Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

Struth Scotwight. first a stroke and now robbed. Thailand has been cruel to you.

Did you write the robber a stern email explaining that robbing people is bad and that you demand respect as you have taken the time to learn to speak, read and write the local lingo ?

I flagged down a passing motorcycle rider and explained the situation and he gave me a ride out of danger.

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

My Filipino wife and her Filipino friend, both in their 20s, used to go out shopping together - often - this is not a one off event.

My wife's friend was studying Thai at a language school. When they were out her friend also tried to speak Thai. She was nearly always met with hostility from the Thai women in various establishment (shops, markets, stalls etc), but my wife who only spoke English was always treated well. My wife told her to stop practicing her Thai.

They couldn't understand her Thai well, but they certainly didn't appreciate the effort.

Isn't it like this in France too?

What do you mean exactly? that French people get hostile when foreigners try to communicate in French?

If that's what you mean, it's utter BS.

As everyone knows French people usually suck at speaking any foreign languages, so they're incredibly relieved when a foreigner can speak some French, even quite broken.

I certainly do agree that at least trying to get some control of the Thai language is an effort that always pays off. It's certainly not required if you live in a tourist high place like Pattaya, but even there (from my own experience, not that I've spent a lot of time there) it changes the way the Thais look at you. In the good sense.

Granted, in some situations, it's very useful to let people imagine that you can't understand Thai. I play this on occasion, and I've learned a lot smile.png

Edited by Lannig

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

My Filipino wife and her Filipino friend, both in their 20s, used to go out shopping together - often - this is not a one off event.

My wife's friend was studying Thai at a language school. When they were out her friend also tried to speak Thai. She was nearly always met with hostility from the Thai women in various establishment (shops, markets, stalls etc), but my wife who only spoke English was always treated well. My wife told her to stop practicing her Thai.

They couldn't understand her Thai well, but they certainly didn't appreciate the effort.

You forget who you are dealing with here. I live in Thailand. Filipino story is BS. I know a hundred Filipinos who live and work in Thailand and all the Thais appreciate their attempts to learn and speak the language. Thousands of Filipinos teach at Thai schools with no problems at all.
You are a tefl teacher ?

OK, that explains a lot.

No I'm not. My circle of friends includes language school owners, IT and engineering people and medical professionals who are from the Philippines. That's why I know your story is flawed. I interact with Thai, Filipino and Korean people daily and they all speak Thai to some degree and all get along and the Thais help with language learning and are impressed that they are trying. You should really wander over to the Thai language forum on Thai Visa and tell them your story and have a whole new group of people tell you - you are wrong.

Edited by Scotwight

"one can live here quite comfortably and not speak the local lingo."

Bragging about how you're INTENTIONALLY ignorant?

Ha ha ha, you must be a genius who inherited his money the old-fashioned way.

As Mark Twain once said, it's not what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you THINK you know THAT JUST AIN'T SO.

Dumb people are almost always 100% certain they are "right", 555

Struth Scotwight. first a stroke and now robbed. Thailand has been cruel to you.

Did you write the robber a stern email explaining that robbing people is bad and that you demand respect as you have taken the time to learn to speak, read and write the local lingo ?

I flagged down a passing motorcycle rider and explained the situation and he gave me a ride out of danger.

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

You forget who you are dealing with here. I live in Thailand. Filipino story is BS. I know a hundred Filipinos who live and work in Thailand and all the Thais appreciate their attempts to learn and speak the language. Thousands of Filipinos teach at Thai schools with no problems at all.

Yeah yeah yeah .... I know who I'm dealing with... a self proclaimed genius with a high level of competency in the Thai language..

So if a story doesn't fit into your narrow minded point view, it must be BS?

Edited by tropo

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

What do you mean exactly? that French people get hostile when foreigners try to communicate in French?

It was a question dude. Thanks for your opinion, but such was not the experience when I visited France. Perhaps they've changed since I was there in 1996.

You are a tefl teacher ?

OK, that explains a lot.

