Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

I think we can all agree that if you're not Thai at heart you will get bored of the Thai culture after a while.

Yes. The longer I live here the more irritating I find Thai culture. If it wasn't for my (non-Thai) family and the fact that my standard of living is a lot better here than back home, I'd go back. Fortunately living in Bangkok can be very western.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

surely this thread was meant as a joke. or does anybody think associating Pattaya with Thai culture is not a joke? coffee1.gif

I don't know, this is the same tired old argument about what constitutes the "real" Thailand. Pattaya is as much a real part of Thailand as some shack up in Issan is. Sure it is full of hookers but at the end of the day those hookers are still Thai. In fact it could even be argued that Pattaya is uniquely Thai.

I am not a big fan of Pattaya but you can find Thai culture quite easily if you want to there. I wouldn't go there for that but it doesn't mean it isn't there. On the flip side of the coin it is very easy to go there and avoid any kind of Thai culture should that be your wish. Though if you ever leave your house you will be exposed to some level of Thai culture regardless of the type of venues you go to.

In some ways guys that are involved with sex workers would get much more exposure to Thai culture versus perhaps a guy who is happily married and stays at home with his foreign wife might. This isn't meant in a nasty way but just a simple observation.

If you think there is no Thai culture at all in Pattaya what kind of feeling do you get when you go there? Do you mistakenly think you are in NYC or Amsterdam? You don't notice the people hawking sticky rice from Issan, the tuk tuks, karaoke places, and the weekend tourists many of which are Thai from Bangkok on the beach?

It could be argued that Pattaya represents all that is wrong with Thai culture and that is a subjective opinion, but to say it is bereft of Thai culture is not accurate.

Just to get back on topic it isn't wrong to live in Pattaya and not be interested in the culture. You are most likely to end up being unhappy or go tropo if you attempt to do so though. If you are here just for the cheap rents you would probably be better off somewhere else. The Thais won't care either way so it is really up to you.

One thing i do like about Thai culture is the way

they take care of there elderly parents in the family home right to the end if possible.

We from the west mostly put them in old peoples homes or get some

form of home help letting them struggle on, so we can carry on with our lives.

Well done people of Thailand for that one. thumbsup.gif

Ps Government do very little in Thailand on this issue in the way of help.

Edited by onemorechang

they take care of there elderly parents in the family home right to the end if possible.

that is not exclusively Thai culture but the done thing in South and South-East Asia.

surely this thread was meant as a joke. or does anybody think associating Pattaya with Thai culture is not a joke? coffee1.gif

I don't know, this is the same tired old argument about what constitutes the "real" Thailand. Pattaya is as much a real part of Thailand as some shack up in Issan is. Sure it is full of hookers but at the end of the day those hookers are still Thai. In fact it could even be argued that Pattaya is uniquely Thai.

I am not a big fan of Pattaya but you can find Thai culture quite easily if you want to there. I wouldn't go there for that but it doesn't mean it isn't there. On the flip side of the coin it is very easy to go there and avoid any kind of Thai culture should that be your wish. Though if you ever leave your house you will be exposed to some level of Thai culture regardless of the type of venues you go to.

In some ways guys that are involved with sex workers would get much more exposure to Thai culture versus perhaps a guy who is happily married and stays at home with his foreign wife might. This isn't meant in a nasty way but just a simple observation.

If you think there is no Thai culture at all in Pattaya what kind of feeling do you get when you go there? Do you mistakenly think you are in NYC or Amsterdam? You don't notice the people hawking sticky rice from Issan, the tuk tuks, karaoke places, and the weekend tourists many of which are Thai from Bangkok on the beach?

It could be argued that Pattaya represents all that is wrong with Thai culture and that is a subjective opinion, but to say it is bereft of Thai culture is not accurate.

don't put words in my mouth but read what i wrote! where did i mention anything that could be interpreted as "bereft of culture"?

