Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

An over the top post has been removed:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's wrong to live in Pattaya full stop, most of the westerners that live there care little for the culture.....

Nah

Its fun, had three bar girls in one session a few years back. licklips.gif

Long live Pattaya.

Feel free to stay away. more for me thumbsup.gif

Edited by onemorechang

Ummm ..... in what way are Thai religous "superstitions" any more ridiculous than any other I wonder ? To each his own, I guess.

Do you really need a list ?

Start with not having 2 doors in a line in house construction, or a given number of steps only allowed (often why the last step is so steep that you nearly break your neck.

The bed head can't face north because that is how they lay out the dead.

You can't go out if you break a plate for fear of bad luck.

Many women won't have sex on a Buddha day.

.................. and have you seen what they do new cars !!!!

Frankly, if these superstitions/practices were any good they would have 7,000 road deaths a year.

Ummm ..... in what way are Thai religous "superstitions" any more ridiculous than any other I wonder ? To each his own, I guess.

Start with not having 2 doors in a line in house construction, or a given number of steps only allowed (often why the last step is so steep that you nearly break your neck.

Frankly, if these superstitions/practices were any good they would have 7,000 road deaths a year.

That's just outrageous. shock1.gif

Send her back to the farm.

Time to look for new lady. thumbsup.gif

It's wrong to live in Pattaya full stop, most of the westerners that live there care little for the culture.....

And the problem with that is what exactly? coffee1.gif
Well there must be a problem, you are the one asking the question ' is it wrong to live in pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture '....the problem is all yours...you should just enjoy the lifestyle you have chosen.

Not everyone wants to live in sodom and Gomorrah....you chose to and that sums you and your life choices up...

Edited by namatjira

I have lived and worked in a half a dozen countries in Asia over the past 20 years and chose to retire in Bangkok. For me, one of the best things about both Pattaya and Bangkok is the wide variety of different foods available. No where else in Asia, in my opinion, can you select from so many types of places to eat.

On the subject of the OP, I personally find it very easy to live here without being involved in the slightest in "Thai Culture", nor do I feel the slightest bit guilty about that. It's one of the biggest advantages of the globalized world we can enjoy today (assuming you are not a bitter, judgemental person).

One thing further, it is very possible to live and enjoy life in Pattaya or Bangkok without participating in the "Sodom and Gomorrah " aspects. People who say otherwise have a very narrow experience in either place.

TH

I have lived and worked in a half a dozen countries in Asia over the past 20 years and chose to retire in Bangkok. For me, one of the best things about both Pattaya and Bangkok is the wide variety of different foods available. No where else in Asia, in my opinion, can you select from so many types of places to eat.

On the subject of the OP, I personally find it very easy to live here without being involved in the slightest in "Thai Culture", nor do I feel the slightest bit guilty about that. It's one of the biggest advantages of the globalized world we can enjoy today (assuming you are not a bitter, judgemental person).

One thing further, it is very possible to live and enjoy life in Pattaya or Bangkok without participating in the "Sodom and Gomorrah " aspects. People who say otherwise have a very narrow experience in either place.

TH

I had a Russian friend in the USA who learned how to speak English and did local things and tried to fit in with American culture. We learned a lot from him and it countered the negative stereotype that many Americans have of Russians.

My interest in learning the language has decreased over the years I've been here and is now zero. I hear a lot of "Falang, Falang" wherever I go - that's enough. I'd rather not know what they're talking about.biggrin.png

My interest in learning the language has decreased over the years I've been here and is now zero. I hear a lot of "Falang, Falang" wherever I go - that's enough. I'd rather not know what they're talking about.biggrin.png

They are saying, "there is a crazy terrorist with a bomb directly in front of you turn right or be blown to bits."biggrin.png

My friend here of 17 years keeps saying to me "why don't you learn Thai". I just think listenign to the locals would simply disillusion me further as to the ways fo the Thai people. After observing the Thai temple and the recent stories on monks I don't have too much interest in the cultural side.

Of course I get that a lot. Here so long why don't you speak Thai. My stock answer is I'm American and we're bad at languages. Partly true but of course it's personal. I don't feel interested enough to put in the work.

So I suppose I'm lying.

I say I will leave it to google translage which gets better by the day. There is some truth here. Secondly, who knows how long I will stay here and will I use it in another country? Hardly.

My friend here of 17 years keeps saying to me "why don't you learn Thai". I just think listenign to the locals would simply disillusion me further as to the ways fo the Thai people. After observing the Thai temple and the recent stories on monks I don't have too much interest in the cultural side.

Of course I get that a lot. Here so long why don't you speak Thai. My stock answer is I'm American and we're bad at languages. Partly true but of course it's personal. I don't feel interested enough to put in the work.

So I suppose I'm lying.

I say I will leave it to google translage which gets better by the day. There is some truth here. Secondly, who knows how long I will stay here and will I use it in another country? Hardly.

Been there, done that. I spent 6 years learning a language I never used again after I left that country.

Edited by tropo

So I suppose I'm lying.

This might play into the "I'm American and we're bad at languages" comment because I am American, but I've tried to learn the Thai language and apparently I'm tone deaf. And, with the total inflexibility of Thai people to understand even slight mispronunciations, I can not be understood at all. One very common example is that I cannot hear, at all, any difference between the Thai words for far and near. And, when I speak them, it's entirely possibly they hear "far" when I mean "near," and vice versa.

So, I've given up on learning the Thai language. Although I would like to have basic skills, it just doesn't happen. During my language studies I did learn to read and write the Thai characters, so I can phonetically read Thai fairly accurately (bar the tone issue) but have no idea what the words I'm reading are. Kind of like reading Latin when I never studied Latin.

