happened in Thailand. Most they'll do is try to convince you to switch to another "advertised" promotion.

I still have the 590b p/m (631b with tax) 3BB package - 10mb down.

Perhaps it's time to change.I must say though, that 3BB have been fantastic to deal with, couldn't fault them a dime.

Yes, I don't know why they haven't insisted I change to this package.

I don't want to change, the service has been great and I respect good service.

Would someone believe me I pay 1400 baht to True for 16/1 mb? Well that is until the end of this month when I switch to 3bb 100/10mb for a mere 1200 baht. 3bb seems to offer good service. I noticed the 3bb car at a neighbor's address yesterday and asked about their fffx service. He noted down my telephone number and today they called me they could install today right away with having the service guys bring along the contract.

Edited by sniffdog

OK .. I got an interesting callback from 3BB, they should ban all call centre staff from answering questions above their station.

The 900B package I have is an unadvertised package. It started at 8-10 meg and has been upgraded over the past few years to 18 meg.

I use my line to connect to my server in Europe, a server I have had for a few years. I had issues with speeds Vs DL slots and this was the best option 3BB came up with, as there is a limit to the number of users on this line, the next step up was a dedicated line at 1000B per 1meg.

The supervisor wasn't quite accurate with his info because he knew no better, he said the package I use is for visiting overseas websites and the cheaper packages were fine for visiting domestic sites ( which means sites cache'd by 3BB ). So it looks like moving to a cheaper package with true online wouldn't be cost effective for me.

Yes, agreed, I think 3BB offer a great service - I don't know what they say is true, but I have always been happy with ftp transfer speeds since we set up the path and server settings.

So, no need to change. Cheaper isn't always best.

I still have the 590b p/m (631b with tax) 3BB package - 10mb down.

Perhaps it's time to change.I must say though, that 3BB have been fantastic to deal with, couldn't fault them a dime.

We just got installed 3BB 590baht 18.X/1.8 mbps adsl - when we signed up it was 10/1 mbps at that price but it changed before the wire when in. Speed test and see if your getting 18 in Thailand. I get 18.5 with 21msec ping to Bangkok - most speed test beyond have run about 3mb on average so depending on where and how you test you may have 18 and don't even know it. Downloads with a 4 part manager from outside can make it to 8-9mbps and I have had a linux torrent today that ran 16mbps for the complete 4gb file. If you ask they maybe will just adjust the cap your on if it is not already 18mbps. I know my main update site in Japan will sometimes run 6mbps but it is up and down 3 - 6mbps some of that maybe is the server to and that is an FTP source.

Having had True and 3BB I would say 3BB has been better overall. Obviously it is personal choice but I would not consider the cost to be the major factor. I always had better support from 3BB which is worth a few extra Baht. At the end of the day the individual has to make the decision as to which one to go with, no one else can really make that decision for you

I had the 16Mbps 3BB service for a few years, but in the last couple months the line quality had degraded and they were unable to find the fault. So I just replaced it with 3BB FTTH 100/10 for 1200 a month. I run 4 computers, 4 phones, 3 ipads and 2 kindles and still can hit 125Mbps down and 12 up. Not only that it was delivered a day after I ordered it.

post-30837-0-00174700-1464313183_thumb.j

I called 3BB just last week and was told that 18/1.8 was 590 Baht, and I think 8% discount if paid 1 year in advance.

Aren't 3BB prices same nationwide?

I pay 1588 THB per month for 20/2 from 3BB

I've been on this package since Sept 2012.

Edit: This is in Bangkok btw.

Edited by seancbk

The supervisor wasn't quite accurate with his info because he knew no better, he said the package I use is for visiting overseas websites and the cheaper packages were fine for visiting domestic sites ( which means sites cache'd by 3BB ). So it looks like moving to a cheaper package with true online wouldn't be cost effective for me.

That sounds like 3BB's old Premier plan which cost more than their regular plan but gave faster foriegn speeds.

That sounds like 3BB's old Premier plan which cost more than their regular plan but gave faster foriegn speeds.
Thanks .. Yeah, it's some kind of premiere package, it's been so long since we set everything.

I understand that the 590 package may produce speeds but the reason for this package was for an increase in speed over multiple DL/UL slots which I use from my torrent seedbox in France to Thailand.

Just out of interest, when a fibre link is installed, do they run it to the router or to the cab.

I have conduit on the outside where the incoming line runs to a ground floor dp. The line from the dp runs through the wall to my office upstairs where the router is situated. I would hate to see bare cables thrown on my tiled carport and an ugly router stuck on the wall.

Edited by recom273

As mentioned in another post 3BB have now started offering 50mb/10mb fttx or ftth for 700 baht, down from 2500. There was some big announcement in the press, they want to counter AIS and their goal to be the number 2 player in the next few years.

Yes. I have this packge of 50/10 at 3BB about 1 month, its working good.