Thailand has a rich culture but the claim that Pattaya is a part of the country's culture is not only ridiculous but an insult. culture is not something that develops over a fistful of decades. Walking Street, Soi 6, Pizza Hut, Sabailand, tranny shows, Uzbek and Ukrainian whores working ladies, are not part of Thai culture!

my first (of uncountable) visit(s) to Pattaya was 43 years ago. in a few months it will be 12 years since i live fulltime in Pattaya and i do like living here. so don't bore me to death by lecturing me about Pattaya and culture. coffee1.gif

Edited by Naam

don't put words in my mouth but read what i wrote! where did i mention anything that could be interpreted as "bereft of culture"?

Thailand has a rich culture but the claim that Pattaya is a part of the country's culture is not only ridiculous but an insult. culture is not something that develops over a fistful of decades. Walking Street, Soi 6, Pizza Hut, Sabailand, tranny shows, Uzbek and Ukrainian whores working ladies, are not part of Thai culture!

my first (of uncountable) visit(s) to Pattaya was 43 years ago. in a few months it will be 12 years since i live fulltime in Pattaya and i do like living here. so don't bore me to death by lecturing me about Pattaya and culture. coffee1.gif

You have an uneducated definition of culture that only applies to positive stereotypes.

According to Samovar and Porter (1994), culture refers to the cumulative deposit of knowledge, experience, beliefs, values, attitudes, meanings, hierarchies, religion, notions of time, roles, spatial relations, concepts of the universe, and material objects and possessions acquired by a group of people in the course of generations through individual and group striving.

Certainly Pattaya has a culture. That you don't agree with it or find it morally reprehensible is hardly the point. The girlfriend experience and the mia noi experience are part of the Thai culture and were first documented by sailing ships visiting Thailand from the West in the 15th or 16th century.

Edited by Scotwight

You have an uneducated definition of culture that only applies to positive stereotypes.

According to Samovar and Porter (1994), culture refers to the cumulative deposit of knowledge, experience, beliefs, values, attitudes, meanings, hierarchies, religion, notions of time, roles, spatial relations, concepts of the universe, and material objects and possessions acquired by a group of people in the course of generations through individual and group striving.

Culture has only existed since 1994 ?

That is the date of that definition demonstrating that it is current and topical. https://web.stanford.edu/~hakuta/www/archives/syllabi/E_CLAD/sfusd_cult_03/melissa/Culture%20Defined.htm

That is the date of that definition demonstrating that it is current and topical. https://web.stanford.edu/~hakuta/www/archives/syllabi/E_CLAD/sfusd_cult_03/melissa/Culture%20Defined.htm

Ohh ok.

All you spew about culture, thats what you base it upon ?

A thread started by a man who knows little about Thai culture and cares even less looking to go home and commented on by a recluse, man in a bubble and a Fillipinphile who dislikes/avoids Thailand culture telling a well adjusted expat with a Thai wife and family about Thailand. Yup a joke.

I lived in Pattaya when it was a fishing village, a refuge from the troubles in Bangkok and more recently and on all three occasions it was a part of the Thai culture. In each case a different part but a part nevertheless.

You think you're a "well adjusted expat with a Thai wife and family"?

I read this recently on another thread:

Scotwight:

Quote: "Where do you find them? No matter much I paid my wives they wanted more for less. First year it was honey would you like another beer and let me empty your ashtray. 7th year it was, "you drink too much and everything in the house smells like smoke." and I was paying a lot more in the 7th year than the first year. I heard less of what I wanted the more I paid."

There was no point going further. Everything you've offered on this thread is bs. Let's hope you don't live in a highrise.

Ohh ok.

I don't see how any discussion is possible if people have vastly divergent ideas of what the topic is. If you think anything is wrong with my definition or would like to add something feel free to mention it.

Edited by Scotwight

Ohh ok.

I don't see how any discussion is possible if people have vastly divergent ideas of what the topic is. If you think anything is wrong with my definition or would like to add something feel free to mention it.

