40 years for Vietnamese man accused in plot to bomb Heathrow

rooster59

40 years for Vietnamese man accused in plot to bomb Heathrow

LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — A Vietnamese man was sentenced Friday to 40 years in prison by a judge who said she believed he plotted to carry out a suicide bombing at London's Heathrow Airport.

Still, U.S. District Judge Alison J. Nathan showed 33-year-old Minh Quang Pham a measure of leniency, too, noting that he had renounced all terrorism and said he was ashamed of having provided material support in 2011 to al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.

She rejected a government request that Pham be sentenced to 50 years in prison, though she also said the 30 years in prison requested by the defense was insufficient.

Nathan said Pham deserved an "exceptionally severe sentence" after he became a trusted, skilled and dedicated resource for the terrorist group, lending his abilities as a graphic artist to Inspire magazine, a publication that the government has said was used by the brothers who carried out the deadly Boston Marathon bombing in April 2013 to learn how to create pressure-cooker bombs.

She said she believes the government's claims that Pham planned to carry out "a horrific suicide bombing" at Heathrow Airport after he returned to London in the summer of 2011.

Extradited from London in March 2015, Pham had pleaded guilty in January to terrorism charges, but he didn't agree that he intended to carry out the plot.

Prosecutors said Pham was directed during several months of training in Yemen by U.S.-born, extremist Islamic preacher and al-Qaida leader Anwar Al-Awlaki to detonate explosives in the arrivals area. Al-Awlaki was killed in a drone attack in Yemen in September 2011.

Pham cried briefly as he told the judge a long sentence under harsh prison conditions would keep him away from his family for decades.

He said he never intended to hurt anyone.

"I never committed an act of violence," he said. "I made a terrible mistake. I regret it very much."

In a letter to the judge before sentencing, Pham said he was renouncing "all acts of terrorism and all extreme ideology."

He also wrote that he would "personally condemn" the Sept. 11 attacks, saying they were "a shameful and provocative act."

The judge read aloud some of his statements renouncing terrorism as she announced the sentence, saying his decision to do so was a factor in her decision-making.

As Assistant U.S. Attorney Anna Skotko described why she believed a 50-year sentence was appropriate, the judge interrupted her to ask what she thought of Pham's contrition and claims to now renounce terrorism.

"We don't think they are credible," she said. "His actions speak louder than his words."

In arguing for leniency, defense attorney Bobbi Sternheim said Pham might have no country to return to after he finished his prison term since his citizenship in the United Kingdom was taken away. She pointed to her client, noting his slim build.

"He certainly is not the picture of al-Qaida," she said.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2016-05-28

Why would a Vietnamese want to bomb Heathrow? They had absolutely nothing to do with the war in Vietnam.They stayed home

He was a member of a certain religion, spreading god's will and pieces of the infidels.

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/03/london-man-al-qaida-extradited-new-york-faces-life-sentence

Edited by 12DrinkMore

Why would a Vietnamese want to bomb Heathrow? They had absolutely nothing to do with the war in Vietnam.They stayed home

As has been said, anyone can be radicalized. However your comment about Brit's staying home during the Vietnam war is not completely accurate, while small by comparison it's been estimated that roughly 3,500 Brit's volunteered, and I'm sure I heard that anyone from the British Army that wanted to join in were released from their commitment, and allowed to cross the pond. Plus of course there were those who had work visas etc, and had been in the US for 6 months or more that were drafted, I imagine at least a few served rather than go to Canada or hightail it back to Blighty. I know it's not large numbers, but all the same worth knowing.

Pham cried briefly as he told the judge a long sentence under harsh prison conditions would keep him away from his family for decades.

Poor little scumbag.

What about the deaths of the victims he was planning to kill? All those families that would have been ripped apart by his actions?

It is a total waste of money keeping him in prison for forty years. Do the world a favour, take him around the corner, a bit of excess lead in the head, and into a dumpster. Perfect.

May his life in prison be hell.

