From Windows 7 to Windows 10...and back again

lungbing

I downloaded the program from MS that checked my machine against the required spec and said it was compatible with Windows 10, so I downloaded it.

Windows 10 took well over an hour to download and then started to install. It took about 40 minutes to install and it went well, with no obvious problems. My printer/scanner worked fine, and so did my sound.and USB ports. All my user files were exactly where they should be and all my installed programs were still installed and appeared to work fine.

I used it for a couple of days without problem, then noticed the screen resolution wasn't quite right. But I couldn't adjust it to the one I wanted because my Nvidia graphics card and my nearly new Acer monitor were not recognised by Windows 10 and it had installed basic drivers for generic versions.

i thought about it and Windows 10 was OK, but there was nothing that compelled me towards it so I decided to drop back to Win7. A couple of clicks and less than 10 minutes later and I was back on Win7 without a hitch.

All in all I can recommend the simplicity of the upgrade process and the reversion process if necessary, but Windows 10 just didn't suite me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could of just downloaded a graphics driver and fixed all that but i went back to 7 after 10 due to frequent crashes when watching movies and utube.

Ill try 10 again maybe next year when it has matured abit as it does have dx12 for gaming

Interesting , at the moment in OZ MS are updating everyone to 10 whether you like it or not, soon as you log on it will start updating 10 , lots still prefer 7, I have a mixture I updated about 18 months back , this is because the uptake on their free offer wasn't as good as expected and will go on till 21 June so the gurus say , then everyone will have to buy windows 10. Another concern is they are also upgrading everyone to outlook from Hotmail ,Mine was changed without any authority over on a Sat night, this has cause undue problems with people's mail , I lost any new names in my address book and got back ( would you believe ) address deleted 10 years ago , some have lost their address all together , the other day I got a historic society ( Which I am a member off ) address mixed in with my address book, I just tell u This in case they come to Thai ( I doubt it )

" this is because the uptake on their free offer wasn't as good as expected and will go on till 21 June so the gurus say , then everyone will have to buy windows 10."

I believe the cut off date for free Win-10 install is JULY 21, not June.

My laptop upgraded to Windows 10 without my consent about ten days ago. I was, to put it mildly, rather angry. My laptop had never missed a beat in over four years running Windows 7. I had decided that I was happy as things were, and didn't want to risk a change.

Anyway, everything seemed fine for the first week, and then one morning I turned it on and the start button for the live tiles just wasn't working. I googled the problem and tried every single remedy I could find online. Nothing worked. I even contacted an online engineer from Microsoft, who spent about two hours just trying everything I had done earlier. Again, nothing worked, even doing a system restore. In the end I had to set up a new user account, and I'm currently using that.

As I understand it, I have about another two and a half weeks to revert back to Windows 7, and it is good to know that the process is quick and simple.

" this is because the uptake on their free offer wasn't as good as expected and will go on till 21 June so the gurus say , then everyone will have to buy windows 10."

I believe the cut off date for free Win-10 install is JULY 21, not June.

300 million isn't enough for them!

http://venturebeat.com/2016/06/01/windows-10-adoption-passes-windows-7-on-steam/

I upgraded my Wife's HP Envy 20 Win 8.1 system to Win 10 a few weeks ago and it has been fine. Her system is a simple setup using OpenOffice. It is mostly used for internet browsing and watching YouTube etc so not a complicated deal and no issues with Win 10 noticed. ....so far.

My Win 7 Ultimate custom hardware system is another matter. I use Photoshop, SketchUp along with MS Office, video editing and many other apps. It also runs as a media server (Serviio) for the rest of the house. My background is in IT so it also has a few "bells and whistles".

An business owner "end user" friend of mine who uses a 2 year old high end (at the time) Acer Notebook with his most "taxing" apps being Microsoft Outlook, Picasa and Skype had issues with Outlook when he upgraded from Win 7. he went back to Win 7 as he wasn't prepared to move to GMail or Windows Live. Win 10 made a real shambles of his Outlook setup. I researched the issues and tried to resolve it but there wasn't any going back unless he was prepared to start fresh.

The above and other reports have made me petrified of moving to Win 10 so I've decided against it and will stay with WIn 7 for the foreseeable future.

you don't have to put up with ms win 10, there are consumer friendly alternatives:

https://linuxmint.com/

check it out.

With all due respect, Linux isnt consumer friendly to those with minimal tech knowledge. It's come a long way to be an out-of-box experience, but still requires a more than normal understanding.