Pay 690B per month. Stay in Bangkok.

post-175898-0-55878600-1464330492_thumb.

I have been with True for a few years, then learned that I was paying nearly double what I would with TV and Phone. I switched to the new package (fresh 12 month commitment), but soon learned to regret it.

I don't have the land line as I told them that wasn't necessary, but I would like Fibre (no problem, they said). I also said for the extra small price (95 baht) I may as well have the TV as well since it has a decent looking array of channels (errr...yeah, but all those English sounding names are actually Thai channels except for an endless repeating movie channel, a kids channel, and what is on home cable for Asia News/Fox etc). Waste of space (gf prefers her phone for TV soap movie downloads, and I use TeeVee.io box which costs nothing per month after you've bought the box). I also asked why am I still on cable internet and not fibre, since the penalty clause for breaking the 12 month contract is for recovery of their hardware and a charge for the engineer to remove cabling, as well as charging for installing the fibre) - no problem I thought - since they didn't supply me they can't charge me.

Then the real annoying one: The phone. I was always on PAYG with DTAC and quite happy with it, It took 3 months for them to transfer the number, so my [ahem] 'Free' 100 minutes per month weren't usable (and not carried forward of course), then the charge per minute is 1.5baht+VAT instead of 90 satang inclusive as I was, and an SMS is 10 baht.

I was under the impression that a contract was to allow them to offer a better deal for you commitment, not corner then shaft you. This created a lot of tension between gf and me (True..True? They're the opposite of their espoused values....and FREE? I'll just keep the free part then and see what they say) "but Thais like the word Free not like farang"...and it went on.

She said okay I will go tomorrow. You come with me? I said I can come with you but I also know their English isn't up to much in that branch, and my Thai is even worse, and all the flak you've just thrown at me I'm wondering if you work for True or if you're on my side, so if I go then I'll take all that frustration you pointed at me that should have been at True, plus all the frustration I have with True myself, and I can't promise I won't have to either leave the building and tell them to forget about it (which would create a problem for myself), or let 'em have it (also no good in this country, and not my normal style anyhow).

She went alone and they agreed to put me back on PAYG where I can choose a 'promotion' that best suits me (promotions are excluded from contracts btw, or that's what they say), and the TV they can take or leave. I will stick as per their recommendation until the remainder of the contract expires then they'll put me on 799baht for 30Mb Fibre (except they also say they can't do Fibre where I am (about 1Km from Udon Central). So I'm resigned to accepting that and then from what I'm reading above I will likely consider 3BB for the internet, and drop the rest. They could have a good customer out of me as they have done for years, but.... Oh nothing, I'm just doing a farang rant so I'll get me coat shall I.

I recently upgraded my 3BB package to 50mb/10mb VDSL for 700 Baht pm.

I saw this deal mentioned it is their old 2,500 baht package reduced to 700 because AIS was on the scene offering good deals. I talked to their service person and they knew absolutely nothing about this. I am surprised you have already been able to obtain it. It was presuming that the big shots were bantying this about in the news and it had not yet filtered down to the workers in the trenches.

3BB package to 50mb/10mb VDSL for 700 Baht pm.

VDSL

Is that where it comes in through the house's telephone line?

We have the 10mb for 590b p/m - wifi router. I think it is ADSL.

What is the difference between VDSL and ADSL? I'd be happy to pay 100+ baht more p/m and go from 10m to 50mb down.

Thanks.

VDSL

What is the difference between VDSL and ADSL? I'd be happy to pay 100+ baht more p/m and go from 10m to 50mb down.

Thanks.

I'm in the same deal,except they upgraded me and many others to 18 down and 1.8 up(getting about 17 and 1.7,locally).

Coming to an area near you soon?.

I believe you need a different modem/router,I paid extra for their best 150 meter range one. Seems to work well.

And like you,to get 50 down for 100B more,worth buying another router.

But any downside to VDSL,compared to ADSL?(international traffic etc?)

It's working very well and I dont want to make a mistake.

Cheers

VDSL

Thanks.

I'm in the same deal,except they upgraded me and many others to 18 down and 1.8 up(getting about 17 and 1.7,locally).

I live near DM airport in Bkk, so shouldn't be an issue. Did you go to them and ask to be upgraded? I presume you did.

I can try it at the weekend, I think they have a shop/stall at the local shopping center we go to. Cheers.

VDSL

Thanks.

I live near DM airport in Bkk, so shouldn't be an issue. Did you go to them and ask to be upgraded? I presume you did.

I can try it at the weekend, I think they have a shop/stall at the local shopping center we go to. Cheers.

No,they did the upgrade automatically.

If fact,I only checked because of another thread on here somewhere.

Have you done a speed test to check,you've not already been upgraded?.

I may be moving and will ask about that VDSL 50mbs for 690 at the same time,fibre is not available here in Kanchanaburi yet(as far as I'm aware?).