No I'm not. My circle of friends includes language school owners, IT and engineering people and medical professionals who are from the Philippines. That's why I know your story is flawed. I interact with Thai, Filipino and Korean people daily and they all speak Thai to some degree and all get along and the Thais help with language learning and are impressed that they are trying. You should really wander over to the Thai language forum on Thai Visa and tell them your story and have a whole new group of people tell you - you are wrong.

There you go dude. You're dealing with upper class professionals equal to your own high level of intelligence and education.

I'm talking about 2 regular young Filipinos who only spend time in the tourist areas of Pattaya, dealing with shop assistants, market stall owners etc... basically your uneducated lower class of Thais - but still people nonetheless.

There is no flawed story. No BS story. No wrong story. It is the experience of my wife and friend - we've been in Pattaya for 10 years.

Now please stop flapping and try to communicate in an intelligent fashion... less flame and more substance would be nice.

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

You are a tefl teacher ?

OK, that explains a lot.

Wow, you know my story is flawed but yet you know zero about me, you should have said earlier you are also a clairvoyant.

Amusingly I interact with Thai people daily and they too speak Thai, pretty amazing hey.

They also speak English though.

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

It was a question dude. Thanks for your opinion, but such was not the experience when I visited France. Perhaps they've changed since I was there in 1996.

The French don't like it when you try to speak French and the Thais don't like it when you (family) try and speak Thai. Although you are the only one this seems to happen to. Perhaps it's you because I've never met anyone who does not appreciate me or Filipinos trying to speak Thai. I asked a couple of Filipinos I work with if anyone has ever not appreciated them speaking Thai and they said no and added that people really liked them teaching Thai to their Filipino children.

You are a tefl teacher ?

OK, that explains a lot.

Wow, you know my story is flawed but yet you know zero about me, you should have said earlier you are also a clairvoyant.

Amusingly I interact with Thai people daily and they too speak Thai, pretty amazing hey.

No, I was referring to Tropo's story.

You are a tefl teacher ?

OK, that explains a lot.

No, I was referring to Tropo's story.

And yet you qoute and reply to me.

What are peoples views when the situation is reversed, IE: In your home country when ethnic groups live in their own ethnic and cultural bubble, don't learn the language, Don't eat the food, don't respect the customs and predominate religion. Only interact with there own kind etc. I presume all the posters that think living here in the western bubble is fine, would not have a problem, in fact encourage it at home.

What are peoples views when the situation is reversed, IE: In your home country when ethnic groups live in their own ethnic and cultural bubble, don't learn the language, Don't eat the food, don't respect the customs and predominate religion. Only interact with there own kind etc. I presume all the posters that think living here in the western bubble is fine, would not have a problem, in fact encourage it at home.

Are you saying those of us here in our western bubbles do not respect the customs and predominant religion of Thailand by not learning the lingo or eating the food ?

It's difficult to get by in most western countries if you can't speak the language. This post is about living in Pattaya, where there is no need to speak (let alone read) Thai or to eat Thai food, to live easily and comfortably (the same in Bangkok).

It's difficult to get by in most western countries if you can't speak the language. This post is about living in Pattaya, where there is no need to speak (let alone read) Thai or to eat Thai food, to live easily and comfortably (the same in Bangkok).

That's my point, if you live in Chinatown in any western city, you can speak mandarin the rest of your life. In Australia, 90% of social media is "Why dont these immigrants learn our language, eat our food etc. "why do they want to have Halal food" etc.

I'd agree with you but that's not the topic. So far the recent debate has centered around Tropo saying Thais don't want foreigners to learn their language (patently false INMHO) and some other guy saying there is no reason to learn Thai as it does not improve nor enhance your lifestyle living in Thailand,

Are you saying those of us here in our western bubbles do not respect the customs and predominant religion of Thailand by not learning the lingo or eating the food ?

I was trying to highlite the reverse situation. There are big chunks of the population in western countries, who are of the opinion, if you dont learn our langugae, eat our food etc, Go home.

I was trying to highlite the reverse situation. There are big chunks of the population in western countries, who are of the opinion, if you dont learn our langugae, eat our food etc, Go home.

