Growing big mangoes in Thailand.

sipi

I have successfully grown mangoes in Australia. But for some reason the mango trees I have planted in Thailand seem to attract all type of fungus and parasite. I have nurtured them but for some reason they just chose to be unproductive.

No only mangoes, here in Thailand all fruit trees need to intense care to be productive.

You need to come up with a sustained pest management scheme, suitable fertilizer schedule, the trees need around 90 days of rest after proper pruning in order to flower and set fruit.

Commercial growers induce the rest period chemically; otherwise the trees will flush full of vegetative growth, no flowers no fruit.

Good luck

'sipi'...there's a few here in Anusarn Market (Chiang Mai)....trees surrounded by asphalt and concrete, pollution, no watering other than rain..but they fruit every year..mind you the green fruit never ripen and are gone before even half size....smash up your pavement..if its not already done for you, and drop a seedling in the crack.

I'm growing avocados. Wish me luck. The Haas variety and they are doing well.

Mangoes, my mum has several trees and they fruit very well but they are biannual.

All the best.

I might try avocados. Mangoes seem to attract all type of vermin.

Mangoes, my mum has several trees and they fruit very well but they are biannual.

All the best.

The problem is that if you don't treat your mangoes correctly and then urinate all over them, they will end up bitter.

You can't blame everything else for your failings.

Edited by Truscott

I have basically left them to themselves. Just viewing from a distance and occasionally giving them some support. I have noticed a few other potential growers are having similar problems. Possibly a bad batch of seed.

Where we live this years crop is lighter than last year. A bit like Oz where you have good and bad years.

FiL has a dozen or more local variety mango trees which are fruiting well. My 5 Bowen Specials grown from seed planted 7 years ago have a dozen fruit on each.

The trees don't get any special treatment apart from the occasional watering when its really dry. No pest problems apart from red ant nests.

Yes I am currently in Australia and I do have property in both Australia and Thailand.

And yes I enjoy trolling behind a boat for Spanish Mackerel off the Qld coast. But what does that have to do with mangoes?

And exactly who are "some people"?

The helpful ones were the ones I have given a "like" to.

Is it really that complicated?

Welcome to my "ignore list".

it's 'trawling' when you do the mackerel thing...

trolls are those little gnome creatures from the mountains of norway. and they have A LOT more hair than your post - nemesis.

but apart from that, i believe there is a valid reason why thais eat most of their fruit 'un - ripe' - they simply do not make it to the western accepted ripe stage without being eaten by some pest - or the neighbor. or both.

the tomatoes are green - yellow, the mangoes are hard and sour, the papaya has the consistency of a cricket bat...

i like it, it's thai

it's 'trawling' when you do the mackerel thing...

trolls are those little gnome creatures from the mountains of norway. and they have A LOT more hair than your post - nemesis.

but apart from that, i believe there is a valid reason why thais eat most of their fruit 'un - ripe' - they simply do not make it to the western accepted ripe stage without being eaten by some pest - or the neighbor. or both.

the tomatoes are green - yellow, the mangoes are hard and sour, the papaya has the consistency of a cricket bat...

i like it, it's thai

Yes and Thank you Manfred. The Thais seem to have perfected the art of eating green fruit, whether it be paw paw in salad, or mangoes with chili and salt. Best to dispose of the fruit before it becomes ruined by some tropical pest, we all agree.

My mother's little mango orchard is truly wonderful.

She grew many from seeds and some are grafted, some are biannual. They are quite stunning, beautiful trees and provide shade and bounty. but you need to nurture them.

She doesn't have that many. Every year, as the trees start to bear fruit even green ones, a bunch of <deleted> cockatoos descend. Other pestilences. Fungus and other diseases.

Smaller weak trees which popped up were given a chance to see how they would survive.

Alas some do some don't. That's nature or nurture. Same as weeds. Pull them out.

The thing she taught me was this: Weed out regularly. Leaching plants suck the energy out and the small orchard is open to infestation. Plastic bags over the fruit to stop the raiders, set fire to the grass and kill the snakes, always buy or grow plants you can trust.

AND so far her orchard has never failed.

Cheers.

All the best.

The problem is that if you don't treat your mangoes correctly and then urinate all over them, they will end up bitter.

You can't blame everything else for your failings.

Nothing wrong with a good piss in the pond as long as it's not your own.

My mother's little mango orchard is truly wonderful.

She grew many from seeds and some are grafted, some are biannual. They are quite stunning, beautiful trees and provide shade and bounty. but you need to nurture them.

She doesn't have that many. Every year, as the trees start to bear fruit even green ones, a bunch of <deleted> cockatoos descend. Other pestilences. Fungus and other diseases.

Smaller weak trees which popped up were given a chance to see how they would survive.

Alas some do some don't. That's nature or nurture. Same as weeds. Pull them out.

The thing she taught me was this: Weed out regularly. Leaching plants suck the energy out and the small orchard is open to infestation. Plastic bags over the fruit to stop the raiders, set fire to the grass and kill the snakes, always buy or grow plants you can trust.

AND so far her orchard has never failed.

Cheers.

cockatoos? you live in oz! there is not even a comparison between australian mango growing and what is 'A1' here in thailand.

not having a go at you, i just made a similar 'error of judgment' with a different topic before.

cheers

I live in HK but mangoes can be grown anywhere. Very versatile plants.

Up in Brisbane for example, there are many mango farms. You will get locals offering their services to spray the crop orchard in their cessna.

The whole of Queensland in Australia is awash with these scammers. Everywhere else it seems.

Seriously can you believe that? It's a fact. Some people will do anything.

There was a loon offering to spray but we told him to go away. The only thing he's been a part of is snakes on planes.

I'm a decent woman. just protecting my property and interests.