Rent a Space for a Day or Two

Stubby

Howdy folks,

I'm in the middle of writing a book and I've got some momentum going now. The bad news is that my condo has just announced a few daytime power outages over the coming two weeks. It has something to do with maintenance apparently. Anyway, three of these will last all day, hence this email.

I know some people like to sit in coffee shops with their mobile devices, and it is an economical way do things for sure. However, that's not really my thing to be honest. I'd sooner pay for a little desk space and not feel like I'm hogging a seat in what is after all a place for passing trade. I've heard of these working areas but don't know anything about them. If anyone here can make some suggestions that would be great. A quiet space would be preferable, but if not, just a area with a little desk and a connection to the internet will suffice.

I'm just curious, do they charge by the hour, half day, full day etc? My joint won't have any power from 9-5 on a couple of days, so I'll need a good few hours. Also, is there a special name for these types of hired desk areas so that I can do a bit of searching around myself.

Thanks in advance,

Stubby

What part of town do you live?

These places are called co-working places, there's one next to the cinema at Maya Mall and a new one opened in Bldg. B across from Imm. at Promenada Mall. But, it could be more private and you'd have a private toilet just to rent a room in a hotel or guest house for the day, also.

In a former life, I've holed up in hotel rooms to write magazine articles and books, even in my home town just to get away from everyone/everything when I was under deadline. Room service, mini bar, aircon, and having a toilet a few steps away are all very nice

Some great ideas there folks, thanks very much. I will check out my options. I'm not far from town, but I'm closer to Airport Plaza not far from Night Safai. Thanks one and all :)

Cube #7 on Sirimangkalajarn Soi 7 has an upstairs study area that is quiet (no AC) and on Sirimangkalajarn Soi 13 just past Cafe de Nimman is a 24 hour study cafe with AC that is pretty peaceful during the day and is 99% students rather than self important foreigners.

A place that provides just what you want is on the west side of Tung Hotel Road in the building that houses the Star Avenue offices next to an Amazon. Daily weekly or monthly. Wifi quiet clean working space for business people and others.

Edited by Bill97

A place that provides just what you want is on the west side of Tung Hotel Road in the building that houses the Star Avenue offices next to an Amazon. Daily weekly or monthly. Wifi quiet clean working space for business people and others.

Thanks Bill, but I think that might just be a bit too far in the opposite direction of where I am. I'm still going to pencil it in as a "potential' though, so thanks for posting ;)

Stubby

Cube #7 on Sirimangkalajarn Soi 7 has an upstairs study area that is quiet (no AC) and on Sirimangkalajarn Soi 13 just past Cafe de Nimman is a 24 hour study cafe with AC that is pretty peaceful during the day and is 99% students rather than self important foreigners.

Thanks JTB. The area looks popular and plenty of choices. If i can find a tiny little hotel room for the day, I think that might be my best option after reading earlier posts. It doesn't matter how small it is as long as there's a desk, chair and WiFi, that will do me. It will be the quietest option too, but I haven't ruled anything out at the moment.

Stubby

I'd be reluctant to leave my stuff all spread around, with my computer open if I got up to use the toilet and stretch my legs in a co-working space. Also I like the aircon on sub-arctic when I was working. When we moved here, I still had to finish some writing assignments on plants for cold weather climates and I just couldn't get in the mood if I was hot and able to see tropical landscape out the window.

I'd be reluctant to leave my stuff all spread around, with my computer open if I got up to use the toilet and stretch my legs in a co-working space. Also I like the aircon on sub-arctic when I was working. When we moved here, I still had to finish some writing assignments on plants for cold weather climates and I just couldn't get in the mood if I was hot and able to see tropical landscape out the window.

That is actually a very good point Nancy. My guess is that it's quite safe to leave stuff on a desk for a trip to the loo in such places. But it's no guarantee that's for sure. Now that the worst of the heat is over, I'd be happy with a fan in a cupboard if I could find one. It's only going to be every once in a while, so I'm not bothered about a room with a view or any creature comforts at this point. Still looking though.

Stubby

Hi Folks,

Just a quick update and request here for info here.

I can find plenty of cheap little hotels in my area that could work. However, there tends to be this thing about check-in and check-out times. I called two yesterday, one of which said I have to check in at 12 noon. The other said 14:00, even though there are empty rooms. Any time before these times is considered a late check-in from the day previous because of the next day check out times. Well, I expect to be out of a place by around 4-30pm (same day), so that doesn't work.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I will go out later this afternoon and do a bit of door knocking to a few places to see if I can find a bit more flexibility. Maybe it's easier to explain my dilemma face-to-face.

Will update the thread if I have any luck.

Cheers,

Stuby

Update!

OK, I've given up on the "room for a day" option - for now at least - and have decided to go to a co-work space. It's a first for me so I won't know what to think about that until the day's end.

Thanks one and all for your input.

Stubby