New Hotel In Chiang Mai

Dustoff

~

Why is the pinned "Hotels in Chiang Mai" listing closed and has no infortmation?

Anyway, the relatively new "Mini Cost Hotel" behind the Montri Hotel at Tha Phae Gate:

:o

I called yesterday and made a reservation for today with an Australian guy who is obviously the co-owner and calls himself "Lorry" (sp?)

I called again today around noon to confirm and the person I spoke to could not find any reservation in my name (Lorry was not available) but made another one for me.

I called again mid-afternoon to let them know I was coming and Lorry advised that "we are booked up".

When I reminded him that I had made a reservation twice in two days, he basically told me, "Its high season, ain't it. While our reservation system may not be working for you, our hotel is fully booked" and hung up on me.

In other words bugger off, first come wit da money gonna get da rooms, screw reservations.

My advice is to avoid "Mini Cost Hotel" at ANY cost...

Oh, and they are not any cheaper than many of the other low cost hotels and guest houses. The name is a gimmick, not necessarily a fact.

Speaking of hotels; someone told me that the Chedi Hotel complex has been completed. So is that the way it's "supposed" to look? Looks kind of like a prison from the outside, and all this time I thought that was the wall hiding the construction work going on inside.

...and I thought it was only me.....

The facade of that place looks like a rusty sided old steel type barn or warehouse.....

and brudder the prices ain't cheap.....

maybe a name change would be in order.... How about "Attica East"... at those prices being held hostage would be cheaper....

Speaking of hotels; someone told me that the Chedi Hotel complex has been completed. So is that the way it's "supposed" to look? Looks kind of like a prison from the outside, and all this time I thought that was the wall hiding the construction work going on inside.

Yeah..its a bit stark...noticed it on last trip.Looks like an old Khmer Mon-strosity.. :o

Hows the new one opposite the Dun 2 wan coming on?..& any idea ...wots it called?

...and I thought it was only me.....

The facade of that place looks like a rusty sided old steel type barn or warehouse.....

and brudder the prices ain't cheap.....

maybe a name change would be in order.... How about "Attica East"... at those prices being held hostage would be cheaper....

Must agree! :o

The Chedi is an abomination. Period.

How come they are also building TALL hotels again..I thought that you could not build above 5 -8 storeys in the City?

The new one going up behind the Night Market is TALL. The new Shangrila would seem to be conforming..but the other one sure is not.

I thought the last Tall one..the "Doyouwantmydung" was to be the last...and that was only becuase it was built by the last ever "Prince" of Chiangmai..who could do virtually as he pleased.

So whats the crack with this other "Tall one"?

:o

That's exactly what my husband said.

Also in the last few years building regulations seem to have been completely flouted (even if they do still exist). It seems to be anything goes. You only have to look down some of the even very narrow sois to see buildings of sometimes around 10 storeys! The new hotel opposite the duangtawan is apparently going to be one storey higher.

A fully functional top end hotel and spa, open for all at 12,000 baht a night starting price!!!

Well, perhaps not when you consider the extra cost of leathers, chains, handcuffs and whips... :o

Oh Sorry,,,, in your OP you said "hotel", I see now that you meant "Health Resort"

:D:D

The Chedi was completed well over a year ago. Then the floods came in August (2005) and as they were flooded out they shut down for repairs.

They reopened earlier this year.

As for the "aesthetics" from the road I think that guests would be more concerned with the quality of the rooms, quality of the service and the view from the rooms (those that have a view)

As for the "aesthetics" from the road I think that guests would be more concerned with the quality of the rooms, quality of the service and the view from the rooms (those that have a view)

For the price that they are paying, even the employees toilets beter look good! :o

The inside certainly looks better than the outside, I agree. But a development of that size should also focus on something that is aesthetically pleasing from the outside and fits in with its environment.

People have to drive and walk past every day, for many (the vast majority of the population) the outside is all they will see. It should be something that looks a vast amount nicer than what is there at present. It is a just a big box that looks in need of some new wood stain.

