Thai airline offers measly 2,000 baht compo for destroying passenger's luggage

Read the T&C's, figure out what's covered and what's not, and pack accordingly.

Hint: Outside the nanny states, assume that nothing's covered in checked luggage, and in the nanny states, nothing valuable is covered.

On an aside, I'm surprised they let the laptop through in Thailand. Nothing with batteries has been allowed in my checked bags for the last 6 months or so. They ask every time I check in.

Ah so it has to be a "nanny state" that insures our luggage is safe and handled correctly.Interesting

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why would you check in your computer? Have to be a bit loose up top to do that but on the bright side it was only an Apple computer so no real harm done

I don't see the humor here. I hope it will never happen to you and when it does I wonder if you'd still have the same sense of humor.

Yet,, try shipping in personal items such as a repaired laptop,, showing receipts shipping it OUT of Thailand, receipt for repairs,,, fedex/Thai customs will RAPE you with import duties,, ask me how I know,,,

Yet,, try shipping in personal items such as a repaired laptop,, showing receipts shipping it OUT of Thailand, receipt for repairs,,, fedex/Thai customs will RAPE you with import duties,, ask me how I know,,,

You obviously did not follow the correct procedure but hey, lets not let your ignorance get in the way of a good old thai bashing opportunity.

Why would you check in your computer? Have to be a bit loose up top to do that but on the bright side it was only an Apple computer so no real harm done

Good if you are an AAPL shareholder. She will need to buy a new one.

'Tis an ill wind that blows no man luck"

The airline is trying to rip you off, Thailand is a signatory to the Warsaw and Montreal convention which stipulates compensation for various problems with the airlines and postal authority and is such as baggage damage and loss

Article 22 - Limits of liability in relation to delay, baggage and cargo

1. In the case of damage caused by delay as specified in Article 19 in the carriage of persons, the liability of the carrier for each passenger is limited to 4,150 Special Drawing Rights.

2. In the carriage of baggage, the liability of the carrier in the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay is limited to 1,000 Special Drawing Rights for each passenger unless the passenger has made, at the time when the checked baggage was handed over to the carrier, a special declaration of interest in delivery at destination and has paid a supplementary sum if the case so requires. In that case the carrier will be liable to pay a sum not exceeding the declared sum, unless it proves that the sum is greater than the passenger's actual interest in delivery at destination.

3. In the carriage of cargo, the liability of the carrier in the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay is limited to a sum of 17 Special Drawing Rights per kilogram, unless the consignor has made, at the time when the package was handed over to the carrier, a special declaration of interest in delivery at destination and has paid a supplementary sum if the case so requires. In that case the carrier will be liable to pay a sum not exceeding the declared sum, unless it proves that the sum is greater than the consignor's actual interest in delivery at destination.

4. In the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay of part of the cargo, or of any object contained therein, the weight to be taken into consideration in determining the amount to which the carrier's liability is limited shall be only the total weight of the package or packages concerned. Nevertheless, when the destruction, loss, damage or delay of a part of the cargo, or of an object contained therein, affects the value of other packages covered by the same air waybill, or the same receipt or, if they were not issued, by the same record preserved by the other means referred to in paragraph 2 of Article 4, the total weight of such package or packages shall also be taken into consideration in determining the limit of liability.

5. The foregoing provisions of paragraphs 1 and 2 of this Article shall not apply if it is proved that the damage resulted from an act or omission of the carrier, its servants or agents, done with intent to cause damage or recklessly and with knowledge that damage would probably result; provided that, in the case of such act or omission of a servant or agent, it is also proved that such servant or agent was acting within the scope of its employment.

6. The limits prescribed in Article 21 and in this Article shall not prevent the court from awarding, in accordance with its own law, in addition, the whole or part of the court costs and of the other expenses of the litigation incurred by the plaintiff, including interest. The foregoing provision shall not apply if the amount of the damages awarded, excluding court costs and other expenses of the litigation, does not exceed the sum which the carrier has offered in writing to the plaintiff within a period of six months from the date of the occurrence causing the damage, or before the commencement of the action, if that is later.

Loss or damage of baggage is covered by the Warsaw Convention and amended in the Montreal Convention

Edited by realenglish1

Malaysian Airlines destroyed my wife's bag on purpose - she argued with customer service in KL over something and then watched the woman pick up the phone smiling. The bag arrived in BKK slashed and stomped on. Still arguing with them but zero compensation to date.

Lol...come on...what do you mean by they purposely destroyed your baggage? You were ramp-side and saw this happen? They laid it on the tarmac and drove a 1 ton baggage cart over it?