There is a consumer friendly, easy, I just want to do simply stuff and not worry about under the hood OS, it's called OSX

Edited by Aussie69

I upgraded my Wife's HP Envy 20 Win 8.1 system to Win 10 a few weeks ago and it has been fine. Her system is a simple setup using OpenOffice. It is mostly used for internet browsing and watching YouTube etc so not a complicated deal and no issues with Win 10 noticed. ....so far.

My Win 7 Ultimate custom hardware system is another matter. I use Photoshop, SketchUp along with MS Office, video editing and many other apps. It also runs as a media server (Serviio) for the rest of the house. My background is in IT so it also has a few "bells and whistles".

An business owner "end user" friend of mine who uses a 2 year old high end (at the time) Acer Notebook with his most "taxing" apps being Microsoft Outlook, Picasa and Skype had issues with Outlook when he upgraded from Win 7. he went back to Win 7 as he wasn't prepared to move to GMail or Windows Live. Win 10 made a real shambles of his Outlook setup. I researched the issues and tried to resolve it but there wasn't any going back unless he was prepared to start fresh.

The above and other reports have made me petrified of moving to Win 10 so I've decided against it and will stay with WIn 7 for the foreseeable future.

I don't get this. It migrated my Office Pro 2013 without problem and I've since moved to 2016 and that's fine too. What was the 'shambles' exactly?

I don't get this. It migrated my Office Pro 2013 without problem and I've since moved to 2016 and that's fine too. What was the 'shambles' exactly?

I haven't used Outlook for years and hadn't previously looked after my friends Outlook setup but I still remember a little of how it works.

In this particular case the user had multiple named PSD (outlook data?) files and the migration appeared to create (or find) another with a default "Outlook" name. They all contained data and some of it seemed to be older archives. It messed up default send and receive "files" and I couldn't just alter the defaults.

I took a backup of the folder then copied in only two files we wanted to use and tried to adjust the settings accordingly. Obviously it didn't work and in the end I suggested he try GMail (or Windows Live). After spending a couple of weeks with GMail he decided he couldn't cope with the differences and wanted to return to Outlook so we did a restore back to 8.1.

My laptop upgraded to Windows 10 without my consent about ten days ago. I was, to put it mildly, rather angry. My laptop had never missed a beat in over four years running Windows 7. I had decided that I was happy as things were, and didn't want to risk a change.

Anyway, everything seemed fine for the first week, and then one morning I turned it on and the start button for the live tiles just wasn't working. I googled the problem and tried every single remedy I could find online. Nothing worked. I even contacted an online engineer from Microsoft, who spent about two hours just trying everything I had done earlier. Again, nothing worked, even doing a system restore. In the end I had to set up a new user account, and I'm currently using that.

As I understand it, I have about another two and a half weeks to revert back to Windows 7, and it is good to know that the process is quick and simple.

Please just wait and you'll get a whole new set up in form of an update, problem solved.

I had the same problem on one of the school computers and was really surprised when that happened. "Please don't switch your machine off", then a completely new set up without doing anything else than waiting, and all was fine.

There're some updates you'll receive sooner, or later from alone. Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 OS build 10586.318 ( Sorry, checked on my PC, as I'm already at home. )

Khun Chicog, please correct me if I'm wrong. Cheers-

Edited by lostinisaan

You could have simply added his GMail account into Outlook.

That's how I read my Outlook/Hotmail/GMail/Other accounts.

Yes, it was already there (or the other way around) with a redirection. Outlook was pretty messed up after the upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestion by the way. Appreciated. wai.gif

I don't blame him for not wanting to use Gmail or MS Live/Outlook email accounts using a browser. Viewing/writing/attaching/addressing/and just a whole variety of things when using an email account via browser is just a pain...seems cave man primitive. But if a person's email needs and the type of emails he deals with are light-duty then I guess it's OK.

I've used Outlook for around 20 years now between my former work and personal use. Basically using Outlook as the email client to access the my email accounts...basically turns the the gmail/live/outlook (whatever) servers into nothing more than a relay point/middle man...never have to log onto them via browser except maybe to make some settings change or just confirm I could still logon via browser.

I upgraded my Lenovo laptop to Win 10 from Win 8.1 on 29 Jul 15/day one of Win 10 official release and the upgrade was pretty much non-eventful...just 3 minor minor issues. One of those minor issues was with Outlook (running Office 365 which was Office 2013 at the time...now Office 2016) where when sending an email it wouldn't leave the out box. But running the Windows "sfc /scannow" command fixed that. After that Outlook was working perfecting again...all my Outlook data and email accounts worked fine. And late last year when Office 365 upgraded from Office 2013 to Office 2016 that went without a hitch.

