are schools skimming teachers' salaries?

Good afternoon fellow teachers/TV members,

I have written before about the school I am teaching, a government elementary school in Krabi province. My previous post was about security deposit for a teaching job and I found out my school was not the only one doing it. I ended up not paying, so everything is honky dory with that. :)

This time I have a question in the topic title and I am interested in other people's experience/opinion.

I have just learned that the school/principal is basically skimming my salary, pocketing 10% for himself or for other purposes, OGK (only god knows) what.

I have a Thai friend at the Ministry of Education who looked up my school and turns out that the government allocates 10% more than I am actually getting as salary, which is pretty effed up, I think. In my world it is called stealing, although there might be other factors that I do not know about, or it is just one of those Thai things, and it is normal for a school to do so.

Of course it would be difficult to prove it, since I would need some kind of official document, but I was thinking about confronting the principal with this issue just to see the reaction.

What would you do in my position? Does any of you have similar experience?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You've signed a contract, stating a certain salary, right? I don't think that your fiend at the MoE has got all the information of all schools here.

You'll never be successful to "confront" the director with anything you don't like, you're only asking for the usual "Bai Gai Gai reaction".

Best of luck !!! -thumbsup.gif

You've signed a contract, stating a certain salary, right? I don't think that your fiend at the MoE has got all the information of all schools here.

You'll never be successful to "confront" the director with anything you don't like, you're only asking for the usual "Bai Gai Gai reaction".

thx for the reply lostinisaan.

yes, indeed I did. What does it have to do with the illegal/unlawful practice of the school? My friend has most of the info and what he sees is that for the English teacher salary line the allocated money is 10% more. It is not something I do not like, it is something I have just found out, I definitely do not dig it, but that is beside the point now.

Maybe I could say that I want a new contract or they could give me that extra as a monthly housing allowance, since it is " my money".

I briefly covered at a school for a month because a Thai friend of mine knew the director. She said the parents had asked for native-English speaking teachers. The parents whose kids went to English class would fit the bill. Apparently they had a budget of 160k a month for 4 teachers. That would be 40k per teacher for salary. The director decided he would simply employ two teachers, put classes together and he'd pocket the difference. The difference being 80k.

There's no concept of grotesque greed with some people. Schools here are businesses first. Education comes way down the line.

yes, indeed I did. What does it have to do with the illegal/unlawful practice of the school? My friend has most of the info and what he sees is that for the English teacher salary line the allocated money is 10% more. It is not something I do not like, it is something I have just found out, I definitely do not dig it, but that is beside the point now.

Maybe I could say that I want a new contract or they could give me that extra as a monthly housing allowance, since it is " my money".

Gather the evidence which supports your allegation(s) of "illegal/unlawful practice at the school" and lodge a complaint/report with the Police.

Maybe it goes to pay the social insurance contributions?

Or some provision for overheads, such as sorting out your work permit and visa?

Unless you have proof that the money is heading directly into the pocket of the principal, I would ease up on the accusations of theft.

It's not your money.

Where did you get such an arrogant idea?

Here is a different twist to the above...but in a similar vein......

School employs an agency to find four English teachers........School Director allocates 4 x 40k salaries per teacher per month from the school budget following approval from fellow directors

Agency advertises and locates the teachers...teachers take up the four positions on 32k per month....

Agency invoices the school each month 40k per teacher x 4....school pays agency 40k per teacher x 4.....agency pays the teachers 32k each........ Agency then backhands (direct into the school directors personal bank a/c 25k).... Agency retains the balance as "fee's" 7k........

Admin/Finance Dept in the school is none the wiser....everything "appears" to be correct......

An actual case in a school in Bangkok...probably happening in other schools elsewhere.....

I'm living here since 15, teaching in my 12th year.

All school directors at bigger schools are so corrupt that the 200 baht cops look like clowns, compared to them.

Such a position is never "earned thru education", the going rate for a "director of a bigger and well known high school" is between three and seven + million baht.

There'e always meetings with the parents, a new meeting hall, a swimming pool, or anything else is urgently needed, but they don't have enough money.

Parents are told to "help" the school a little bit to be able to offer a better education for their kids. Nobody wants to lose face and many parents pay.

Money for new computers might arrive, but only some of it will be actually used to buy PC's.

The agencies fight to get a contract with a bigger school and pay a lot of money to the director who's changing the agencies every year.

The kickbacks are getting bigger and bigger and if that continues, agencies will be bankrupt.

Directors of schools give a flying kangaroo shiatt " about the students' education.

And then you've got a newbie who thinks he can sue a director to have a higher salary? Gotta be kidding.

Again, you've signed a contract and regardless what a friend's telling you, it means nothing. Absolutely nothing.

If you've got the feeling that they rip you off, look for another job. But you do not seem to understand that you've got no rights here.

Best of luck.

It's Not you're money you have signed for the money you get now ,,,you should have negotiated you're salary first an than if you think it was ok than sign,,,,You can do that with you're next contract,,, you can't change you're existing contract,,,

It's not your money.

you are right, it is not my money officially, but more "mine" than yours or anybody else's. Thanks for judging me as an arrogant mofo, that is what I am and that is why I have such an arrogant idea, this is not the first and not the lost time. your input was not much of value but I do appreciate anyway

You never put up a security deposit as a teacher, if a school has asked you to do that, they are probably skimming, or pocketing some of the allowance they have to pay you. I taught for almost 6 years in Thailand at many different schools. They do not ask for money, they pay you money.

Why would you ever give a school a deposit???

