does a VPN still work after connecting to the wifi at work?

advancebooking

I understand your point, Chicog, but it is a very old school of thought.

What's the new school way to do work?

In the old school, I left work at the end of the day and showed up the next day. The day was over when I left the office. If I didn't feel like answering the landline, I let the machine pick it up, and nobody knew I was screening (or not even bothering to screen).

Today, I'm tethered to the job 24/7 with emails, messaging and a cell phone that I'm required to keep on and on me at all times. That's the beauty of that IT equipment for the company. Not so hot for my personal life.

I think it's a reasonable trade-off to use the company's (unlimited) bandwidth and some of my time during the workday to do some of the things I can't get done during the hours I'm solving company problems on my own time.

We used to call it comp time. Work late into the night or on a weekend, and take some time off during the week. Today, they call it tough noogies and a violation of company policy.

Edited by impulse

I think it's a reasonable trade-off to use the company's (unlimited) bandwidth and some of my time during the workday to do some of the things I can't get done during the hours I'm solving company problems on my own time.

We used to call it comp time. Work late into the night or on a weekend, and take some time off during the week. Today, they call it tough noogies and a violation of company policy.

Mine doesn't. They call it Flexible Hours.

As for acceptable personal use, I see no problem.

I wrote our company policy and made sure that was in there.

We have lots of employees with kids in at School or Uni overseas, and I don't have a problem with them sending personal emails.

Similarly, if people want to use the web to do a bit of shopping or read the paper in their lunch hour, big deal.

But using VPNs and saturating the Internet bandwidth with torrents?

P45 Bomber incoming.....

I understand your point, Chicog, but it is a very old school of thought.coffee1.gif

What's the new school way to do work?

In the age of social networking, very different to what it was years ago, we need internet access with less strings attached.

You offer internet, then don't complain about how it is used.

If anal retentive IT bosses are so gun-ho on what is done from within their IT department, then don't offer it. Do an intranet instead. coffee1.gif

Don't be ridiculous man. It's perfectly easy to secure networks and provide Internet applications at the same time.

As long as thoughtless old duffers don't go deliberately bypassing everything and screwing it all up.

And by the way, you clearly are stuck in old school if you think it's just IT managers.

Nowadays CIO/CISO are as important as CFO's, and in some organisations the CFO even reports to them.

LOL. Definitively a company man. You should work in Japan. CIO? CISO? CFO? I particularly DGAD. gigglem.gif

LOL. Definitively a company man. You should work in Japan. CIO? CISO? CFO? I particularly DGAD. gigglem.gif

I'm sorry most of this is going over your head. Good luck with your job search.

Sorry you are unable to take objective criticism. thumbsup.gif

Super glad I don't work for North Korean IT admins like yourself. gigglem.gif

Just doing my job, which is protecting expensive assets from stupid people.

thumbsup.gif

Just doing my job, which is protecting expensive assets from stupid people.

thumbsup.gif

chicog has made multiple replies on this thread most of which have negative connotations. Why are you such a miserable angry old guy?? How have you turned out this way dude. Give up the booze mate.

I agree with a poster above that its ok to surf the net at work with 'the curtains closed' as long as its not whilst looking at any dodgy url's. In the past I have used piratebay at work without a vpn and there were no implications.

chicog has made multiple replies on this thread most of which have negative connotations. Why are you such a miserable angry old guy?? How have you turned out this way dude. Give up the booze mate.

I agree with a poster above that its ok to surf the net at work with 'the curtains closed' as long as its not whilst looking at any dodgy url's. In the past I have used piratebay at work without a vpn and there were no implications.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the whole point of this forum is discussion.

So if people tell me that they think it's OK to download pirated material on their company PC, don't be surprised if I were to tell you that most companies would consider that a disciplinary offence at best if not a sackable one.

And AGAIN, there is no such thing as a "non-dodgy" URL any more. Many watering hole attacks come from compromised, legitimate websites.

Honestly, some of you need protecting from yourselves.

gigglem.gif

Edited by Chicog

^^ LOL. Agreed. The guy went off even though I very clearly stated that I do not download stuff or do "other" things. Anyway, on my ignore list.

Sad, really. Very intelligent and knowledgeable guy, but a huge boulder on his shoulder. Gives the rest of us expats a bad name. coffee1.gif

Because other people end up having to clear up messes created by chumps like this.

So you might have to occasionally run the Norton antivirus. Hardly a chore.

If that's the level of knowledge you're working with, you need protecting from yourself as well.

Again: Signature-based antivirus is next to useless due to the rate at which new variants are produced.

Added: And good luck using Norton antivirus to decrypt a PC encrypted by ransomware.

whistling.gif

Edited by Chicog

^^ LOL. Agreed. The guy went off even though I very clearly stated that I do not download stuff or do "other" things. . coffee1.gif

You said:

I use a vpn at work and I enjoy my privacy.

Even Browsing on a direct Internet connection endangers your corporate network.

How come this is so difficult for you to understand?

Even Browsing on a direct Internet connection endangers your corporate network.

How come this is so difficult for you to understand?

You've managed to work your self up in to a right royal lather for what was quite an innocent question, Chicog. I'm not surprised that you're now on an ignore list of Somtamnication, who has always seemed like a reasonable guy to me.

Personally, I agree with the previous responses in that you've gone way OTT. You sound like the jobsworth from hell.

Up to you. I'm adding you to the ignore list too as it seems a much easier life to lead [notwithstanding, I've well noted your previous arrogance in dozens of threads]. Good luck.

Edited by wooloomooloo