Computer Upgrade question

Mr.Poko

My desktop computer is an Intel i5-2500 with an Asus P8P67-M motherboard, with 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz memory, for graphics I have an AMD HD6670 graphics card.

I have the idea to upgrade, but moving to a new Intel socket 1151 mainboard means I have to buy a new processor, mainboard and memory… Which is not the cheapest option, a sales person at my local Jib computer shop recommended that I just bought a new Nvidia GTX950 graphics card and ensured me that I will be good for a year or two… (Buying just a new graphics card is obvious the cheaper option)…

What people here recommend?

You might tell us what you use your computer for.

If you are a gamer, a graphics card and RAM might be benificial. If you use Adobe products, RAM and faster processor might be for you. Just surfing, stick with your current config.

There is not just a fitting answer. Also you can upgrade your graphics card but if your processor can 'pull' the game you're out of luck.

Edited by sniffdog

You might tell us what you use your computer for.

If you are a gamer, a graphics card and RAM might be benificial. If you use Adobe products, RAM and faster processor might be for you. Just surfing, stick with your current config.

There is not just a fitting answer. Also you can upgrade your graphics card but if your processor can 'pull' the game you're out of luck.

Currently I use MS Windows 10 Professional 64-bits, I have MS Offices 2013 (32-bits), Adobe Dreamweaver CS6, Adobe Acrobat 9.5, Corel CorelDraw X7 Technical Suit 86_X64 and Corel Paintshop Pro X6 86_X64. I use my computer for graphical design and website development…

I have currently only one game installed which is Civilization V (The Complete Edition)…

What I understand is that the new Intel i5-6600 is much faster with graphics, but not faster than an Nvidia GTX950 graphics card

Edited by Mr.Poko

That and an ssd.

I already have a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD in combination with a Western Digital 1TB hard drive... No need to upgrade the storage devices...

He should go for a WD 2Tb they are only a few Baht more than the 1Tb. If he is going to go for an SSD he needs to check that his BIOS will support an SSD

Edited by gandalf12

That and an ssd.

I already have a Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD in combination with a Western Digital 1TB hard drive... No need to upgrade the storage devices...

He should go for a WD 2Tb they are only a few Baht more than the 1Tb. If he is going to go for an SSD he needs to check that his BIOS will support an SSD

Ya shouldn't drink and drive. Aeeh write. laugh.png

The 256GB Samsung SSD works perfect, I didn’t tested how long it takes for MS Windows 10 to start up, but it looks close to instantly. The 1TB WD hard drive I had bought a few months back when the difference between 1 and 2TB was much greater…

For the upgrade I have decided to replace the graphics card, the current AMD/ATI HD6670 is not supported anymore what means no driver updates… The AMD/ATI HD6670 is not even that old, therefore no more AMD/ATI graphics card for me, it seems that Nvidia supports its graphic cards much longer – the GTX4XX series which was sold at the same time as the AMD/ATI HD6670 is still supported and has currently even drivers that support DirectX 12…