While the outside may be stark and uninviting, the insides are beautiful! Quiet, relaxing lounges, a lovely, although somewhat narrow swimming pool, rooms with beautiful views of the river as well as the garden being built around the old British Consulate which has been turned into a nice bar and restaurant. The Indian foods served there are well made, nicely presented with excellent service, and of good portion size. In fact, the service all through the Chedi was fast and unobtrusive.

The prices may be a bit steep for some, but you do get what you pay for. As for the outside looks.... well, perhaps thats only a problem for those who have to remain outside. I doubt that the Chedi management worries to much about them. When you go to a hotel, isn't it the inside comforts and the service that are of more value than the exterior design?

The Fly Fisherman

While the outside may be stark and uninviting, the insides are beautiful! Quiet, relaxing lounges, a lovely, although somewhat narrow swimming pool, rooms with beautiful views of the river as well as the garden being built around the old British Consulate which has been turned into a nice bar and restaurant. The Indian foods served there are well made, nicely presented with excellent service, and of good portion size. In fact, the service all through the Chedi was fast and unobtrusive.

The prices may be a bit steep for some, but you do get what you pay for. As for the outside looks.... well, perhaps thats only a problem for those who have to remain outside. I doubt that the Chedi management worries to much about them. When you go to a hotel, isn't it the inside comforts and the service that are of more value than the exterior design?

The Fly Fisherman

Clearly what such customers pay for is to be seated next to equally wealthy and pretentious people.

The Fly Fisherman

Clearly what such customers pay for is to be seated next to equally wealthy and pretentious people.

Well, if we were talking about The Penninsula in Hong Kong or Raffles in Singapore, I might agree with you (Both look magnificent from the outside BTW), but since the river view fron The Chedi is of a banana tree hung up on a bridge cassion and other flotsam in a mud brown stream I just can't buy your whole argument. I did some calculations and I could stay at the Chedi for about 2 1/2 years for what I paid for 17 rai on the river. Just seems like bad value to me.

There are many things I enjoy about Chiang Mai/ Mae Rim, but the architectural standards here are not among them.

The Fly Fisherman

Wealthy they must be, but why do you assume that they are pretentious? Or are all people who stay at expensive hotels pretentious? Do you have valid reasoning behind calling them as such?

There must be a LOT of pretentious folks around, as they've just opened 4-5 hotels large just in Chiang Mai in the same price range. I have a feeling there are more of these hotels in other areas as well. On the other hand, they've opened more bars filled with lots of inexpensive bar girls on Loi Khroh too. If you wish, (not meaning you personally, of course, ) you can sit next to people who have to buy their friends. Balance in all things. :o

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

Wealthy they must be, but why do you assume that they are pretentious? Or are all people who stay at expensive hotels pretentious? Do you have valid reasoning behind calling them as such?

There must be a LOT of pretentious folks around, as they've just opened 4-5 hotels large just in Chiang Mai in the same price range. I have a feeling there are more of these hotels in other areas as well. On the other hand, they've opened more bars filled with lots of inexpensive bar girls on Loi Khroh too. If you wish, (not meaning you personally, of course, ) you can sit next to people who have to buy their friends. Balance in all things. :o

The Fly Fisherman

Ask any one of them, and they will tell you, "Yes, I have been to Chiangmai!", when asked what did you do? They reply, "Well I went to the lobby bar, I went swimming and I bought gifts at the gift shop!"

They know as much about the country they visit as most of the embassy consular officers know about the country they are stationed! They never leave their 5 star comfort zone..........

I think the point is that when a development has a massive amount of money to spend, there should be some kind of accountability to produce something that looks pleasant and if possible fits in with the environment.

I know Chiang Mai has a serious lack of planning / design laws but the town doesn't need a big boring , in need of paint, concrete box for its populace to look at in passing every day.