But over the years in doing some OS upgrades I have had to go into the Outlook Account Settings to reenter the email accounts I want to access and change the folder setting to properly point to where your data file(s) are located. Heck, I probably have 20 years worth of data files I separated by year of email. I don't leave the data files in the Outlook default setting/location but in a specific folder that I created/can easily remember where it located...and I also name the data files myself versus letting Outlook give a generic With all the data files in that folder that you picked out a name for just link to your data file(s) and you are up and running again. But based on my experience when i was still working 9 out 10 Outlook users don't have a clue about how to set data file settings in Outlook. Or, divide data files up...like breaking them into yearly files and pretty much what ever you want to do. It's kinda like learning how to ride a bike... seems real hard at first but then one day you are riding the bike like a pro and wonder why it took so long to learn.

Personally I think that XP was the best ever, and it is sad that now Microsoft is doing everything for people to "upgrade" it....not supporting XP anymore. Option? Windows 7.. but not better than XP at all.

Interesting , at the moment in OZ MS are updating everyone to 10 whether you like it or not, soon as you log on it will start updating 10 , lots still prefer 7, I have a mixture I updated about 18 months back , this is because the uptake on their free offer wasn't as good as expected and will go on till 21 June so the gurus say , then everyone will have to buy windows 10. Another concern is they are also upgrading everyone to outlook from Hotmail ,Mine was changed without any authority over on a Sat night, this has cause undue problems with people's mail , I lost any new names in my address book and got back ( would you believe ) address deleted 10 years ago , some have lost their address all together , the other day I got a historic society ( Which I am a member off ) address mixed in with my address book, I just tell u This in case they come to Thai ( I doubt it )

"at the moment in OZ MS are updating everyone to 10 whether you like it or not,"

Wont happen if you switch off automatic updates.

I don't blame him for not wanting to use Gmail or MS Live/Outlook email accounts using a browser. Viewing/writing/attaching/addressing/and just a whole variety of things when using an email account via browser is just a pain...seems cave man primitive. But if a person's email needs and the type of emails he deals with are light-duty then I guess it's OK.

I've used Outlook for around 20 years now between my former work and personal use. Basically using Outlook as the email client to access the my email accounts...basically turns the the gmail/live/outlook (whatever) servers into nothing more than a relay point/middle man...never have to log onto them via browser except maybe to make some settings change or just confirm I could still logon via browser.

+1

I've used Mozilla's Thunderbird client for several years now. Before that I used the Opera browser's built-in e-mail client.

I'm not a big fan of cloud computing in general, partly because of the speed and reliability of Thai ISPs. When I was in the US recently for seven weeks, the speed/reliability of Time Warner's cable (DOCSIS) internet was *so* much better than what I've ever had in Thailand with True or 3BB/TTT in Bangkok, Pattaya or Hua Hin. Maybe if the speed of using web-based/cloud components was similar to using local clients I *might* be inclined to drift toward cloud computing?

Unfortunately, those that have upgraded to Win10 and since 'reverted' still have Win10 on the computer - and at any time in the future (post 21 July) MSoft can and will 'convert' your computer to Win10 whether you like it or not (in small print when you signed up). There are a lot of small print issues in the Win10 'offer' that no one reads but accepts - and that is how MSoft is getting away with all this as mentioned in this post, and many other things. I could go on and on and on about it, and I could state in detail how I tried Win10 and 'evaluated' it and why I re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed Win7 - but I wont (again). But I will say this (and this is someone that worked the industry for over 30 years):

• MSoft never gives anything away for free.
  • MSoft has a long term goal to have every PC using its OS to operate like IOS (Apple phones and PCs).
  • Windows10 gives MSoft control over how your PC operates and how they can update/amend your OS (just like Apple can for every IPhone/IPad).

For those that understand and wish to escape - I would advise you follow these steps (look up how on Internet first):

Reformat PC - re-install Winopws7 from scratch - back up all files/data/settings first.

Do not let Windows update your Win7 OS - re-install it onto PC without internet connected (disconnect Lan/Wifi etc).

Once Win7 reinstalled then reset windows updates to 'manual' only - do not install automatically (this is how they install Win10 - by stealth).

When everything done and all data re-stalled and system set up the way you want it, then connect internet and do a manual check for updates.

Only click on and install critical security updates - do not install any recommended updates.

Once they have all been installed - do it again - and again only install the critical security updates.

Once that has been done then you will have to check every update microsoft recommends - some are for system hardware/software, but many are for Win10.

You need to click on each one and then click on 'more information' - only then will you see which ones are for Win10 - such as this one:

Update installs Get Windows 10 app in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1

This update installs the Get Windows 10 app that helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Prerequisites section.

