I thought he was a boiler room sales guy :)

So last night, I got an unexpected phone call from a man who spoke with a very strong Indian accent.

The conversation went like this:

[ring ring]

Me: Hello

Him: Hello Simon, how are you?

Me: Sorry, who is this?

Him: This is Peter, how are you?

Me: I'm fine, but who are you?

Him: Peter

Me: Peter who? I don't know any Indians called Peter

Him: I am offering you a job at an international school

Me: Oh? Which school?

[hangs up...]

So, if there is an 'international' school using a strange Indian gentleman to recruit for them, can I suggest you fire the guy and encourage him to become a boiler room sales guy, because his phone technique is more-suited to that type of employment.

cheesy.gif

Can I make you a shirt?

Agencies are really trying to find teachers now. Promises of June 1st starts were of course not met and there they are, schools without teachers for what seems like another month or the entire term? At what point will the parents complain? Or are the students just enjoying the free time?

Can I make you a shirt?

Agencies are really trying to find teachers now. Promises of June 1st starts were of course not met and there they are, schools without teachers for what seems like another month or the entire term? At what point will the parents complain? Or are the students just enjoying the free time?

Most of the students enjoy it whether someone is in the room teaching or not !

"So, if there is an 'international' school using a strange Indian gentleman to recruit for them, can I suggest you fire the guy and encourage him to become a boiler room sales guy, because his phone technique is more-suited to that type of employment".

How would you know that?

How would you know that?

Because these boiler room guys have called me many times over the years, trying to get me to invest in some scam shares. Their phone technique is very recognisable and amateur; my immediate assumption when this agent called was that he was yet another scammer. I almost beat him by hanging up the phone first coffee1.gif

He knew your name.... How?

Sigh..... Because he was working as an agent to recruit teachers for his 'international' school, and I had presumably sent him my CV at some point.

How do boiler room scammers know my name? No idea, but they do, perhaps from LinkedIn.

Perhaps he is a ThaiVisa member and was bright enough to realise that my handle is probably my name? (In your case, that might not be obvious).

It's funny you mentioned LinkedIn...which people told me to use to avoid the pitfalls from Facebook. I found reality to be almost opposite, as I had never had any real trouble with FB. OTOH, my Linkedin membership seemed to expose me to every African scammer on this side of the Atlantic.

Archived