Raja Ferry Safety Sucks

i dont think raja operate full moon party speedboat services.

raja operate big ferries from the mainland to samui and possibly phangan.

Raja only operates car ferries, leaving from Don Sak to Samui and to Phangan.

I suspect Mosquitoman was only trying to make a comparison to the previous capsizing but really, it is like comparing apples to oranges. The car ferries are so far removed from the speedboat disaster (won't say accident) which occurred because the boats were running illegally modified, over full, and the driver was racing another boat at 3 am. So, if the boat hadn't been illegally modified it most likely wouldn't have had the disastrous effect that occurred.

Sea Safety

There have been a number of passenger boat sinkings, apparently due to overloading. In January 2005, four British nationals were among 18 people who died near Koh Samui when a speedboat bringing passengers back from the full moon party on Koh Pha Ngan sank. During the full moon party speedboats to and from Koh Pha Ngan are often severely overloaded. You should exercise care at all times when travelling by passenger ferry or speedboat and avoid travel on vessels that are clearly overloaded or in poor condition. You should also ensure that life jackets are available.

I am not comparing speedboats to ferries, apologies if my previous post came across that way.

Im just trying to point out the fact that the British Embassy is aware of the fact that some ferries are in poor condition, and that they are advising people to avoid using these passenger ferries.

I think Raja Ferries fits into the poor condition category

MM

Edited by mosquitoman

There seems to be some confidence in the "car ferries" on this post. I would advise that the dangers of traveling on a ferry carrying vehicles are considerably higher, than a passenger ferry. In 20 years of service aboard such vessels, I would say the bulk of alll incidents I have seen has been due to the vehicles carried. Gas leaks, faulty brakes, fires, overturned trucks, hazardous material, all can contribute to to the dangers involved.Dont be lulled into a false sense of security.

Crews in the U.S are certified in firefighting, rescue, and first aid and are required to do weekly training/practice drills. Has anyone ever seen any such drills being conducted in Thailand?

Edited by pumpuiman

ISM Code

January 1997

Recently, frequent mention has been made of the ISM Code in relation to the operation of ships which has caused doubt and anxiety among shipowners, operators and managers. This article is intended to explain the ISM Code’s legal effects and the actions required of local shipowners to comply with the Code.

The International Safety Management (ISM) Code means the International Management Code for the Safe Operation of Ships and Pollution Prevention. Its objectives are to ensure safety at sea, prevent human injury or loss of life, and avoid damage to the environment, in particular the marine environment, and property. The Code has been added as Chapter IX of the Annex to the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) 1974, and has legal effect in Thailand, as a Contracting State to the Convention.

The International Maritime Organization (IMO) has set deadlines for implementation of the ISM Code according to type of ship, regardless of date of construction.

Passenger ships, including passenger high-speed craft, oil tankers, chemical carriers, gas carriers, bulk carriers and cargo high-speed craft of 500 GRT and over: July 1, 1998

Other cargo ships and mobile offshore drilling units of 500 GRT and over: July 1, 2002

However, the Code does not apply to government-operated ships used for non-commercial purposes.

Although there appears to be ample time to meet the deadlines, it should be borne in mind that the process of obtaining ISM certification is rather complicated and time-consuming, involving the establishment of safety management procedures, both on board and on shore.

The Code is aimed at establishing an international standard for the safe management and operation of ships and for pollution prevention. Each Thai shipowner or any organization that has assumed responsibility for the operation of a ship from the shipowner is required to set rules for safety and pollution prevention and implement a Safety Management System (SMS) by:

* setting up safe practices in ship operation and providing a safe working environment;

* establishing safeguards against all identified risks; and

* continuously improving safety management skills of personnel ashore and aboard ships, including preparedness for emergencies concerning both safety and environment protection.

The introduction of an SMS requires a company to document its management procedures to ensure that conditions, activities and tasks affecting safety and environment protection are planned, organized, executed and checked in accordance with legislative and company requirements. With the system, the company will be able to measure its performance against a documented procedure, allowing the identification of areas requiring improvement and implementation of corrective measures.

Certification

ISM Code requires The that every ship be subjected to assessment and certification. As a prerequisite to a ship being certificated, the shore-based management organization must have a "Document of Compliance" issued by the proper authority, probably the Harbor Department, or by an organization recognized by such authority. The document will only be issued when the shipowner has complied with all of the requirements of the Code. The document is to be kept on board the ship in order that the master can produce it on request for verification. In addition, a certificate called a "Safety Management Certificate" will be issued to every ship by the authority or the recognized organization after it has verified that the company and its shipboard management operate in accordance with the approved SMS.

After each ship in a company’s fleet and the company’s shore-based management system have been separately certificated, it means that the SMS of the company is in accordance with the ISM Code. However, the obligation of a shipowner to comply with other international or domestic statutory requirements, such as regular surveys, remains unchanged. Compliance with the ISM Code is therefore an additional responsibility for the owners.

Sanctions

Although the competent authority is entitled to verify the proper functioning of a ship’s SMS or, being a party to SOLAS, to request the competent authority of another state to do so, the sanction for non-compliance with the ISM Code is "Port State Control". Where a ship enters foreign waters, the coastal state may exercise power over it by, for example, going on board, carrying out inspections, or asking to see required certificates. Failure to observe appropriate regulations may result in detention of the ship, an order to take remedial measures, or refusal to enter ports.

In conclusion, the ISM Code is another initiative from the IMO to improve safety standards for the protection of both man and the marine environment. Although it means a heavier financial burden for ship operators and additional workload for the competent authority of each country, the scheme will eventually lead to cost savings in the form of minimized claims which will thereby have an effect on the insurance premium.

For further information, please contact Ms. Pimvimol Vipamaneerut, Head of Transportation & Insurance Group, Tilleke & Gibbins (e-mail [email protected] or [email protected]).

:o:D:D:D

Edited by pumpuiman

I have never heard of a car ferry sinking in all the years I have lived here.

and lets hope it stays that way.

those car ferries are called ro-ro boats , roll on - roll off , after the method of loading and unloading them.

huge doors at either end of the boat enable quick loading and unloading.

those doors and the lack of bulkheads in the parking area means that should a large amount of water enter , either due to encountering a storm , or due to faulty closure of the doors , then the cargo area could become awash with a foot or so of water , this water sloshing around could easily capsize the boat.

disasters with these types of ferries in europe ( the estonia , the spirit of free enterprise disasters) have claimed many lives and resulted in tightening of safety regulations for ro-ro boats.

they were cynically renamed ro-ro-ro boats ( roll on , roll off , roll over)

the samui ferries seem to be second hand boats , about 20 years old from japan or taiwan.

i have been on them in rough weather and never spotted more than a trickle of water coming through the doors when hitting a heavy swell.

does anybody know if these boats are operated and inspected professionally and within international regulations ?

or is it just a coffee and a beer with the inspectors.

Tax one of the bigger ferries they run don't even have a front ramp.It runs into the swell open.

I don't know if it was being repaired or what.Come to think of it I really can't remember how we got off.He must have moored right up to the mainland solid ramp.

Edited by Rooo