Your Electric Bill...you must confess!

KhonKaenKowboy

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question for those who manned-up and/or acclimatised: "is it possible to feel comfortable (not sweating) at 38ºC by using capital letters when posting in a discussion forum?" huh.png

Large single storey house. Double super block walls, UPVC windows and well insulated roof space. Bedroom AC on nightly. Living room / kitchen daily 16/36k btu cassettes. Average bill 5000 a Month. Last Month 6500.

Usually a floor fan is good enough during the day. But long hot arvos mean I've been running more AC.

"arvos" ?huh.png?

Arvos = afternoons a British colloquialism

I am British but I have never heard of this word. I have looked it up and I can find no reference to it except as "arvo", something Australian.

Can you confirm this word as officially existing through an authoritative source?

3500 peak hot season. One aircon, two fans, two refrigerators.

1800 Rainy season....Aircon only on afternoon.

1200 Cooler seasons.

our evos ( evenings ) are comfortable enough...up in Udon..but definitely need the aircon 24 hours April and May

evos....just made it up.

I get up early in the morvos....and don't even use a fan at that time

Edited by slipperylobster

About 8k, same as normal for this time of year, regardless of where I live. I've moved several times over the years and it always comes to about the same.

I like my A/C all the time. It's 23 degrees C sitting here right now. Nice and cool.

You'll need to spend a lot more than that to recreate UK temps. tongue.png

Only problem with doing aircon too much is one never really acclimatises. As a comparison, mine was a shade over 280 baht last month for a 2-bed condo, aircon throughout. This was down south, however, and end of building, with breeze right the way through. Only need a tad of aircon when air is still. 28 seems a decent temp, though each to their own.

1200 Cooler seasons.

our evos ( evenings ) are comfortable enough...up in Udon..but definitely need the aircon 24 hours April and May

evos....just made it up.

i insist on a maximum of 26ºC in the morvos, arvos, evos and nighvos. before going to bed i cool down the bedroom to 18ºC and switch of the airvo when sleeping.

You'll need to spend a lot more than that to recreate UK temps. tongue.png

Only problem with doing aircon too much is one never really acclimatises. As a comparison, mine was a shade over 280 baht last month for a 2-bed condo, aircon throughout. This was down south, however, and end of building, with breeze right the way through. Only need a tad of aircon when air is still. 28 seems a decent temp, though each to their own.

"280 Baht aircon throughout" yeah right! coffee1.gif

Averages about 2.5k for the three bedroom 160sq.m. house and 1.5k for the smaller extension/pool room. I have two supplies, which cuts about 4% from my previous combined bill. Give or take 50% in April/December

Features:

Paid direct to PEA so about 4.5 baht per kwH. Little inflation in that rate over the 7 years I have lived here (remarkable in this world!)

Main house is bungalow style with high tiled roof but little or no insulation

Extension/pool room has pumping for a med-large swimming pool, well-pump, house water pump, auto sprinkler watering for half rai of garden and occasional use of aircon/electrics in extension bathroom/bedrooms

Family of four - aircons used in 2 bedrooms and open plan living area for maybe average of 4 hours each per 24 in shoulder seasons and 6 in hottest 3 months + extensive multi-fan use

For five years I have been keeping records of my electricity accounts and my monthly average over this period is 722.70 baht.

Highest was 888.00 baht and lowest was 590.00 baht. Run three fridges, TV, Hot water shower and LED Lights.

Have never used our AC but there is always one fan going 24/7

I am home at Samui most days and my wife at work six days a week.

10,480 - which is 2000 more than usual.

Lots of stuff running-air cons , pool, big hot water heater , outside lighting, tumble drier / washing nearly every day, fridges, oven; the list goes on.

So much for cheap living - never mind.

That is actually cheap for what you have.

Try doing that in California or New york.

three times cheaper here

This month's bill was 1295 baht for a north facing 74 square metre condo in Jomtien. Aircon used sparingly. Fans are used during the day and at night though we use the aircon for short spells on occasions.

Alan

10,480 - which is 2000 more than usual.

Lots of stuff running-air cons , pool, big hot water heater , outside lighting, tumble drier / washing nearly every day, fridges, oven; the list goes on.

So much for cheap living - never mind.

That is actually cheap for what you have.

Try doing that in California or New york.

three times cheaper here

I think you are correct, at home (UK) the prices have rocketed- and we pay a huge amount in green taxes ( to subsidise the wind farms )

So to run my house there would be very expensive, I think the pool uses a lot.