Yeah, I checked with a speed test and still the same speeds - around 11mb local, 7mb with California servers.

My UK speed(6/7mb)has remained the same,after the upgrade. It'ss thru a VPN(Hotspot shield),but locally its gone up to around 17MB/1.7MB.

I'm hoping the VDSL will have better International speeds,if I move or relocate,it's a one year contact again.

2000B deposit on the new VDSL router,but you can buy your own router and no depsoit needed.

They do have Fiber here,100/10MB for 1200b with a 3,000b deposit for that router.

You get the deposit back after the years up,the VDSL router supplied,they only have one grade.

post-99099-14644282146307_thumb.jpg

post-99099-14644282300253_thumb.jpg

post-99099-14644282442452_thumb.jpg

After almost 10 years with True Online for internet, I switched to 3BB last month for their 100/10 Mbps fiber to the home service for 1200b+ per month.

Thus far, 3BB's speeds, both local and international, have been substantially faster than the old 30/3Mbps True Online cable service I'd had, which actually was the combo internet, a package of entirely Thai language cable channels, and 100 calling minutes per month on a TrueMove H SIM. True seems to be calling their cable service fiber lately, and it may well involve fiber at some point up the line, but what they were actually providing in my area of BKK was still the same old coax cable into my home connection with a cable modem/router.

The 3BB service is in fact fiber, with the fiber line run all the way into my home and connecting to a Huawei fiber modem/router.

A couple of things about 3BB, though, at least in BKK.

--If you sign up for the account under a farang's name, they seem to want anywhere from 6 months to 1 year prepayment. If you sign up under your Thai wife or any Thai's name, then they're fine with 1 month prepayment.

--The 3BB service does involve an initial 1-year service commitment. But from talking to them at length about it, they promised that if we needed to move during the initial year and they provided service at the new location, then they'd simply transfer our service to the new address. If we needed to move to some location where they could NOT provide service, then we'd be on the hook for the initial installation charge that was waived and a setup fee, which together I think was going to total 6 or 8,000 baht. We're not planning to move, but I just wanted to understand their terms.

--3BB does have English language customer service staff on their telephone hotline, and while I haven't tested this personally, the last time I talked with them, they told me that their English language support is available 24/7.

One thing I would advise to anyone in general though, is that it pays to periodically check and see what CURRENT packages your ISP is offering, especially if you're beyond the initial 1 year service commitment. As has been mentioned, they're often in the mode of offering better speed packages at lower costs as time goes on. So if you're still paying for and getting a service offering at a speed and price that was quoted some years ago, you're likely paying too much and getting too little. Both providers, AFAIK, are fine to upgrade the plans of existing customers upon request.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Wish I had a wider choice of ISPs. My only two choices here in my western Bangkok is TOT ADSL up to 20Mb or True DOCSIS/cable up to 100Mb or 200Mb (I know for sure they do 100Mb on DOCSIS but not sure about 200Mb....fiber may be used starting at 200Mb)...and they have fiber speed up to 1000Mb. True kinda just calls it Fiber Cable Internet (FCI) now since their fiber and cable system interface...and probably want to make people think DOCSIS is fiber optics since fiber optics is a buzz phrase now...people automatically relate fiber optics with fast internet speed. Over the last year in my moobaan they "supplemented" the DOCSIS/cable with fiber optics to increase its capacity but it still basically a DOCSIS system; no fiber to home plans available for my moobaan.

But in comparison to 3BBs 100Mb fiber plan at 1200 baht, the True FCI 100Mb plan costs 4,999 baht, but you get some Thai TV with it worth about 50 baht. I keep hoping True will lower the cost of their FCI plans with the fiber competition from 3BB, AIS, TOT in keep reading about, but I guess the competition is not wide spread enough yet to hurt too much maybe because True may be one provider in some areas/have very limited competition in many areas.

AIS strung some fiber optics in my moobaan about 6 months ago on the main sois. Strung just the beginning of a trunk line supposedly but they haven't started any service....maybe they will in the near future as they have some good and fast fiber plans now...like 50Mb down/10Mb up for Bt888...and even cheaper if an AIS customer already...see below image). I even called AIS last week and they said there is no AIS internet service for my area...just watch for signs in my area if and when it arrives. I know when True started installing the DOCSIS/cable in my moobaan years ago it took them close to 18 months from the beginning to going operational....took their sweet time with periods of a couple of months of just completely stopping work...then crews would come back in and work more on stringing the trunk line cable/equipment around the moobaan sois.

Yea, wish I had more ISP choices...how many choices you may have are driven by location, location, location....for me, it's only TOT ADSL and True DOCSIS right now....and I'm not taking a step back to poor service by getting a TOT ADSL plan again.

post-55970-0-69981800-1464507305_thumb.j

post-55970-0-71240700-1464508131_thumb.j