As has been said, anyone can be radicalized. However your comment about Brit's staying home during the Vietnam war is not completely accurate, while small by comparison it's been estimated that roughly 3,500 Brit's volunteered, and I'm sure I heard that anyone from the British Army that wanted to join in were released from their commitment, and allowed to cross the pond. Plus of course there were those who had work visas etc, and had been in the US for 6 months or more that were drafted, I imagine at least a few served rather than go to Canada or hightail it back to Blighty. I know it's not large numbers, but all the same worth knowing.

If any Brits were there it was under an Aussie flag and not The Flag of St.George.Canada was there after the Paris Peace cease fire agreement as observers (unarmed).along with The Poles.. February 1973 to April 1975

Edited by sanukjim

A significant number of SAS worked under the guise of the NZ and Australian military. They also resigned their commissions in the UK to transfer over, all with the govts blessing. The UK govt denied this at the time but they also gave out something like 40 medals to combatants in the Vietnam war, although their names and details have never been disclosed.

In arguing for leniency, defense attorney Bobbi Sternheim said Pham might have no country to return to after he finished his prison term since his citizenship in the United Kingdom was taken away.

We are consistantly told this cannot be done, to take away someones citizenship, giving them nowhere to go,

That is part of the argument regarding we are not allowed to stop people coming back who have gone off to the middle east to fight.

In arguing for leniency, defense attorney Bobbi Sternheim said Pham might have no country to return to after he finished his prison term since his citizenship in the United Kingdom was taken away.

We are consistantly told this cannot be done, to take away someones citizenship, giving them nowhere to go,

That is part of the argument regarding we are not allowed to stop people coming back who have gone off to the middle east to fight.

I believe that unfortunately Citizenship can only be taken from those who have dual nationality. However lengthy prison terms can, and should be given to people like Pham, as well as those returning from fighting with terrorist organizations, also those who assisted, persuaded, coerced, or indoctrinated them... Even those who knew where they were going and what they were doing but said nothing to the authorities.

I believe that unfortunately Citizenship can only be taken from those who have dual nationality. However lengthy prison terms can, and should be given to people like Pham, as well as those returning from fighting with terrorist organizations, also those who assisted, persuaded, coerced, or indoctrinated them... Even those who knew where they were going and what they were doing but said nothing to the authorities.

In Oz, it certainly can be revoked.

"The power to revoke an Australian citizenship is vested with the Minister of Immigration and Citizenship (the Minister) and can be done so in the following instances:

• the person has been found guilty of making a false or misleading statement in relating to their citizenship application

• the person has been convicted of an offence against either an Australian or foreign law and have either been sentenced to death, or a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more

• the person has been convicted of a serious criminal offence and has been sentenced to at least 12 months imprisonment at any time prior to becoming a citizen

• the person has gained citizenship either through migration, or third party fraud

• the Minister is satisfied that it would be contrary to the public interest if a person remains an Australian citizen.

Readers should be aware that children under the age of 18 can also have their citizenship revoked, unless one of the parents of the child is a citizen. Although the Minister cannot revoke a person’s citizenship if they have disclosed all relevant information, and citizenship has been granted. Additionally, the Australian Citizenship Act (the Act) prevents a Minister from revoking a person’s citizenship if he or she is unable to become a national or citizen of another country, and in such a case, the Minister cannot cancel the person’s citizenship status.

One of the more interesting aspects of the Act can be found in s 35(1)(B) and s 35(2), which states; that a person ceases to be an Australian citizen if they choose to serve in the military of another nation that is engaged in armed conflict with Australia.

Revoking a person’s citizenship is a serious undertaking and the action can only be carried out under limited circumstances. Also, allow us to reemphasise that if you are a citizen by birth, or have already been granted citizenship legitimately, you will remain an Australian unless you choose to renounce your citizenship." http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4356/can-you-ever-lose-your-australian-citizenship-stat.aspx

Note the emboldened section. This is to exclude those Oz citizens granted citizenship from another country (sometimes automatically) by reason of their parentage. Greek/Australians are a prime example

Seems the only real evidence they have is that he aided Al Quaeda with his graphic arts skills. They havent disclosed any solid evidence that he intended to bomb the airport.