My comment was a bit tongue in cheek to fend off the 'manly' types who relish in sweating all day and night- can't imagine what their mattresses look like- I like a light duvet- so air at 25 all night- pleasant enough.

So yes it is pretty cheap really .

Made a mental note for topics like this. It's a terrific way to establish who has plenty money to spend and who lives in a shoebox studio or hut somewhere.

I think it's more likely to be an indicator of who lives in houses that are not energy efficient and or who lives in property where the utilities bills are marker up, Herr Naam being one of the very exceptions.

Made a mental note for topics like this. It's a terrific way to establish who has plenty money to spend and who lives in a shoebox studio or hut somewhere.

I think it's more likely to be an indicator of who lives in houses that are not energy efficient and or who lives in property where the utilities bills are marker up, Herr Naam being one of the very exceptions.

being an old man and having lived, worked and sweated enough for three life times in tropical countries most years of my life i enjoy a comfortable environment. it also makes no sense to save on electricity because the last shroud has no pockets and my heirs will most probably fly first class no matter how much energy i consume smile.png

1200 Cooler seasons.

evos....just made it up.

i insist on a maximum of 26ºC in the morvos, arvos, evos and nighvos. before going to bed i cool down the bedroom to 18ºC and switch of the airvo when sleeping.

Yeah...depends on the time of the yervos, however

We have three 25-year old no-name air conditioners still going strong. Guest bedroom AC gets some use with company but we cycle our bedroom unit on for 30-40 minutes till we're cold, then AC off with floor fans for a couple of hours.

We insulated our roof 15 years ago with spray in foam. Never made a damn bit of difference. However, this year I got the bright idea of passive soffit and dormer vents. Simple physics: heat rises, gotta give it someplace to go.

Simple vertical screens on soffits front and back. (We live in BKK but our roofer said we should fold those over to make smaller holes so vipers wouldn't nest in our rood in the rainy season. Yikes! Raining vipers from the ceiling!) Simple dormer vent with no screen to plug up with dust. Considerably cooler with this system and have to run the AC must less.

A few pages back someone said they paid 21,000 baht a month for electricity.

That seems so far off the curve that it either must be wrong, or very special circumstances.

neither wrong nor special circumstances except that the last billing period was hotter than usual.

post-35218-0-52220500-1464594692_thumb.j

That seems so far off the curve that it either must be wrong, or very special circumstances.

I think he is trying to reinvent the electric chair and has had a few failures. I wonder how much electric they draw to BBQ someone.

I think he is trying to reinvent the electric chair and has had a few failures. I wonder how much electric they draw to BBQ someone.

Don't forget that wet sponge....it goes quicker with that.

1200 Cooler seasons.

evos....just made it up.

Ha ha very good Naam thats funny laugh.png

Arvos = afternoons a British colloquialism

I am British but I have never heard of this word. I have looked it up and I can find no reference to it except as "arvo", something Australian.

Can you confirm this word as officially existing through an authoritative source?

Sorry I cant give you an authoritative source because its a colloquialism and won't be found in the likes of the Oxford English dictionary

They used to use it quite a lot in those old black and white World War II ( and earlier ) films.

Yikes! Raining vipers from the ceiling!

Reminds me of the Sunbird restaurant in Colorado Springs. The restaurant is located in a beautiful setting up on the mountainside where you get a great view of the city. It's actually located in an area called rattlesnake hill. Ironically back in the 70s it was reported that a couple of rattlers came crashing through the roof of the restaurant and joined the patrons... blink.png

As far as my electric bill it typically runs 3-4k thb a month at a rate of around 4 thb/unit. I generally run the single AC most of the day but I think some of my usage comes from the large chest freezer I have.

my last electricty bill was the highest in 10 years; 689 Baht (per day).

21,000 per month?

That's fairly hefty.

Mine is usually 12,000 - 14,000 per month depending on the month...but I think this north will be a little higher.

at last a man that dose not live in a rabbit hutch and obviously has a fairly good life style.

my last electricty bill was the highest in 10 years; 689 Baht (per day).

21,000 per month?

That's fairly hefty.

Mine is usually 12,000 - 14,000 per month depending on the month...but I think this north will be a little higher.

at last a man that dose not live in a rabbit hutch and obviously has a fairly good life style.

another one who missed "per day" laugh.png