But others are not so obvious from the name of the update - such as this one:

Update for Universal C Runtime in Windows

This article describes an update for Universal C Runtime (CRT) in Windows. Before you install this update, see the prerequisites section. For more information, see Introducing the Universal CRT.

The Windows 10 Universal CRT is a Windows operating system component that enables CRT functionality on the Windows operating system. This update allows Windows desktop applications that depend on the Windows 10 Universal CRT release to run on earlier Windows operating systems.

And this one:

Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7

This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. These diagnostics help determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system.

PS - the 'latest Winodws operating system' is Win10.

I currently have over 10 windows 'recommended' updates that I have 'hidden' - and all of them either directly or indirectly allows Win10 to be installed on my computer (again). This has been going on for a long time - ever since Win10 was released. There are court cases going on in USA to try and stop this, but MSoft is holding back most of the complaints, because they are giving away Win10 for free - people signed the agreement to get it and have no right to complain because they didnt pay for it (smart eh?). But the Win7 and WinXP consumer advocates have had one win - they stopped MSoft from including Win10 'updates' in their 'critical' updates. BUT - let me assure you that as soon as there are enough people using Win10 then MSoft will force Win10 onto every PC they can - like it or not. MSoft dont want smart intelligent users of their OS who demand the ability to be able to tweak and change the OS settings to suit their own particular needs and system components - they want dumb ignorant (teenagers) who just accept that IOS is updated whenever Apple wants to and are happy that Apple controls their IPhone/IPad. Just like cars - some people just want their basic PC to work and dont care about being able to control it/fix it - others want to 'play' with it and make it better (and add new non-MSoft approved components).

When the larger business corporations and government organisations update to Win10, then I will be interested. Know any that have? I dont. Because they refuse to allow control over their PCs being given over to MSoft. They know how incomptetent and slow MSoft are getting things adjusted or changed - they want control themselves. MSoft are working though the issues related to giving 'accredited' organisations a version of Win10 that meets their organisational and corporate needs - that is the verions of Win10 that I will obtain and use on my PCs - in the future. Until then I use Win10 on my smartphone (works great but is short on Apps) - but I will not use it on my PCs.

I upgraded my computer to windows 10. I could not figure out anything even how to turn of

my computer. Within two hours I had uninstalled Windows 10. I was very happy. whistling.gif

Unfortunately, those that have upgraded to Win10 and since 'reverted' still have Win10 on the computer - and at any time in the future (post 21 July) MSoft can and will 'convert' your computer to Win10 whether you like it or not (in small print when you signed up). There are a lot of small print issues in the Win10 'offer' that no one reads but accepts - and that is how MSoft is getting away with all this as mentioned in this post, and many other things. I could go on and on and on about it, and I could state in detail how I tried Win10 and 'evaluated' it and why I re-formatted my hard drive and re-installed Win7 - but I wont (again). But I will say this (and this is someone that worked the industry for over 30 years):

• MSoft has a long term goal to have every PC using its OS to operate like IOS (Apple phones and PCs).
  • Windows10 gives MSoft control over how your PC operates and how they can update/amend your OS (just like Apple can for every IPhone/IPad).

For those that understand and wish to escape - I would advise you follow these steps (look up how on Internet first):

Reformat PC - re-install Winopws7 from scratch - back up all files/data/settings first.

Do not let Windows update your Win7 OS - re-install it onto PC without internet connected (disconnect Lan/Wifi etc).

Once Win7 reinstalled then reset windows updates to 'manual' only - do not install automatically (this is how they install Win10 - by stealth).

When everything done and all data re-stalled and system set up the way you want it, then connect internet and do a manual check for updates.

Only click on and install critical security updates - do not install any recommended updates.

Once they have all been installed - do it again - and again only install the critical security updates.

Once that has been done then you will have to check every update microsoft recommends - some are for system hardware/software, but many are for Win10.

You need to click on each one and then click on 'more information' - only then will you see which ones are for Win10 - such as this one:

This update installs the Get Windows 10 app that helps users understand their Windows 10 upgrade options and device readiness. For more information about Windows 10, see Prerequisites section.

This article describes an update for Universal C Runtime (CRT) in Windows. Before you install this update, see the prerequisites section. For more information, see Introducing the Universal CRT.

The Windows 10 Universal CRT is a Windows operating system component that enables CRT functionality on the Windows operating system. This update allows Windows desktop applications that depend on the Windows 10 Universal CRT release to run on earlier Windows operating systems.

And this one:

This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. These diagnostics help determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed. This update will help Microsoft and its partners ensure compatibility for customers who want to install the latest Windows operating system.