Given the history of Vietnam enduring constant war, famine, and more recently, victims of chemical warfare by US, it's rather amazing how well-adjusted they are as a country and society. I feel far safer in their cities at night compared to many developed countries,

I would bet there are far more Brits/Aussies/Yanks that have joined and aided Al Quaeda than Vietnamese.

Seems the only real evidence they have is that he aided Al Quaeda with his graphic arts skills. They havent disclosed any solid evidence that he intended to bomb the airport.

Given the history of Vietnam enduring constant war, famine, and more recently, victims of chemical warfare by US, it's rather amazing how well-adjusted they are as a country and society. I feel far safer in their cities at night compared to many developed countries,

I would bet there are far more Brits/Aussies/Yanks that have joined and aided Al Quaeda than Vietnamese.

And that is because I doubt that Vietnam has any Muslims from there..Catholics,Buddhist,and Taoist.mostly

And that is because I doubt that Vietnam has any Muslims from there..Catholics,Buddhist,and Taoist.mostly

The have a few

Much like Hinduism, adherence to Islam in Vietnam is primarily associated with the Cham ethnic minority, although there is also a Muslim population of mixed ethnic origins, also known as Cham, or Cham Muslims, in the southwest (Mekong Delta) of the country.

But the Vietnamese have the right policies.

the Vietnamese continue to destroy evidence of Cham culture and artifacts left behind, plundering or building on top of Cham temples, building farms over them, banning Cham religious practices, and omitting references to the destroyed Cham capital of Song Luy in the 1832 invasion in history books and tourist guides. The situation of Cham compared to ethnic Vietnamese is substandard, lacking water and electricity and living in houses made out of mud.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Vietnam#Islam

thumbsup.gif

Pity Europe can't adopt the same.

Edited by 12DrinkMore

If any Brits were there it was under an Aussie flag and not The Flag of St.George.Canada was there after the Paris Peace cease fire agreement as observers (unarmed).along with The Poles.. February 1973 to April 1975

The flag of St. George is not the flag of Britain. So they certainly wouldn't have been under it.

In Oz, it certainly can be revoked.

"The power to revoke an Australian citizenship is vested with the Minister of Immigration and Citizenship (the Minister) and can be done so in the following instances:

• the person has been found guilty of making a false or misleading statement in relating to their citizenship application

• the person has been convicted of an offence against either an Australian or foreign law and have either been sentenced to death, or a term of imprisonment for 12 months or more

• the person has been convicted of a serious criminal offence and has been sentenced to at least 12 months imprisonment at any time prior to becoming a citizen

• the person has gained citizenship either through migration, or third party fraud

• the Minister is satisfied that it would be contrary to the public interest if a person remains an Australian citizen.

Readers should be aware that children under the age of 18 can also have their citizenship revoked, unless one of the parents of the child is a citizen. Although the Minister cannot revoke a person’s citizenship if they have disclosed all relevant information, and citizenship has been granted. Additionally, the Australian Citizenship Act (the Act) prevents a Minister from revoking a person’s citizenship if he or she is unable to become a national or citizen of another country, and in such a case, the Minister cannot cancel the person’s citizenship status.

One of the more interesting aspects of the Act can be found in s 35(1)(cool.png and s 35(2), which states; that a person ceases to be an Australian citizen if they choose to serve in the military of another nation that is engaged in armed conflict with Australia.

Revoking a person’s citizenship is a serious undertaking and the action can only be carried out under limited circumstances. Also, allow us to reemphasise that if you are a citizen by birth, or have already been granted citizenship legitimately, you will remain an Australian unless you choose to renounce your citizenship." http://www.findlaw.com.au/articles/4356/can-you-ever-lose-your-australian-citizenship-stat.aspx

Note the emboldened section. This is to exclude those Oz citizens granted citizenship from another country (sometimes automatically) by reason of their parentage. Greek/Australians are a prime example

Much that Brits and Aussies jibe at each other (not always good natured), my impression of Aussies was formed back in Vietnam and when push came to shove the Aussies were always there. As a Brit. the above piece of legislation is something Britain could look at, it would certainly have curtailed some well known embarrassments.