are schools skimming teachers' salaries?

If you do not understand this corruption is deeply entrenched in schools as well as all government positions, you have missed the boat.

I think you overstate the situation. That's all. The big money isn't in schools. New buildings and paving contracts and those sort of big ticket items, maybe. Even then, I have my doubts. Nickle and dimes at the canteen, well I just have difficulty seeing a Director personally involved daily. I don't doubt your story, just would not think it's common practice. Easier as I say to require key money and monthly stipends. The teachers I know(Thai) are generally hard working and dedicated. Where they get their nice cars on "my salary is less than yours" I don't know. Perhaps wealthy spouses?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you do not understand this corruption is deeply entrenched in schools as well as all government positions, you have missed the boat.

I think you overstate the situation. That's all. The big money isn't in schools. New buildings and paving contracts and those sort of big ticket items, maybe. Even then, I have my doubts. Nickle and dimes at the canteen, well I just have difficulty seeing a Director personally involved daily. I don't doubt your story, just would not think it's common practice. Easier as I say to require key money and monthly stipends. The teachers I know(Thai) are generally hard working and dedicated. Where they get their nice cars on "my salary is less than yours" I don't know. Perhaps wealthy spouses?

I think you have the prettiest shade of rose colored glasses I have ever come across. I am not sure how long you have been involved in the Thai school system (government schools) but you are missing a lot. I have been around the block a few times in a few different locales and having become close to several teachers, it became apparent something was amiss. I have been told in confidence that to get a teaching job in a popular school for example may take a payment of up to $300,000 baht. This is from a Thai teacher directly. And as far as Thai teachers being hard working...yes that is true...but considering they do an average of 10 to 14 contact hours compared to the average NES load of 20 to 22 hours...I hardly see how difficult that is. Yes they spend a lot of time in school doing a lot of BS stuff...making posters, having singing contests....etc etc. But their teaching load is very light. Take off the glasses my friend....you aren't married to a teacher are you ?

I think you have the prettiest shade of rose colored glasses I have ever come across. I am not sure how long you have been involved in the Thai school system (government schools) but you are missing a lot. I have been around the block a few times in a few different locales and having become close to several teachers, it became apparent something was amiss. I have been told in confidence that to get a teaching job in a popular school for example may take a payment of up to $300,000 baht. This is from a Thai teacher directly. And as far as Thai teachers being hard working...yes that is true...but considering they do an average of 10 to 14 contact hours compared to the average NES load of 20 to 22 hours...I hardly see how difficult that is. Yes they spend a lot of time in school doing a lot of BS stuff...making posters, having singing contests....etc etc. But their teaching load is very light. Take off the glasses my friend....you aren't married to a teacher are you ?

We are back to my question of how the money transfers....which was never even guessed at...So please give us your opinion how 300,000.Baht would first, be saved by a teacher on their meager salary, and second, be transferred to a Director of a popular school. These are as usual, just internet or water fountain chit chat. Even pillow talk is more trustworthy. No lady is going to give her dowry paid by some 60 year old farang to a school Director.

We are back to my question of how the money transfers....which was never even guessed at...So please give us your opinion how 300,000.Baht would first, be saved by a teacher on their meager salary, and second, be transferred to a Director of a popular school. These are as usual, just internet or water fountain chit chat. Even pillow talk is more trustworthy. No lady is going to give her dowry paid by some 60 year old farang to a school Director.

For god's sake what kind of utter megalomaniac perception do you have of Thai teachers of Thai people for that matter. Thai teacher can't have land, real estate assets, relatives with money according to you? Then, <deleted> do you imply with 'No lady is going to give her dowry paid by some 60 year old farang to a school Director.'?

I give up. In a country rife with corruption, there are those that refuse to believe that one of the largest institutions, the educational system can participate in any way. I would guess you also believe the police area clean also, what about the bribes many here pay to Immigration ? Just more internet innuendo ? As I said I give up....the system stinks to high heaven which is why this will be my final year teaching...just too much crap and graft for my tastes.

Well, like a prison, an airport, or a sports venue; when you have a "hostage" group, someone will figure out a way to maximise profits/get kickbacks/collect pouring rights on every item imaginable. They've even built sports stadiums by charging millions for the right to be the exclusive seller of beer or soda...even the US Government does this at national parks...In prison, even a match striker has a price...