Well, I had an incident with Malaysian 3 weeks ago - discovered damage to the bag only upon getting home. Called them...by noon the next day their baggage agent was knocking on my door, took the bag away and in 36 hours had it returned - fully repaired and even cleaned

Spot on service from Malaysian, I'd say.

...the company that pays up to 3 years equivalent of salary annual bonus....

...for such incompetence....

...but then again...they...and AOT..... are 'entities unto themselves'....

...above the law....nothing can touch them...they can never be fired.....even when caught in corrupt dealings....***

...*** as told to me by employees.......

The regular airliners have proper regulations regarding luggage you can hold them responsible and receive a proper compensation.smile.png

The El Cheapo's have exclusions for everything, that's how they make their money!sad.pngermm.gifunsure.pngcrying.gifsorry.gifcannot Sir mad.gifannoyed.gif all you can think of....If you travel El Cheapo and insure El cheapo, you can wait for this to happen. But I believe the airline regulations stating that they are responsible for all damage, they just make you go through hell, hoping you back off for El Cheapo money, I guess.

• Never ever travel without a proper travel insurance, cost only a few bucks and save you all this trouble, let the insurances fight with each other and you enjoy your holidays!biggrin.pngsmile.pngwai2.gif

Meanwhile in Dubai, I left a bag containing a couple watches and some personal effects at the Downtown Holiday Inn. I called them from my destination to be told they had the bag and would hold it for me untill my return in a few weeks. Upon my return I was told the bag had been stolen from their safe by one of their staff. They asked me about the cost of the valuables inside, and compenated me in cash, around $2,300USD on the spot.

Well , nothing news worthy here ! I almost got arrested for complaining about Tiger Air losing my Bags for 4 all days of my trip to Philippines , it was found as I was departing , and in Singapore where it was wrongly shipped to Chaing Mai , they would not do anything besides hand me a form to fill out , even tho they ruined my trip ! Just like so many things today , people take no pride in their companies ! The staff swore their was no one in charge , to talk to about my complaint. I asked them , so if a plane crashes their is no one around to handle their disaster either !

Malaysian Airlines destroyed my wife's bag on purpose - she argued with customer service in KL over something and then watched the woman pick up the phone smiling. The bag arrived in BKK slashed and stomped on. Still arguing with them but zero compensation to date.

Lol...come on...what do you mean by they purposely destroyed your baggage? You were ramp-side and saw this happen? They laid it on the tarmac and drove a 1 ton baggage cart over it?

Well, I had an incident with Malaysian 3 weeks ago - discovered damage to the bag only upon getting home. Called them...by noon the next day their baggage agent was knocking on my door, took the bag away and in 36 hours had it returned - fully repaired and even cleaned

Spot on service from Malaysian, I'd say.

Well, lol to you back. Their customer service people in Auckland admitted that there had been several similar problems in KL and after studying the bag agreed that it had been slashed purposely by a sharp instrument like a knife or scissors. That you were one of the lucky ones to get service from this dreadful airline doesn't somehow make you an arms length expert in this.

It was that report that allowed us to lay a complaint with the NZ police with whom it sits now as well as with the airline. Cheers.

Edited by Snig27

The airline is trying to rip you off, Thailand is a signatory to the Warsaw and Montreal convention which stipulates compensation for various problems with the airlines and postal authority and is such as baggage damage and loss

1. In the case of damage caused by delay as specified in Article 19 in the carriage of persons, the liability of the carrier for each passenger is limited to 4,150 Special Drawing Rights.

2. In the carriage of baggage, the liability of the carrier in the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay is limited to 1,000 Special Drawing Rights for each passenger unless the passenger has made, at the time when the checked baggage was handed over to the carrier, a special declaration of interest in delivery at destination and has paid a supplementary sum if the case so requires. In that case the carrier will be liable to pay a sum not exceeding the declared sum, unless it proves that the sum is greater than the passenger's actual interest in delivery at destination.

3. In the carriage of cargo, the liability of the carrier in the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay is limited to a sum of 17 Special Drawing Rights per kilogram, unless the consignor has made, at the time when the package was handed over to the carrier, a special declaration of interest in delivery at destination and has paid a supplementary sum if the case so requires. In that case the carrier will be liable to pay a sum not exceeding the declared sum, unless it proves that the sum is greater than the consignor's actual interest in delivery at destination.

