Gazza In Trouble Again

ThaiPauly

PG was a telent. Nobody could deny that.

But after he was sacked after 39 days as manager of a non-league team for drinking on the job he appears to be out of control.

He was arrested on Tuesday night at a night club in Chelsea and is possibly facing a charge of ABH.

He has a history of getting into trouble and is seemingly loosing his battle with the booze.

I hope he can get a grip. I would hate to see him go the same way Besty did.

He was not in Best's class, but when he first burst on the scene in the 1980's he was hailed as the English answer to George Best and many pundits thought he would go on to be one of the worlds greatest ever players. Alas through some horrific injuries and off the field problems he could never get his head round being a superstar and his career petered out at Everton, he then went to Boston United and nowhere else really.

GET A GRIP GAZZA..before its too late

It's unfortunate but when a sporting legend starts on the downhill run there is never a shortage of a'holes to help them on their way. A snide remark in a pub/club/restaurant, a bit of verbal, a bit of physical and whose name makes the headlines? The follow up/retraction never seems to carry the same weight if it appears at all.

Gazza has been a complete plonker at times but there's no denying it, he had talent it's just a pity he'll be remembered for being a plonker.

Agreed TP, he certainly does seem to be struggling with addiction, a problem that will quite likely dog him for the rest of life. I'ts very sad.. As good as Best, probably not, but he was on many occasions a joy to watch, (his goal for England against Scotland in Euro 2006 for one, if your an England fan that is)

Again a player whose personal demons cut short a potentially long and successful career. It would be a shame if the only true comparison to be made between Gazza and George Best were their abilities to self destruct. I hope he gets himself sorted out..

Edited by muckypups

And didn't he have a brief stint playing in China?

Anyway, He seems to have capitulated a lot later into his career than Best did. He had already had most of his best years behind him when things really started to go pear-shaped.

Some great goals, especially that FA Cup free kick, amazing. Goal against Scotland been mentioned already, there were plenty more as well.

And didn't he have a brief stint playing in China?

Anyway, He seems to have capitulated a lot later into his career than Best did. He had already had most of his best years behind him when things really started to go pear-shaped.

Some great goals, especially that FA Cup free kick, amazing. Goal against Scotland been mentioned already, there were plenty more as well.

Agreed dantilley he even visited the dentists chair before the Euro Champs for those that remember and after scoring the goal against Scotland he and a few others showed all of England how it was done but with water.......Sorry to bring the game up again Jockstar. Maybe he was on comission.

Seriously he was a great player and a character.

Like Bestie, PG was another one (amonst many) who didn't have a contingency plan for when his playing career ended.. played in obscure teams around the world, its like they are in denial that its coming to an end/ended. They seem to be like a little boy lost in the shopping mall when its all over, don't know what to do with their time, out of the limelight - so they turn to drink/drugs.

Gazza is from a generation of footballers who got what was considered 'normal' wages for playing - not the telephone numbers they get today, also the support network was pretty much non-existent then.

eeeee The kids today dont know there born etc, when I was a lad ..blah blah etc

This from the "Star"..

Gazza: I have found God and Mickey Mouse

TORMENTED football legend Paul Gascoigne yesterday said he counted on God – and Mickey Mouse – to save him from his demons.

A day after he was released from police cells, the 39-year-old former England hero spoke out about his crazy life.

In a series of bizarre confessions, Gazza revealed how he . . .

Loves Disney World more than anywhere else and wants to live there with Mickey Mouse.

Buys bottles of whisky for drunks and doesn’t care if he end up a homeless down-and-out himself.

Sometimes “just wants to die”.

Has found God, who he says has kept him alive.

The confessions are sure to add to fans’ and friends’ concerns that the booze-battling star is dangerously close to cracking up.

We revealed yesterday how Gazza was arrested after being accused of racially abusing a photographer and punching another in a boozy bust-up

outside a London nightclub. He was held in the police cells for nine hours on Wednesday.

Yesterday Gazza admitted that his self-destructive streak left even him baffled, adding: “Maybe it’s because sometimes I just want to die.” But he proved that he is still a big kid at heart by revealing his love of Mickey Mouse.

He said: “Disney World in Florida is my favourite place on the planet.

“I f***ing love Mickey Mouse and every time I see the Cinderella Castle it’s my dream, it really is. I would love to live there all my life.”

The former Spurs ace said he had also turned to religion to try to tackle his problems. He told the December issue of Esquire magazine, out now: “I’ve just started to believe in God. I read the Bible now and again.

“I’m not a Bible-basher but I believe in God because he has kept me alive –

touch wood.”

Gazza – branded “daft as a brush” by ex-England manager Sir Bobby Robson, now 73 – admitted he was battling inner torment, but said he was determined to win. He added: “I don’t mind if I end up on the streets. I’m one of those people who know that the more I give, the more I will get back.

“If I can save someone’s life, I’ll do it. I don’t give a sh** about my life. If I see an alcoholic on the street, I will buy him a bottle of whisky because I know the pain he is going through.

“I wake up every f***ing day with 27 different problems and addictions to face. Every day is a fight. I have to fight because I’m a survivor.”

Gazza is famed for crying when he was sent off in the 1990 World Cup semi-final.

And he still likes to weep, because he says it helps him battle depression.

