Caterpillar infestaion

SussexExpat

Anyone else having a problem with caterpillars?

In my front garden I have six trees, 50 foot plus tall, were taller before I had the tops lopped off. A few days ago all of them were in full leaf, now three of them have no leaves at all due to the caterpillars. They've started on the other three trees. I reckon another 36 hours and all of them wont have a leaf left. The ground at the bottom of the trees is a black carpet of caterpillar poo.

There not big, about an inch long, green and yellow in colour.

Edited by SussexExpat

On the subject of caterpillars and butterfly's if you want to attract the butterfly's to your garden get an over rips banana (black is ideal) and mash it up with some alcohol mixed in on a flat plate and leave it in a tree. They love it. Used to do it in Africa to attract them and it did really work

Having the same problems with the caterpillars. This is the worst I have seen in 20 years. There was a Thai television news report yesterday, it seems to be one of those bumper years for them.

Since this is the beginning of the rain season don't think they will do much damage as new foliage is replacing the damaged leaves. My trees that are worst attacked are teak.

Picture please, i want to see

It's more than likely this one.

rose_myrtle_lappet_caterpillar_thailand_

Rose Myrtle Lappet Moth Caterpillar

Went to the market near Cambodia yesterday and there were thousands of the things, they liked one type of tree in particular.

And I thought the 4 winged insects were bad enough. Much worse than last year. My gf left the outside light on in the kitchen area a few nights ago. The following morning the floor was an inch deep in shed wings.