And that in a nutshell is it.

You live your life as you want and I live mine.

Keep your shit/culture to yourself and don't criticize me for having a different outlook on life.

Keep your shit/culture to yourself and don't criticize me for having a different outlook on life.

That hardly seems fair as you have been quite critical of me and almost everything I have written even going so far as to criticize the Sony rep I was talking to. I think if you act in very offensive manner you can expect the same in return eh?

Edited by Scotwight

This is not a unique Thai cultural thing - it's common in many countries throughout the world.

Even then it's not universal. Not everyone looks after their parents at the same level.

This is not a unique Thai cultural thing - it's common in many countries throughout the world.

Even then it's not universal. Not everyone looks after their parents at the same level.

In America the kids expect the parents to support them well into adulthood vs Thailand which upon adulthood begin to support the parents.

In America the kids expect the parents to support them well into adulthood vs Thailand which upon adulthood begin to support the parents.

... and you think that only happens in Thailand? Of course you do!

That hardly seems fair as you have been quite critical of me and almost everything I have written even going so far as to criticize the Sony rep I was talking to. I think if you act in very offensive manner you can expect the same in return eh?

Anyone that tries to forcefully ram their beliefs down my throat will always be met with criticism and offense.

No of course not. I didn't say that did I? Because that happens in other Asian countries as opposed to Western countries does not mean it does not happen in Thailand. Culture is rarely exclusive to one country. Thai dancing is a good example. It comes from Cambodia (don't tell Thai people). But it is still Thai dancing.

Certainly Pattaya has a culture. That you don't agree with it or find it morally reprehensible is hardly the point. The girlfriend experience and the mia noi experience are part of the Thai culture and were first documented by sailing ships visiting Thailand from the West in the 15th or 16th century.

Samovar and Porter yada yada yakety-yak blah-blah...

Certainly Pattaya has a culture.

what part of my posting "not part of Thai culture!" is it you don't understand? saai.gif

No of course not. I didn't say that did I? Because that happens in other Asian countries as opposed to Western countries does not mean it does not happen in Thailand. Culture is rarely exclusive to one country. Thai dancing is a good example. It comes from Cambodia (don't tell Thai people). But it is still Thai dancing.

For example, you won't see Thai dancing in the Philippines, but you WILL see a culture of children looking after and supporting their parents.

If someone tells me something special about Thai culture, I'm assuming such is a unique attribute, seen only in Thailand. I'm sure, as an aficionado of all things Thai you can give us some examples.

Anyone that tries to forcefully ram their beliefs down my throat will always be met with criticism and offense.

I certainly never did that. If you think I did please post an example and I'll be more than happy to apologize. You on the other hand said you would rather be HIV+ than own a Sony because I mentioned I was talking to a Sony rep. Didn't bother me.

Edited by Scotwight

I certainly never did that. If you think I did please post an example and I'll be more than happy to apologize. You on the other hand said you would rather be HIV+ than own a Sony because I mentioned I was talking to a Sony rep. Didn't bother me.

Its all good mate, you pay your wife to bring you another beer and empty your ashtray. We all know which culture you don't want to be part of but are actually part of.

That kinda daily life must really suck but hey, your wife bringing you beer and emptying the ashtray aint a bad thing I guess as it gives you plenty of time to be a keyboard bleeding heart to all those orphans and HIV peeps.

Edited by Don Mega

Samovar and Porter yada yada yakety-yak blah-blah...

Certainly Pattaya has a culture.

what part of my posting "not part of Thai culture!" is it you don't understand? saai.gif

I understood it and added that it is in error as many things practiced in Pattaya are part of the Thai culture.

Let other people do what makes them happy and do what makes you happy.

Knowing a bit of Thai lingo and culture may get you out of bother now and then...and theres nothing more satisfying than making a Thai person smile or laugh.

You might even be lucky enough to make a Thai friend..and they can be great fun and very helpful .... As a Thai lady said to me once,..'Up to you'.