All vocational colleges to open English Program courses over next 5 years

webfact

... anyone know what happened with that drive to get rid of western english teachers in favor of more local ones?[

/quote]

Well, the first objective (get rid of western English teachers) seems to have been quite successful. 'More local ones' presumably means Filipino/a. coffee1.gif

Indeed, which means poorer English skills for Thai students but more profit in some Thai pockets.

There's always a silver lining...

W

Have you been in the Land Of Smiles long Winnie? 2 months, 3 years, for example.

12 years, give or take a month or two.

Let's hope the Q was not a setup for a devastating one-liner. I'd be so upset... crushed.

W

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked in a vocational school once about 13 years ago. It was a disaster. I only got the job as my father in law was best friends with the director and I was staying in their home city for a couple of years. They constantly moaned about my salary being more than theirs. I was the first ever whitey to work there. The kids really couldn't give a shit about learning English.

This program will NEVER work.

I worked in a vocational school once about 13 years ago. It was a disaster. I only got the job as my father in law was best friends with the director and I was staying in their home city for a couple of years. They constantly moaned about my salary being more than theirs. I was the first ever whitey to work there. The kids really couldn't give a shit about learning English.

This program will NEVER work.

In my time as a teacher, I would estimate that maybe 10%-20% of the kids were interested in learning anything. Why bother to learn when mummy & daddy will buy knowledge for you? Or a nice pretty certificate anyway. And when you eventually take over mum & dads dress and sock stall in the market, if you can't add up 2 and 2, then do what everyone else in Thailand does - use a calculator.

When is Thailand proposing the nuclear power station and the satellite launch program from Korat? Seems like a really good time to check out the Philippines.

W

Edited by Winniedapu

Thainess: "yes but for farang easy farang suhpeak English at home" (the most heard excuse/argument).

Euh, not really. English is as much my mother tongue as it is yours. Ok Na !?

But why of course would a country utterly inundated with native English speakers, many with visa problems, be able to somehow come up with a solution to utilise them?

Completely eludes me too.

Native English speakers wearing Chang vests don't go down too well with Thais, unless they are bar-fined.