Ordering anything from Alibaba web site

cangolfbuilder

I have read today online about other peoples experiences with Alibaba. They all say that it is hit and miss. If you can find a quality dealer with quality products then you are aces. If not you may as well spend the money on cheap Lao Khao and wake up with less of a head ache.

same as with lazada.

That is why one should only buy from lazada if you can see it is "sold and fulfilled by lazada" and not "sold and fulfilled by your neighbors poodle".

and maybe Tesco, they sell a lot on lazada too

As I understand they recently became one in the same, but I can't remember who bought who.

No one bought someone. Completly different groups.

Alibaba.com is a chinese Investment group

Lazada is a german Investment Group. Rocket Internet!!! On the european market they ran Zalando and destroy all small shops.

Edited by snowgard

I have read today online about other peoples experiences with Alibaba. They all say that it is hit and miss. If you can find a quality dealer with quality products then you are aces. If not you may as well spend the money on cheap Lao Khao and wake up with less of a head ache.

same as with lazada.

That is why one should only buy from lazada if you can see it is "sold and fulfilled by lazada" and not "sold and fulfilled by your neighbors poodle".

and maybe Tesco, they sell a lot on lazada too

As I understand they recently became one in the same, but I can't remember who bought who.

No one bought someone. Completly different groups.

Alibaba.com is a chinese Investment group

Lazada is a german Investment Group. Rocket Internet!!! On the european market they ran Zalando and destroy all small shops.

Alibaba recently purchase a controlling interest in Lazada.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-04-12/alibaba-to-pay-1-billion-for-control-of-lazada-e-commerce-site

Here are my stats for Ali Express:

Total orders: 19

Arrived in satisfactory condition: 19 items (100%)

Good quality items - looked and worked as described: 15 items (79%)

(36V Li-ion battery pack for Bosch hammer drill, various audio-visual leads and connectors, car dash-cam, swimming pool pH meter, digital measuring gauge, wireless mouse, original [yes, really!] HTC One M8 smartphone, replacement printed circuit and USB port for mobile phone, armour case for phone, motorbike rain cover, electric guitar parts)

Poor quality items - not as described and/or, not fit for purpose and/or, broke down within a month: 4 items (21%)

(Powered USB hub, refillable ink cartridges for HP printer, tuning machines for electric guitar, 30,000 mAh power bank)

Experience with customer service:

Two claims made, and still ongoing. The initial approach has been to deny that the goods were at fault. It's too early to see how they will play out.

My subjective conclusions:

• It's a gamble, but there are certainly good quality products available, significantly cheaper than "through normal channels".
  • Research in detail first
  • I have saved significantly more money than I've lost. Ballpark figures below.

Total spent: 426 GBP

Amount lost: 53 GBP (assuming that I get no replacement/refund from customer service)

Amount saved on satisfactory orders: 283 GBP (a conservative estimate, based on current, best available retail prices)

Net savings: 230 GBP.......very good!
  • I'm feeling that one may have to write off shoddy goods. I have no faith in the sellers' customer service. It remains to be seen how much Ali Express' customer service can influence that.
  • One month shipping times are a necessary evil. Mostly the shipping is free, so I can't complain.

thumbsup.gif

With Lazada, I had a bad experience where I ordered and paid for seven items, from seven different suppliers.

I then had to go through the torturous and annoying process of six of these items not arriving, then getting refunds from all defaulters, having to check statements, etc.

I can't risk that happening again, so I won't be using Lazada again in a hurry!

Edited by Tapster

Ok!!! I don't readed it before. But this explain that we can find more and more chinese products at almost same price like aliexpress.com on Lazada!!! Some real cheaper!!! And that Tesco is now on Lazada too.