I know it must be wonderful if you have to spend so much money to stay there :o:D

but personally I think its only hope is for those trees to grow up and hide the eyesore.

Personally design wise I would say the Rachamankha would be hard to beat.

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

I do not find all wealthy people pretentious, although many are. But sorry, I did find your description of this particular hotel to be reeking of pretentiousness, something worthy of a kite flyer more than a fly fisherman.

I do not believe wealthy people have a monopoly on pretentiousness and I am sure I could find many equally pretentious people at the bars along Loi Khroh. However, I fail to see the connection as my experience would indicate that wealth is not a factor relative to the need of many to purchase short-time satisfaction.

Edited by Johpa

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

Ask any one of them, and they will tell you, "Yes, I have been to Chiangmai!", when asked what did you do? They reply, "Well I went to the lobby bar, I went swimming and I bought gifts at the gift shop!"

They know as much about the country they visit as most of the embassy consular officers know about the country they are stationed! They never leave their 5 star comfort zone..........

It seems to be what they want to do. How does this differ from people staying in expensive hotels anywhere in the world. For many people, the concept 'vacation,' means sitting around a nice pool, exercising in a chrome, mirror,and steel fitness center, and perhaps playing a round of golf, relaxing in the bar and listening to a quiet band at night, and never noticing nor caring about the culture that they are in.

Personally, I find that a bit silly to spend so much, but I guess they don't. For that matter, I find staying in a hotel that costs a hundred bucks a night silly, much less $800 - $1,000, but I guess they don't. Does this make them pretentious, foolish, or just rich enough not to care about the prices? I use a hotel room as a place to sleep at night while I explore the offerings of the region. They use the room as a place to sleep while they enjoy the offerings of the hotel or resort. "Club Meds" can be found all over the world, and pride their resorts as a place where guests never have to leave the grounds to do all the things they wish to do. So why go to Aruba, or Rio, or Malaysia to a Club Med? To me, it's silly. To those guests, it isn't.

Perhaps we travel for a different reason and have different criteria for our vacations than they do.

Why call them names just because they can afford to do what they wish to do, without breaking the laws or endangering the safety of others?

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

I do not find all wealthy people pretentious, although many are. But sorry, I did find your description of this particular hotel to be reeking of pretentiousness, something worthy of a kite flyer more than a fly fisherman.

I do not believe wealthy people have a monopoly on pretentiousness and I am sure I could find many equally pretentious people at the bars along Loi Khroh. However, I fail to see the connection as my experience would indicate that wealth is not a factor relative to the need of many to purchase short-time satisfaction.

Excuse me John, but I still don't see your definition of pretention anywhere in your post. What is it that makes you call this place pretentious? If not the prices, was it the good food well presented or the good quality service?

You seem to put kite flying as pretentious and fly fishing as not. Wouldn't this make Malaysian culture, Japanese culture and Balinese cultures pretentious in your judgement? In all three, kite flying plays a major part of their heritage. Why do you judge others at all?

The Fly Fisherman

As for the outside looks.... well, perhaps thats only a problem for those who have to remain outside. I doubt that the Chedi management worries to much about them.

I think this is the sentence most people have a problem with.

It implies to disregard environmental planning and aesthetics is perfectly acceptable.

~

As the originator of this thread, may I say:

:D

I originally posted what I hoped would be helpful advice about a local Chiang Mai Hotel and asked why the pinned list of hotel recommendations had been closed.

Now I understand.

Perhaps a few of you could look up the word "pretentious" and see if it applies to you...?

Nah.. just wishful thinking... :o

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

Excuse me John, but I still don't see your definition of pretention anywhere in your post. What is it that makes you call this place pretentious? If not the prices, was it the good food well presented or the good quality service?

You seem to put kite flying as pretentious and fly fishing as not. Wouldn't this make Malaysian culture, Japanese culture and Balinese cultures pretentious in your judgement? In all three, kite flying plays a major part of their heritage. Why do you judge others at all?