4. In the case of destruction, loss, damage or delay of part of the cargo, or of any object contained therein, the weight to be taken into consideration in determining the amount to which the carrier's liability is limited shall be only the total weight of the package or packages concerned. Nevertheless, when the destruction, loss, damage or delay of a part of the cargo, or of an object contained therein, affects the value of other packages covered by the same air waybill, or the same receipt or, if they were not issued, by the same record preserved by the other means referred to in paragraph 2 of Article 4, the total weight of such package or packages shall also be taken into consideration in determining the limit of liability.

5. The foregoing provisions of paragraphs 1 and 2 of this Article shall not apply if it is proved that the damage resulted from an act or omission of the carrier, its servants or agents, done with intent to cause damage or recklessly and with knowledge that damage would probably result; provided that, in the case of such act or omission of a servant or agent, it is also proved that such servant or agent was acting within the scope of its employment.

6. The limits prescribed in Article 21 and in this Article shall not prevent the court from awarding, in accordance with its own law, in addition, the whole or part of the court costs and of the other expenses of the litigation incurred by the plaintiff, including interest. The foregoing provision shall not apply if the amount of the damages awarded, excluding court costs and other expenses of the litigation, does not exceed the sum which the carrier has offered in writing to the plaintiff within a period of six months from the date of the occurrence causing the damage, or before the commencement of the action, if that is later.

Loss or damage of baggage is covered by the Warsaw Convention and amended in the Montreal Convention

I think the crux of this is that as said by Jovanni, they know they have to pay, but will try every trick in the book to make it so hard and hope you will just go away

what sort of a half wit puts a laptop in their checked baggage ?.

Lucky its still there.

Maybe it was a cut price airline and no carry on luggage or at a price

I thought the low cost airlines worked the other way round....

Carry on is free but checked in you have to pay.

Which airline has free checked in but pay for carry on ?

It was that report that allowed us to lay a complaint with the NZ police with whom it sits now as well as with the airline. Cheers.

Good idea to file a police report, especially if the damage looked malicious or even just negligent.

I've bought flights on credit cards that offered supplementary coverage, and purchased flights from travel agents that had the same. I've also had homeowners insurance that offered some coverage for losses while traveling in the fine print. I can't imagine any of them would pay out without some kind of evidence of the loss.

I suspect the police report would be vital to claiming on any of those policies- in addition to putting the airline on notice that this is being elevated beyond their claims department. That alone may jog loose a little extra cash- just to avoid the cost and publicity.

This is why you never, ever, send your valuables such as a laptop computer, through checked baggage.

Only a misguided, uninformed, uber-"entitled" little brat (Yes, I know, I'm only assuming....) would load valuables in check-in baggage. I pity this persons' parents!!!

This is why you never, ever, send your valuables such as a laptop computer, through checked baggage.

I agree.

If you can't fit it in your "cary on" bag, don't bring it!

It saves time waiting for baggage on arrival too.

Edited by willyumiii

I had a bag ripped by that budget Thai airline with a bird name and was only given.400 baht

If one buys a Samsonite bag, ALL airlines will get it fixed. I've got a 10 year old bag and had to get it repaired 4 times during that period in Chiang Mai. No questions asked and it was delivered twice to my door!

You obviously did not follow the correct procedure but hey, lets not let your ignorance get in the way of a good old thai bashing opportunity.

You mean besides asking FedEx themselves the proper procedure, and following that to a T?,,, I'll bash when a good bashing is appropriate,, and in most cases concerning Thai's taking ANY responsibility for anything their fault,, or extorting $ whenever possible,, that's 100%, as for defending them on EVERY count? You can carry on doing so from your keyboard,,, Don't let your ignorance to the DAILY reported facts,, sway you in any way Edited by Adeeos

What's the value of a 'special drawings right' in THB then?

I NEVER allow anyone to handle my Rimowa. I offer to open it for TSA being made of aluminum but they don't touch.

A checked baggage sized Rimowa is a special kind of stupid at a thousand US $. Been through so much crap with damaged luggage and arguing with knuckleheads I just don't go there. Travelled across most of China and Asia with this very light carry-on. Learn to travel light.

You mean besides asking FedEx themselves the proper procedure, and following that to a T?,,, I'll bash when a good bashing is appropriate,, and in most cases concerning Thai's taking ANY responsibility for anything their fault,, or extorting $ whenever possible,, that's 100%, as for defending them on EVERY count? You can carry on doing so from your keyboard,,, Don't let your ignorance to the DAILY reported facts,, sway you in any way

I was thinking more along the lines of going to customs and filling out/submitting/receiving the correct paperwork.

But hey, your ignorance is clearly a winner for you !!

Edited by Don Mega