I currently have over 10 windows 'recommended' updates that I have 'hidden' - and all of them either directly or indirectly allows Win10 to be installed on my computer (again). This has been going on for a long time - ever since Win10 was released. There are court cases going on in USA to try and stop this, but MSoft is holding back most of the complaints, because they are giving away Win10 for free - people signed the agreement to get it and have no right to complain because they didnt pay for it (smart eh?). But the Win7 and WinXP consumer advocates have had one win - they stopped MSoft from including Win10 'updates' in their 'critical' updates. BUT - let me assure you that as soon as there are enough people using Win10 then MSoft will force Win10 onto every PC they can - like it or not. MSoft dont want smart intelligent users of their OS who demand the ability to be able to tweak and change the OS settings to suit their own particular needs and system components - they want dumb ignorant (teenagers) who just accept that IOS is updated whenever Apple wants to and are happy that Apple controls their IPhone/IPad. Just like cars - some people just want their basic PC to work and dont care about being able to control it/fix it - others want to 'play' with it and make it better (and add new non-MSoft approved components).

When the larger business corporations and government organisations update to Win10, then I will be interested. Know any that have? I dont. Because they refuse to allow control over their PCs being given over to MSoft. They know how incomptetent and slow MSoft are getting things adjusted or changed - they want control themselves. MSoft are working though the issues related to giving 'accredited' organisations a version of Win10 that meets their organisational and corporate needs - that is the verions of Win10 that I will obtain and use on my PCs - in the future. Until then I use Win10 on my smartphone (works great but is short on Apps) - but I will not use it on my PCs.

The red high lighted is kb 2952664 .Microsoft spyware that isn't included in win 7. Now when you go ( or are forced) to win10 and revert back , not only do win10 files stay on your drive , but you should check whether kb 2952664 is still there and uninstall.

2 members of my family had automatic updates OFF , still they too got the surprise win10 install.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2911609/operating-systems/kb-2952664-compatibility-update-for-win7-triggers-unexpected-daily-telemetry-run-may-be-snooping.html

Forget the "may be snooping" ... it's microsoft... there are snooping.

And this one:

The red high lighted is kb 2952664 .Microsoft spyware that isn't included in win 7. Now when you go ( or are forced) to win10 and revert back , not only do win10 files stay on your drive , but you should check whether kb 2952664 is still there and uninstall.

2 members of my family had automatic updates OFF , still they too got the surprise win10 install.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2911609/operating-systems/kb-2952664-compatibility-update-for-win7-triggers-unexpected-daily-telemetry-run-may-be-snooping.html

Forget the "may be snooping" ... it's microsoft... there are snooping.

Good point - but after reverting you should check each and every previously installed Optional and Recommended 'update' to see if any others allowed MSoft to install Win10. I tried and failed - and I resorted to re-install Win7 from scratch - and now I only install security updates or anything for a specific hardware component on my PC. I have seen on the net claims that even though you may uninstall an update with the Win10 'virus' included, it is still in the OS and it will 'rebuild' itself - maybe that is what happenned to me. Since the rebuild I have ignored the obvious 'danger' ones that I am aware of are - 2952664, 3035583, 3068708, 3118401, 3123862 (most of those were both presented as Optional and then as Recomended - so they are there in my updates twice). Plus I have several other ones that I am just very dubious about - they seem a bit 'iffy' so I didn't install them as I did not need them. I now read every update briefly by clicking on the info link - if it sounds dubious I do not install. PS works fine - and has does so since I rebuilt it from scratch.

http://betanews.com/2016/03/02/do-not-resist-windows-10/

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-upgrades-get-more-sneaky-pushy/

And now some people are not installing critical updates for fear Win10 will come with them - MSoft is just sheeiitte - anytime a decent OS comes out they will kill them off - slowly - I saw this behaviours before at Blackberry and Nokia - they are doomed if they dont change. No - Linux and Android do not cut it IMO (yet).http://www.pcworld.com/article/3075729/windows/fearing-forced-windows-10-upgrades-users-are-disabling-critical-updates-at-their-own-risk.html

you don't have to put up with ms win 10, there are consumer friendly alternatives:

https://linuxmint.com/

check it out.

Good choice! I use Mint on my everyday laptop but a couple of weeks ago I was forced to buy a Windows laptop for work purposes (I checked before anyone mentions Wine etc and my Win programs wouldn't work in Wine) . It came with a cracked version of Windows 8. Now that was a dog of an operating system. I happily upgraded to 10 but I'm thinking of upgrading to Windows 7. As far as I can remember, it was robust and far less invasive than 10.