Asked how he coped with the bad days, he said: “I either get on the phone or watch a sad film, because I know it will make me cry and crying helps me to get all the emotions out.”

He also recalled how he once ended up with nine motorbikes after a massive booze bender.

He said: “I woke up the next morning with nine Harley-Davidsons and no idea where I’d got them from.

“I gave away six and kept three. I spent £1,000 on the drinking session . . . and £110,000 on the bikes.”

Very sad reading.. he certainly seems to be in a bad way. :o

This from the "Star"..

Gazza: I have found God and Mickey Mouse

TORMENTED football legend Paul Gascoigne yesterday said he counted on God – and Mickey Mouse – to save him from his demons.

A day after he was released from police cells, the 39-year-old former England hero spoke out about his crazy life.

In a series of bizarre confessions, Gazza revealed how he . . .

Loves Disney World more than anywhere else and wants to live there with Mickey Mouse.

Buys bottles of whisky for drunks and doesn’t care if he end up a homeless down-and-out himself.

Sometimes “just wants to die”.

Has found God, who he says has kept him alive.

The confessions are sure to add to fans’ and friends’ concerns that the booze-battling star is dangerously close to cracking up.

We revealed yesterday how Gazza was arrested after being accused of racially abusing a photographer and punching another in a boozy bust-up

outside a London nightclub. He was held in the police cells for nine hours on Wednesday.

Yesterday Gazza admitted that his self-destructive streak left even him baffled, adding: “Maybe it’s because sometimes I just want to die.” But he proved that he is still a big kid at heart by revealing his love of Mickey Mouse.

He said: “Disney World in Florida is my favourite place on the planet.

“I f***ing love Mickey Mouse and every time I see the Cinderella Castle it’s my dream, it really is. I would love to live there all my life.”

The former Spurs ace said he had also turned to religion to try to tackle his problems. He told the December issue of Esquire magazine, out now: “I’ve just started to believe in God. I read the Bible now and again.

“I’m not a Bible-basher but I believe in God because he has kept me alive –

touch wood.”

Gazza – branded “daft as a brush” by ex-England manager Sir Bobby Robson, now 73 – admitted he was battling inner torment, but said he was determined to win. He added: “I don’t mind if I end up on the streets. I’m one of those people who know that the more I give, the more I will get back.

“If I can save someone’s life, I’ll do it. I don’t give a sh** about my life. If I see an alcoholic on the street, I will buy him a bottle of whisky because I know the pain he is going through.

“I wake up every f***ing day with 27 different problems and addictions to face. Every day is a fight. I have to fight because I’m a survivor.”

Gazza is famed for crying when he was sent off in the 1990 World Cup semi-final.

And he still likes to weep, because he says it helps him battle depression.

Asked how he coped with the bad days, he said: “I either get on the phone or watch a sad film, because I know it will make me cry and crying helps me to get all the emotions out.”

He also recalled how he once ended up with nine motorbikes after a massive booze bender.

He said: “I woke up the next morning with nine Harley-Davidsons and no idea where I’d got them from.

“I gave away six and kept three. I spent £1,000 on the drinking session . . . and £110,000 on the bikes.”

Very sad reading.. he certainly seems to be in a bad way. :o

Now that reallis Depressing Reading..I never knew he had got this bad. :D

Hope he can fight his way back from what would appear to be the brink.

Who could not love 'Gazza'?

However, I don't think comparing his plight to George Best is accurate. They were both talented players, but George quit football and opted for a hedonistic lifestyle and booze took over his life, and ended it prematurely at 57 after a liver transplant for alcoholic liver disease.

George Best knew what he was doing, he was sober for over two years, he was very afraid of death and was a victim of ALD (which kills 10-30% of alcoholics).

Paul Gascoigne is a different case, he is 40 years old and his alcoholism is a symptom of his mental illness. He has a multitude of psychiatric, psychological and personality disorders. There are too many to name: depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, borderline personality etc.

I feel that there is hope for Gazza. He is not a hedonist. If he got proper medical treatment and got his head straightened out, the alcoholism would be controlled. If he does not do so, he will self- destruct, but suicide or a fatal accident is a lot more likely than dying of a damaged liver.

Who could not love 'Gazza'?

However, I don't think comparing his plight to George Best is accurate. They were both talented players, but George quit football and opted for a hedonistic lifestyle and booze took over his life, and ended it prematurely at 57 after a liver transplant for alcoholic liver disease.

George Best knew what he was doing, he was sober for over two years, he was very afraid of death and was a victim of ALD (which kills 10-30% of alcoholics).

Paul Gascoigne is a different case, he is 40 years old and his alcoholism is a symptom of his mental illness. He has a multitude of psychiatric, psychological and personality disorders. There are too many to name: depression, anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, borderline personality etc.

I feel that there is hope for Gazza. He is not a hedonist. If he got proper medical treatment and got his head straightened out, the alcoholism would be controlled. If he does not do so, he will self- destruct, but suicide or a fatal accident is a lot more likely than dying of a damaged liver.

I'm no psychologist, but there does seem to be some striking similarities with your standard bipolar cases – the ones mentioned in a documentary on recently done by Stephen Fry about manic depressives.

Whatever his issues, I hope he gets them mended. He is a bit of an icon for both favourable and unfavourable reasons.