For god's sake what kind of utter megalomaniac perception do you have of Thai teachers of Thai people for that matter. Thai teacher can't have land, real estate assets, relatives with money according to you? Then, <deleted> do you imply with 'No lady is going to give her dowry paid by some 60 year old farang to a school Director.'?

Bruce, I really believe that your statement is just insane. My ex- neighbor and since 15 years also good friend was a high school teacher, but is now retired.

She commuted three hours a day and finally went to our biggest high school that also deals with agencies for foreign teachers.

"Saved by a teacher?" I start to question if you're really teaching in Thailand. Thai teachers have their own banks in all provinces and it's easy to get a one million baht credit. Most teachers that age own some property which is security.

"Meager salary?" The ones I know over 55 are all on very good money. Between 50 and 70 K/month. Bigger schools usually push them up make them to the head of the EP, or similar to "help them" to have a higher income when retired.

The usually so calm woman became so furious when they told her to come back with 500 K in a white envelope ( even colors of the envelope count, not just on shirts), make an appointment with the director and give the envelope together with her application form straight to the boss.

She had only four more years to go and decided to continue commuting. Your last sentence really hurt.

How can you make such a statement on an open forum that might be read by foreigners who're married to older teachers and even some Thai teachers read this and another forum from time to time.

BTW< they retire in the age of 60. I can proof each and every word, can you? Such a forum should be conversational and not some out of the blue theories that are not even proof able. .

Your last sentence really hurt.

How can you make such a statement on an open forum that might be read by foreigners who're married to older teachers and even some Thai teachers read this and another forum from time to time.

I said and posted, that no call it 24 year old recently graduated teacher is going to take the fools money aka dowry of some 300,000.Baht and give it to a School Director to secure a position in a popular or "good" school. These farangs who come in here and "marry" young Thai women thinking it's love etc., well so be it, but as I repeat now for the third time, she just isn't going to hand that money over. She's only got a few years of "marketability" before as you said, she's now "old" and has to rely on herself, not the idiot 60 year old farang lusting for her. Seen it a dozen times in my own little circle. Sure it goes on nationwide. Clear now? Hope so. Have a nice day. Wai Ku.

Bruce, I really believe that your statement is just insane. My ex- neighbor and since 15 years also good friend was a high school teacher, but is now retired.

She commuted three hours a day and finally went to our biggest high school that also deals with agencies for foreign teachers.

"Saved by a teacher?" I start to question if you're really teaching in Thailand. Thai teachers have their own banks in all provinces and it's easy to get a one million baht credit. Most teachers that age own some property which is security.

"Meager salary?" The ones I know over 55 are all on very good money. Between 50 and 70 K/month. Bigger schools usually push them up make them to the head of the EP, or similar to "help them" to have a higher income when retired.

The usually so calm woman became so furious when they told her to come back with 500 K in a white envelope ( even colors of the envelope count, not just on shirts), make an appointment with the director and give the envelope together with her application form straight to the boss.

She had only four more years to go and decided to continue commuting. Your last sentence really hurt.

BTW< they retire in the age of 60. I can proof each and every word, can you? Such a forum should be conversational and not some out of the blue theories that are not even proof able. .

No offence but

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Quote:

"BTW< they retire (in) the age of 60. I can (proof) each and every word, can you? Such a forum should be conversational and not some out of the blue theories that are not even (proof able). ."

Your last sentence really hurt.

I said and posted, that no call it 24 year old recently graduated teacher is going to take the fools money aka dowry of some 300,000.Baht and give it to a School Director to secure a position in a popular or "good" school. These farangs who come in here and "marry" young Thai women thinking it's love etc., well so be it, but as I repeat now for the third time, she just isn't going to hand that money over. She's only got a few years of "marketability" before as you said, she's now "old" and has to rely on herself, not the idiot 60 year old farang lusting for her. Seen it a dozen times in my own little circle. Sure it goes on nationwide. Clear now? Hope so. Have a nice day. Wai Ku.

I think I agree with you on something.

I haven't seen it in my circle though. That's probably because I'm not a bottom feeder.

You are so full of hate for everything related to teaching. The guy in Orlando was also like you - full of hate for everything.

Archived