I am now teaching in Cambodia where the students all speak and write English, more than and better than any student I ever met or taught in Thailand, here they are sincerely interested in learning.

Principals and teachers skim the commissions paid for recruiting Filipino English (American) teachers. I suspect they skim anything they can get their greedy hands on. They are up with the best when it comes to skimming and we know who the best are don't we.

thanks for everybody's 0.71 baht (2 cents, that is), I am aware of my situation and I cannot do too much to change it, too bad that I have just found out, had I known earlier I would have negotiated a higher salary or would not have renewed my contract. just wanted to know your thoughts/ideas.

you all have a nice evening!

...not verified but been told that:

.....'The average school is given anywhere between 55,000-75,000 per month per Native English Speaker teacher'....

...That is why so many eager/greedy (?) Thai teachers love to 'head' The English Department....***

*** ...nothing to do with higher values....or students improving themselves....

...apparently they can do as they very well please....as you may have noticed....

...they may require a signature from a higher up in the institution...but....not a problem .for obvious reasons one might guess...

School employs an agency to find four English teachers........School Director allocates 4 x 40k salaries per teacher per month from the school budget following approval from fellow directors

Agency advertises and locates the teachers...teachers take up the four positions on 32k per month....

Agency invoices the school each month 40k per teacher x 4....school pays agency 40k per teacher x 4.....agency pays the teachers 32k each........ Agency then backhands (direct into the school directors personal bank a/c 25k).... Agency retains the balance as "fee's" 7k........

Admin/Finance Dept in the school is none the wiser....everything "appears" to be correct......

An actual case in a school in Bangkok...probably happening in other schools elsewhere.....

Same, same , no different for many contracts, not just employment.

It's not your money.

you are right, it is not my money officially, but more "mine" than yours or anybody else's. Thanks for judging me as an arrogant mofo, that is what I am and that is why I have such an arrogant idea, this is not the first and not the lost time. your input was not much of value but I do appreciate anyway

Yeah, and as a Serbian (with English not being my native language) I have noticed you made a crapload of mistakes, starting with the thread title and continuing ruthlessly throughout your rant.

You should be happy to be employed at all.

P.S. please spare me this being a forum hence your laziness to type in proper English.

Ciao

Back in '95-'96 school year a friend of mine worked at a famous international school in Taiwan and made $US 80K. He had only 16 students in that class and the tuition was around $US 10K per student. He felt a bit guilty that he got 50% of the tuition as my salary. If you consider the benefits, it was more than 50%.

Then he came to Thailand and made about $US 30K in '96-'97... and about $US 19K in '97-'98 due to the exchange rate after the financial crisis. He retired a few years after that.

He is grateful to be out of the education game.

That's exactly what happens. But be warned a certain TV expert will tell you are wrong. Tell you to get off your bar stool. He knows Thailand and it's education system. He even admits to hitting a problem student just like a Thai teacher.

Yeah, and as a Serbian (with English not being my native language) I have noticed you made a crapload of mistakes, starting with the thread title and continuing ruthlessly throughout your rant.

P.S. please spare me this being a forum hence your laziness to type in proper English.

Ciao

you seem like a nice fella, guyfromanotherforum. As I enjoy learning from everybody and you have pointed out my crapload (sic!) of mistakes please educate me, you appear to be a omniscient chap, so if you have some time please be kind and elaborate upon my mistakes. I feel embarrassed that I have offended your Serbian ego this way with my "ruthless rant".

I briefly covered at a school for a month because a Thai friend of mine knew the director. She said the parents had asked for native-English speaking teachers. The parents whose kids went to English class would fit the bill. Apparently they had a budget of 160k a month for 4 teachers. That would be 40k per teacher for salary. The director decided he would simply employ two teachers, put classes together and he'd pocket the difference. The difference being 80k.

There's no concept of grotesque greed with some people. Schools here are businesses first. Education comes way down the line.

T.I.T. its the kids who suffer

Ciao

as a German (with English not being my native language) [sic] i have noticed you criticised the OP's thread title because you think he put the apostrophe after the "s" in teachers.

well... you are wrong and he is right because he referred to "teachers" (plural) tongue.png

Im little confused. Are you getting you salary as stated in your contract? If yes then all is good. If not then change school if unhappy. If the director is stealing from school and you confront him then i guarantee youre going to be unhappy...

It's not your money.

You should not try to let others wire you up so easily.

It's clear to see that's what happened when you read a response you didn't agree with,

as your vocabulary went south.

You asked a question, or posted an issue to be more exact...

did you expect everyone would side with you,

and pat you up with their response?

The easiest way to put this, is spend less time complaining about what you don't get,

and put more time working towards getting what you want,

through hard work @ your school.

With the info your so called friend gave to you,

and I say this, because if you try to put this info forward,

your friend will surely deny all of it, to save his / her position,

but anyway, you think there's more money there in the budget than what you signed your contract for,

and agreed to work with as your salary.

Now at least you know that if your job is done well,

and your appreciated, the money could come your way,

once you are up for a renewal on your contract.

Easy, to understand; I hope...?

Ciao

as a German (with English not being my native language) [sic] i have noticed you criticised the OP's thread title because you think he put the apostrophe after the "s" in teachers.

well... you are wrong and he is right because he referred to "teachers" (plural) tongue.png

Let's toss the "grammar ball" from member to member and be happy about it. We're all wrong from time to time. facepalm.gif

Ciao

Let's toss the "grammar ball" from member to member and be happy about it. We're all wrong from time to time. facepalm.gif

insulting people for alleged grammar mistakes is not gentleman like!

Archived