Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

I've said it before.

For me, retiring in Pattaya is a poor man's Miami Beach (with crappier beaches and Hispanic food).

Not talking about sexpat stuff here, that's optional for people, and I think people would be surprised how many long term residents are totally BORED with that.

What I'm talking about is that in this globalized world, you can live in international type cities/resorts like Pattaya and basically (mostly) IGNORE the local culture. If you choose.

Of course, you need to know what you need to know to stay healthy in local conditions.

For example, don't say F U to Thai men or give them the finger unless you have a death wish.

More like there is no need to learn Thai. I know much less Thai than when I moved here, and I don't care, I LIKE it that way. I don't feel guilty about that but I'm sure there are many people who say -- BAD EXPAT.

I know it's seen as disrespectful to some Thais, and I just don't care.

You don't need to eat Thai food frequently if you don't want to. I eat it often enough, but it's not my favorite nationality of food.

Thai local customs and superstitions? They were a tad interesting when I first learned about them but now I try not to think of them as I find them BORING and there is no way I would EVER go native and go along with that stuff.

Watch Thai movies, t.v., Thai music? Sure, why not, enjoy some, but doing the international video and movie thing so accessible to us here ... BETTER.
The same stuff I would be watching if I lived in New York ... after all this really is the golden age of television, but obviously not THAI television.

Speak English all the time? Why not? Don't bother asking Thais if they speak English before blurting it out? Why not ... they usually assume you're a TOURIST anyway. They don't ACT offended, sure probably some THINK you're an A-hole for doing that ... but so many local Thais ALREADY obviously feel disdain towards foreigners ... what difference does one more expat being presumptuous matter? The damage is done. You being fluent in Thai and wai-ing all over the place ain't EVER gonna fix it.

As most of us know, there are major pros and cons of living in Pattaya. The pros are great. Super convenient and cheap baht buses, modern shopping, affordable international restaurants, etc. The cons, no need to dwell on them ... well known ... you can learn with experience to largely FILTER that crap out.

So, is living abroad and virtually NOT really living abroad as I've described ... is that wrong? Immoral? Can you relate to that at all?

This is in the Pattaya forum, but expats in other cities who want to discuss living in Thailand while have almost NO interest in Thai culture are very welcome to comment as well.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

yes, you've said it before & with an equal number of CAPITALS too

I've never started another entire THREAD about it.

Dude, using all caps for EMPHASIS is not even remotely the same as posting large blocks of text in uppercase (which I would never do or defend).

I've heard all the arguments against even using for emphasis, but I remain unconvinced.

Edited by Jingthing

Zero interest in Thia culture or going out of my way to befriend Thais . Regarding learning the language , you will hear expats in farming communities brag about it but of course if your the only farang in the village you had better darn well know your Thai ! Personally in Bangkok and Pattaya where I spend my time I have zero use for the language.

Like many others I choose to keep western company and live exactly as I did in the west but on Thai soil and enjoy the climate, the food and of course the lovely ladies

Most of us expats here are not IMMIGRANTS.
I think REAL immigrants would be foolish to take the approach I do (and I know others do as well, to different levels).

Also of course there are practical differences. If you're working here and you need to be more local to make that happen, well, there really isn't any choice, if you want to work here.

Many foreigners here are SINCERELY interested in Thai culture. That's different. I'm saying if you realize over time that you're really not, then if you don't have to for practical reasons, why bother FAKING it?

Some would say to be polite and respectful to the hosts here, as they see themselves as guests of the hosts. I hear that but it doesn't move me.

Edited by Jingthing

I lived in Pattaya for three years (at VT6) but became bored living there. Pattaya has a great bar scene but that's about it, there are many more things to do in Bangkok. Pattaya is not 'authentic' Thailand so I don't think anyone needs to feel guilty about not having a keen interest in the culture except to show proper respect for your host.

I fail to see how one could immerse themselves in Thai culture in Pattaya of all places.

Isn't that the appeal for most expats,living like they do in their home countries with a bit of sunshine and cheap fanny thrown in for good measure.

Edited by NongMalee

If you care to know/learn Thai "culture", you will need to look outside Pattaya, as you will not find much/any Thai culture in Pattaya, even among the Thais living here. It is perhaps because of certain elements of Thai culture -- tolerance and acceptance of things different, coupled with a strong survival instinct (the latter being not unique to Thailand) -- that Pattaya exists/thrives, but that does not mean that what is here is in any way representative of Thai culture. Pattaya is an amalgam of the worst elements of cultures of the people, mostly foreign, that gravitate to Pattaya. And many Thais, among the poorest educated and with the worst social skills, come here to take advantage of it/them (and do a pretty good job). So, you will need to venture out of Pattaya to places like Chiang Mai (I suspect there are others) to find any semblance of culture, Thai or otherwise. As far as what passes as "culture" in Pattaya, ignoring it, to the extent possible, is advisable and may be virtuous.

Edited by Thailaw

Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Nope, it is not a prerequisite for entering and living in Thailand. There are myriad Thais, Chinese and other people's living in our cities that couldn't give a monkey's of our cultures. As long as one is civil, I guess.