The Fly Fisherman

I could not resist giving my opinion on this topic, although it is a bit off-topic.

I don't have a problem with people paying that kind of money (to be in an environment that they could easily find at home --ironically), but I do have a problem with the way thé great majority of them appropriated the funds to do so. While the wealthy of this world would make us believe that they achieved success by making huge sacrifices, making extraordinarily intelligent decisions, and working harder, the preponderance of evidence shows that they are not any smarter, any more industrious, any wiser than the 90% of the people representing the masses of people who cannot afford this lifestyle (assuming that this is what we should all strive for, of course). We know that the wealthy of this world did it by exploiting others or situations illegally and/or unethically and/or living of the estates that their family passed on to them. Research by Linda McCuaig of Canada --and others-- does point out that wealthy families of today are issue from families which appropriated capital or land in the past by luck or by deviant (illegal, unethical) means. The rest gained their wealth by other means like the Kennedies (and countless others) during prohibition and so on. Of course, this does happen today and will as the wealthy can pay lobbyists and buy people to maintain the status quo. Our democracies are oligarchies of a few wealthy people or corporations, financed --ironically-- by the a good number of the 90% of us who have a pension plan of some sort, although we know that many people don't. Maybe those wealthy pretentious people should be less dysfunctional and giver some of their money to the less fortunate in our society and ... live in more normal places.

My 2 cents ...

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

It seems to be what they want to do. How does this differ from people staying in expensive hotels anywhere in the world. For many people, the concept 'vacation,' means sitting around a nice pool, exercising in a chrome, mirror,and steel fitness center, and perhaps playing a round of golf, relaxing in the bar and listening to a quiet band at night, and never noticing nor caring about the culture that they are in.

Personally, I find that a bit silly to spend so much, but I guess they don't. For that matter, I find staying in a hotel that costs a hundred bucks a night silly, much less $800 - $1,000, but I guess they don't. Does this make them pretentious, foolish, or just rich enough not to care about the prices? I use a hotel room as a place to sleep at night while I explore the offerings of the region. They use the room as a place to sleep while they enjoy the offerings of the hotel or resort. "Club Meds" can be found all over the world, and pride their resorts as a place where guests never have to leave the grounds to do all the things they wish to do. So why go to Aruba, or Rio, or Malaysia to a Club Med? To me, it's silly. To those guests, it isn't.

Perhaps we travel for a different reason and have different criteria for our vacations than they do.

Why call them names just because they can afford to do what they wish to do, without breaking the laws or endangering the safety of others?

The Fly Fisherman

I tend to agree. It is entirely up to the individual as to how they want to spend their money.

I remember not too long ago there was a guy in Chiangmai who was stone motherless drunk everyday by 10.00 He didn't see too much of the local culture through his foggy eyes. But it was his money.

Drank himself to death I think.

Must be something to do with the name Andy perhaps.

Frankly (and it sounds as if I am in the minority) I don't find the Chedi all that bad. I have seen a lot worse.

Edited by john b good

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

The Fly Fisherman

I tend to agree. It is entirely up to the individual as to how they want to spend their money.

I remember not too long ago there was a guy in Chiangmai who was stone motherless drunk everyday by 10.00 He didn't see too much of the local culture through his foggy eyes. But it was his money.

Drank himself to death I think.

Must be something to do with the name Andy perhaps.

Frankly (and it sounds as if I am in the minority) I don't find the Chedi all that bad. I have seen a lot worse.

I doubt that you are in the minority. But people in general won't enter into debate when the other people in the debate resort to calling names, disparaging, or denigration of the posters they disagree with.

Commonly throughout the various electronic forums, you hear far more negitive relplies and attacks on the poster than positive critiques of the issue being discussed. One Chiang Mai resident says "It's not Usenet, it's a combat zone." Unfortunately, observation tends to bear this out.

The Fly Fisherman