(Non-Thai) Dual national entering Thailand using two names

Hi Guys!

I am new to this forum. I am planning to travel to Thailand (a short 3-4 day visit only). I have dual nationalities (Taiwanese and American) and different first names. The U.S. passport doesn't require me a visa but the Taiwanese one does. However, because of my airline frequent flyer status, I still prefer to travel using my Taiwanese passport and therefore book the ticket under my Taiwanese name.

The problem is, if I book the round-trip ticket using my Taiwanese name, would I still be able to clear Thai immigration using my American passport? If I enter Thailand with my American passport, I will have to use my American passport when I leave Thailand. But there will be my Taiwanese name on my boarding pass. Would the exit immigration officer check and give me a hard time if that doesn't match my name on my U.S. passport (the one I use to enter)?

Apologize if the question sounds a bit confusing but I thought here is the best place to ask. Thanks in advance for all your advice!

Edited by jkase

You can leave anywhere on one passport and enter anywhere else on another. In general, when entering by air - they won't be looking for entry/exit stamps from a previous destination anyway. Mainly because many people won't have them (for example an EU national landing in Bangkok won't have a stamp in or out of the EU).

Since it is only your first name that is different it should not be a problem. I am not sure how closely immigration checks the passenger lists. If asked about it perhaps show something with your other first name on it.

Agree with Joe. You shouldn't have a problem with immigration when you arrive. Enter on your US passport and complete the arrival form quoting the first name in that passport. (Have the other passport handy, in the unlikely event of a question).

When exiting the country, you will be questioned because the immigration desk will check that your name on the boarding pass matches your US passport, so you will need to show the other passport and explain.

Perhaps when booking the ticket, you can put your US first name as your middle name on the booking, which will help eliminate questions.

Agree with Joe. You shouldn't have a problem with immigration when you arrive. Enter on your US passport and complete the arrival form quoting the first name in that passport. (Have the other passport handy, in the unlikely event of a question).

When exiting the country, you will be questioned because the immigration desk will check that your name on the boarding pass matches your US passport, so you will need to show the other passport and explain.

Perhaps when booking the ticket, you can put your US first name as your middle name on the booking, which will help eliminate questions.

Thanks everyone! I wonder if there have been anyone done that before? using the passport leaving Thailand while boarding pass noting a different name from a second passport? I will definitely bring my both passports, but just worried that if the immigration officer would insist both match.