Cooking Steak For A Thai Family

rank stranger

No one has mentioned that a lot (most?) Thai's do not eat beef and there might be a terminology issue here. If a Thai mentions "sausage" it refers to what we call a hot dog. If a Thai mentions "steak" that may imply a chicken or pork steak. Be extremely careful to understand this before hand because for many Thai's eating beef is seen as a bad thing and is something they have never done and don't want to do. Over the years dining with 100+ Thai's, I recall 2 that ordered beef and many, many saying they don't eat it!

I had a marinade in Hawaii many years ago that was soy sauce, ginger, and garlic....very good.The most interesting thing about it was the addition of slices of green papaya to the marinade.The enzymes in the papaya work as an incredible tenderizer.You must be careful as to the amount of papaya, and length of time it is allowed to do it's magic.If left too long it will become mushy.This really works ! I have read other recipes mentioning this( and on another note...read an article about papaya enzymes used to liquify spinal lumbar discs as an alternative to surgery !!!)

Edited by pumpuiman

I had a marinade in Hawaii many years ago that was soy sauce, ginger, and garlic....very good.The most interesting thing about it was the addition of slices of green papaya to the marinade.The enzymes in the papaya work as an incredible tenderizer.You must be careful as to the amount of papaya, and length of time it is allowed to do it's magic.If left too long it will become mushy.This really works ! I have read other recipes mentioning this( and on another note...read an article about papaya enzymes used to liquify spinal lumbar discs as an alternative to surgery !!!)

Kiwi fruit does the same thing.

Now here's about 10lb of aged kiwi beef that was given to me last week....

post-11672-1163657930_thumb.jpg

Coder the wife told me awhile back that most Thais do not eat beef because it is to expensive.Since they grewup without it by the time it is offered to them they just do not think it tastes good.I could understand why being that they want it WELL WELL done.

Pumpuiman being that the marinade was in Hawaaii I would think that it was Japenese in origian.If it had brown sugar and vinager added to it, it would be teriyaky sauce/marinade.Add corn or rice starch and simmer for a bit until thick and you have a teriyaky dipping sauce.The enzyme in papaya is a tenderizer.If you where to look at most commercial meat tenderizers they are made from the same enzyme.How I love food!!! :o

I've noticed that in Thailand folks like to deep fry cuts of meat that falangs would either grill, pan fry or roast, including pork ribs(???)

anyone else got the same observation?...and I realise that most thai households don't have ovens and wouldn't know what to do with one if they had...

I've noticed that in Thailand folks like to deep fry cuts of meat that falangs would either grill, pan fry or roast, including pork ribs(???)

anyone else got the same observation?...and I realise that most thai households don't have ovens and wouldn't know what to do with one if they had...

Yes I know what you mean.My wife will take strips of pork and marinate it in garlic and fish sauce.Then place out in the sun for a day to dry,then deep fry in oil.I really like it,a different take on jerky.We dip it in piknampla.A way that I like beef but the wife does not.You marinate the beef strips in fish sauce and sugar,then pat with crushed black pepper and corriander seeds and dry in an oven on low until dry.makes a great beef jerky. :o

You should have been here the day I brought a micro-wave home and showed the in-laws what it could do.

First English words they learned afterwards ....... "cook please" ..... actually, the English lessons finished with that :o

Order it from australia, the best beef in the world.

Sorry for the OT, but had to comment. Australian beef is amongst the worlds worst. I agree the quality of the beef in the states has gone downhill. Best Beef in the world is Kobe Beff, followed by Sonoran beef and Argentinian beef. USDA grade "Prime" probably right behind that.

The Skipper's got the right idea. Thin sliced Tri Tip or tenderloin on a green salad with oil and vinegar.

Edited by lannarebirth

Order it from australia, the best beef in the world.

Sorry for the OT, but had to comment. Australian beef is amongst the worlds worst. I agree the quality of the beef in the states has gone downhill. Best Beef in the world is Kobe Beff, followed by Sonoran beef and Argentinian beef. USDA grade "Prime" probably right behind that.

The Skipper's got the right idea. Thin sliced Tri Tip or tenderloin on a green salad with oil and vinegar.

Argentinian beef is great.That kobe stuff is too expensive,but if you want real beef that is not full of fat...and has a bit of flavour,then try some kiwi stuff.makes aussie beef taste like rubber! :o