I suspect I could never learn Mandarin or Cantonese for the same reason.

That's just outrageous. shock1.gif

Send her back to the farm.

Time to look for new lady. thumbsup.gif

There are always options in Thailand thumbsup.gif

Off topic posts leading to a derailment of the topic and replies removed, topic is about:

Of course it's wrong. It's called ethnocentric behavior which is never a positive any any culture.

There have been thousands of books and plays and movies written about it.

As seen by Shylock's speech, ethnocentrism is a powerful force that weakens human relations. Shylock's point is that despite the cultural differences, we are all still human. There is no intrinsic difference between a Jew and a Christian, a black and a white, a Chinese citizen and a German citizen, and so forth. Although Shylock is painted as the villian of The Merchant of Venice, perhaps we can all take a lesson from him in order to avoid unfair prejudices that result from ethnocentrism.

http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-ethnocentrism.html

So I suppose I'm lying.

This might play into the "I'm American and we're bad at languages" comment because I am American, but I've tried to learn the Thai language and apparently I'm tone deaf. And, with the total inflexibility of Thai people to understand even slight mispronunciations, I can not be understood at all. One very common example is that I cannot hear, at all, any difference between the Thai words for far and near. And, when I speak them, it's entirely possibly they hear "far" when I mean "near," and vice versa.

So, I've given up on learning the Thai language. Although I would like to have basic skills, it just doesn't happen. During my language studies I did learn to read and write the Thai characters, so I can phonetically read Thai fairly accurately (bar the tone issue) but have no idea what the words I'm reading are. Kind of like reading Latin when I never studied Latin.

I suspect I could never learn Mandarin or Cantonese for the same reason.

IMO it's not just an American problem - i.e. not easy to learn a 2nd language. I think most English speakers are at a disadvantage because there's no obvious choice for a 2nd language for most English speakers, whereas non-English speakers have an easy choice - English... they can never go wrong with that choice as it will always be useful. If you leave Thailand, you're not going to have much use for Thai.

IMO the difficulty is more to do with motivation than ability.

Edited by tropo

Of course it's wrong. It's called ethnocentric behavior which is never a positive any any culture.

As seen by Shylock's speech, ethnocentrism is a powerful force that weakens human relations. Shylock's point is that despite the cultural differences, we are all still human. There is no intrinsic difference between a Jew and a Christian, a black and a white, a Chinese citizen and a German citizen, and so forth. Although Shylock is painted as the villian of The Merchant of Venice, perhaps we can all take a lesson from him in order to avoid unfair prejudices that result from ethnocentrism.

IMO this is a very narrow view of the situation as some cultures are far more accepting of outsiders and make integration easier and more pleasant. Unfortunately Thailand is not an easy one. We can theorize about the reasons for this, but xenophobia is very real here. I have no idea where the LOS nonsense began or why it did. One look at the surly expressions on the immigration officers "greeting" you at points of entry would be enough to put off many tourists

Edited by Rimmer

All you have mentioned, starts with money, top of the list. shylocks crap.

We are not treated as equals in Thailand when it comes to working, Land, Justice and loads more !!!!!!!!!

most Falangs just give money to Thailand and its people one way or another.

So its a one way street. bah.gif

Up to you what you all do, I think its stacked against you from the start. bah.gif

We are not treated as equals in Thailand when it comes to working, Land, Justice and loads more !!!!!!!!!

Up to you what you all do, I think its stacked against you from the start. bah.gif

I agree we are not treated as equals. We get paid more in most skilled professions. We are worth more in all of the media circles. Our babies command more affection and ooohs and aaahs. Farang knocks off ten years and 20 pounds in the courting game. Thais don't use darkening cream or darkening deodorant. I get moved to the front at almost all village functions. I could go on but its basic common sense. Even my relationship with my Thai dog got better once we established communication and shared expectations and it wasn't that easy we both had to learn many things.

Edited by Scotwight

I agree we are not treated as equals. We get paid more in most skilled professions. We are worth more in all of the media circles. Our babies command more affection and ooohs and aaahs. Farang knocks off ten years and 20 pounds in the courting game. Thais don't use darkening cream or darkening deodorant. I get moved to the front at almost all village functions. I could go on but its basic common sense. Even my relationship with my Thai dog got better once we established communication and shared expectations and it wasn't that easy we both had to learn many things.

Yes i forget the shining examples of the Thai system/ Home of bringing up little boys.

Go figure facepalm.gif

Skilled professions !!!!! You show your lack of knowledge of the Thais in the work place

Integrity would be a start !!!!!!cheesy.gifgiggle.gifcheesy.gif.

TIT thumbsup.gif

Edited by onemorechang

A positive thing here if you don't wish to integrate is that Thais mostly don't ever expect foreigners to integrate into Thainess. In fact there are significant roadblocks if you want to. Compare to moving to a place like Argentina. There you basically need to learn Spanish. There is much less tolerance and accommodation for people who don't. Yes it's easier than Thai but that isn't my point.

Edited by Jingthing

In what way are Thai religious superstitions more ridiculous than anyol other?

First of all I'm not one to defend anyone's ridiculous religious superstitions, be they western or Thai. But I find many Thai superstitions to be "extra" ridiculous.

Lots of good examples provided by jip99 above. Here's another.

Our gated neighborhood employs several security guards. These (unarmed) guards are theoretically our first line of defense should unwanted and possibly armed and dangerous persons enter the compound. I was not surprised to learn that one of the night guards was quitting because he was afraid - until learning that what he was afraid of was not "flesh and blood" bad guys, but ghosts.

Edited by ftpjtm