The opinion of some is not the opinion of all.

I'd agree with you but that's not the topic. So far the recent debate has centered around Tropo saying Thais don't want foreigners to learn their language (patently false INMHO) and some other guy saying there is no reason to learn Thai as it does not improve nor enhance your lifestyle living in Thailand,

Sorry, I was responding to the broader topic.

I cant help but think there are probably some ethnic group in a western country having these same arguments, in there home language etc

Residency tests for many countries include being able to speak the language to a reasonable degree.

If Thailand were to implement that it might be a good idea, let the ' grunters ' live in their own countries.

Fair enough for tourists, that's understandable.......but residents should have some knowledge of the language.

I have witnessed many of these ' grunters '.......storming out of seven elevens and grunting at wait staff because

they do not have the ability to even ask for a glass of water........and they storm out in disgust...

Morons of the highest order.....

Residency tests for many countries include being able to speak the language to a reasonable degree.

If Thailand were to implement that it might be a good idea, let the ' grunters ' live in their own countries.

Fair enough for tourists, that's understandable.......but residents should have some knowledge of the language.

I have witnessed many of these ' grunters '.......storming out of seven elevens and grunting at wait staff because

they do not have the ability to even ask for a glass of water........and they storm out in disgust...

You do know there is a language requirement for those seeking residency.

your arrogant rubbish bla-bla can't hide the fact to which class of "residents" you belong. being familiar how "morons" behave in 7/11s tells a story! coffee1.gif

If those 'wait staff' are in tourist areas they should be able to provide service to western standards and at least speak some English - it after all the working language of ASEAN.

The service level and competence in Thailand is generally not high.

7/11 or 5 star places (I have mixed with both Naam smile.png )

If those 'wait staff' are in tourist areas they should be able to provide service to western standards and at least speak some English - it after all the working language of ASEAN.

may i assume you are not too often sitting on the stairs of a 7/11, sipping a Leo and watching morons storm out? gigglem.gif

Edited by Naam

may i assume you are not too often sitting on the stairs of a 7/11, sipping a Leo and watching morons storm out? gigglem.gif

someone needs to tell the morons a simply grunt is sufficient to be served.

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

The French don't like it when you try to speak French and the Thais don't like it when you (family) try and speak Thai. Although you are the only one this seems to happen to. Perhaps it's you because I've never met anyone who does not appreciate me or Filipinos trying to speak Thai. I asked a couple of Filipinos I work with if anyone has ever not appreciated them speaking Thai and they said no and added that people really liked them teaching Thai to their Filipino children.

You should read more slowly so you comprehend what your read... I DON'T attempt to speak Thai. It was never mentioned that I do.

This story bothered you so much you've been seeking out Filipinos to ask? LOL. Each situation is different mate but you don't understand Filipinos - they won't say anything about Thai people that could possibly offend, especially if they work here and have a good job. They'll just tell you what you want to hear, especially to a forceful bulldog like yourself who obviously has to be right and won't let go. LOL> you probably just put words in their mouths and they nodded.

Edited by tropo

It's called freedom to live their lives how they want to as guaranteed by that country's constitution. Thailand guarantees that too, making it quite popular with expats.

It's called freedom to live their lives how they want to as guaranteed by that country's constitution. Thailand guarantees that too, making it quite popular with expats.

Since Thailand has changed constitutions once every 4 years since 1932 you have quite a choice. If the current one is not suitable just hang around a while and wait for the next one.wai2.gif

Expats are typically not official residents of Thailand. Most live here year to year on NON-IMMIGRANT extensions. They are NON-IMMIGRANTS. If we leave we even have to get re-entry permits.

I'm not sure if immigrants here need to learn the language or not... not many expats apply for residency.

Expats are typically not official residents of Thailand. Most live here year to year on NON-IMMIGRANT extensions. They are NON-IMMIGRANTS. If we leave we even have to get re-entry permits.

I'm not sure if immigrants here need to learn the language or not... not many expats apply for residency.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/639716-is-thai-language-skill-still-a-requirement-for-permanent-residency/