While its wrong to live in pattaya, since its a low class place with lots of low life people, its perfectly alright not to be interested in some else`s culture.
And they wouldnt like you to be interested anyway. That would mean, that you know too much and, with all due respect, thais dislike it, when someone can see under the surface.

As any schoolboy knows, one need hardly be interested in a subject to learn about it and then use the acquired knowledge to one's own advantage.

A auspicious sign for a noob lies in having some interest as it makes learning much easier.

Generally speaking (with exceptions!) the unhappiest, least successful long-term residents in Thailand are those who don't know much about the culture, notably including the language, and so can't or don't show what's considered proper respect. Me, I made it a point when I arrived here to learn enough so that after a couple years of practice I could exercise enough control over interactions with Thais that they'd go smoothly and pleasantly--for me. And it paid off. I'm talking about interactions a little more complicated than getting on and off a baht bus and paying the driver.

Thais I think don't really care if you have much of an interest in their culture, but they do expect you to show respect for it while you're here. Not a terribly unreasonable viewpoint and certainly not unique to Thais. Not to do so doesn't help your situation, though you may personally feel better, being so superior and all. Yet if you're that superior, where's your noblesse oblige?

So, living here, I do make it a point always to speak some Thai and show respect whether I really feel it or not. Thais need to realize I'm not the usual idiot farang. And that almost always works well even with the cynical tourist-shocked Thais of Pattaya--for that moment.

Edited by JSixpack

There are no rights or wrongs in any approach to living here other than trying to be a decent human being and show some tolerance for the differences to where you came from that you might encounter.

My approach had been formed by the decades of working here and raising a family here and what Thai culture has been absorbed has been by a process of osmosis rather than a conscious effort - other than some required Thai language study for one job and one company.

I find it is more fun rather than a necessity to speak Thai and/or to bend to some local quirks.

Thai culture like many other cultures has intriguing parts and often amusing parts but it easily avoided in its entirety in Pattaya if that is what you wish to do.

Each to his own.

I live in Pattaya and have done for 10 years.

I immerse myself in the "culture" during my commute to and from work every day.

Thats enough for me.

I know dozens who do the same except they don't drive, they have their driver sort out the dealing with locals stuff.

Edited by Don Mega

Pattaya's not Thailand anyway. If you choose to live there and not get out of town much, then it's already a choice of not knowing much about Thailand.

I'm not being judgemental here. It's a respectable choice.

I really don't think one needs to make much efforts towards understanding the Thai culture and more generally way of life if living in Pattaya.

Good or bad? I don't care, but probably not even needed IMO.

You think too much jingthing......

Sure thing. That's the kind of "Thai culture" comment that makes me want to VOMIT.

Maybe some people don't think enough and aren't even capable of it.

Edited by Jingthing

Vomiting is a good way to lose weight fast

That idea clearly didn't take too much thinking.

But this raises another profound question: Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not think too mut?

Edited by JSixpack

No it's not "wrong", it's "normal".

Pattaya is an extreme, peculiar, hybridised, developing, micro-culture and the last thing that anybody cares about is if you (a foreigner) are getting an adequate dose of "Thai Culture".

Many (perhaps the majority) of the Thai people who live/work there look forward to going home to their various different regions (the "real" world/culture) of Thailand as often as they can, but the opportunities are all too infrequent.

Carry on enjoying it for what it is and for what it gives you.

If you have the time you might care to visit Thailand (and those peoples regions) someday.

I have visited more traditional areas of Thailand.

Enjoyable for a while, but seen one wat, seen em all!
OK, not exactly, I know, but you get the idea.

I remember I drove around Portugal one trip visiting old churches.

It was great! But no need to repeat it.

Nothing wrong with living in Patts and having no interest in Thai culture.

But you are lieing to us and lieing to yourself. You are there to be a sexpat. Otherwise i can think of dozens of better places to live on a similar budget as Pattaya.

I thought this post was quite funny. I taught myself Thai long ago and I use it all the time without thinking. It's opened doors to relationships in Thailand that wouldn't have been possible without, and blah blah...I understand the little cultural things to the point where I think I got treated better when I was fresh off the boat here. Sometimes i hear "you know too much", or "you're same Thai person"....I'm starting to use Thai less everyday just so I don't get labeled "the Farang who speaks Thai", and the assumptions/questions that go with it.

-you English teacher? No.

-you have Thai girlfriend? Not at the moment.

-oh, you have Thai girlfriend teach you Thai before? No, maybe a little.

-oh, I see.

That gets old AF.

Sometimes id rather just be like every other tourist. I still don't know why.

Okay, flip this around...there's probably an Internet forum for Chinese, Mexicans, Koreans moving to the west where the same sentiment is held.

I can't count how many people I meet in LA who don't speak English nor do they seem interested in learning. Anything wrong with that? They live in a bubble too.

Edited by KuhnPaen

I found Thai culture so alluring, interesting, and irresistible while living out of the country...and then I went and spoiled it all by retiring to Jomtien...kinda like all that passion and sex...before marriage...