Passenger van ends up in ditch as unfriendly cat and mouse game plays out on "friendship highway"

rooster59

So, the van driver thought he would just show that big guy, who was the toughest! Maybe he forgot he had passengers!

...consequences...what are they?...there is no deterrent factor here at all...a minimal fine ..they just don't care what they do to other road users..as long as they come out on top..they just smile and walk away...even the fools gathered around the truck can do nothing but smirk, grin and giggle...like a bunch of kindergarten school children...role models..education..they have no idea...when they only regard traffic rules as guidelines...says it all...no neurons firing at all...should be restricted to ox-carts only.

Look here - https://web.facebook.com/RDNewsCH3/videos/1562057500762393/?_rdr

Do not know what happened before that Video or if there was something happening before, but the TRUCK deliberately pushed the VAN from the road!!! blink.png

...regardless of what you say 'ALF....' my comment stands and applies to all the idiotic drivers and their totally reckless behaviour...if they want to retaliate ...go make a complaint...don't go shoving your big truck into someone's face...payback is not to be tolerated...this is why we have a judicial system...ever stopped to think of the inherent danger these morons create when they play out their frustrations..better off stopping their big truck/pickup/bus by the road side and have a w&nk in the bushes to relieve the mental pressure.

The roads in Thailand and abroad are now filled with people who are hostile to every attempt to pass them; drive at the speed limit; not change lanes quick enough; or look at them in a way they consider 'wrong'. I have seen road rage in the US and Thailand and I am not sure who is worse. The best way to avoid it is to not take part in it- if someone does something ridiculous while driving- let it go. Do not try and overtake that person; act in a provocative manner; or retaliate. Just let it go...the life you save maybe your own.

Is the expression "cut me up" in common usage in Thailand ?

Not surprising but I thought "cut me off" should be the correct term.

One could become confused after an incident involving a machete and road rage as well.

The term "he cut me up" could hardly be used by the victim if he was already in pieces. whistling.gif

No, it is just a bad translation.

ตัดหน้า dtat naa is how they say it = cut in front. It could also mean "cut face" but not in this example.

Similar in English, someone "cuts you off", no machete and you are not actually cut.

It would be good if OPs on Thaivisa corrected errors before posting them. It cant be that hard. Maths seems to confuse them also.

No. It is a good translation. He 'cut me up' is the correct english term in common usage in the UK.

Ok fair enough. I thought the same as xerostar, "cut up" would involve being cut with some sort of blade.

In Oz we say "cut off" when driving.

Never heard that before but thanks for the English lesson.

Yes u r right it is a strange saying......more metaphorical than literal......cut sharply like a knife. Or the 'cutting' could be from our naval heritage; a sailboat cuts through the water. But the 'up' is still puzzling.

Responsible for 14 other people's lives but still not back done ,take his license away from him and the lorry driver

Interestingly no one on the van asked the driver to stop the cat and mouse game. Maybe they were enjoying it.

So, the van driver thought he would just show that big guy, who was the toughest! Maybe he forgot he had passengers!

...consequences...what are they?...there is no deterrent factor here at all...a minimal fine ..they just don't care what they do to other road users..as long as they come out on top..they just smile and walk away...even the fools gathered around the truck can do nothing but smirk, grin and giggle...like a bunch of kindergarten school children...role models..education..they have no idea...when they only regard traffic rules as guidelines...says it all...no neurons firing at all...should be restricted to ox-carts only.

Look here - https://web.facebook.com/RDNewsCH3/videos/1562057500762393/?_rdr

Do not know what happened before that Video or if there was something happening before, but the TRUCK deliberately pushed the VAN from the road!!! blink.png

...regardless of what you say 'ALF....' my comment stands and applies to all the idiotic drivers and their totally reckless behaviour...if they want to retaliate ...go make a complaint...don't go shoving your big truck into someone's face...payback is not to be tolerated...this is why we have a judicial system...ever stopped to think of the inherent danger these morons create when they play out their frustrations..better off stopping their big truck/pickup/bus by the road side and have a w&nk in the bushes to relieve the mental pressure.

I am full on your side, was only surprised, that you not reacted to -fakename- comment ="So, the van driver thought he would just show that big guy, who was the toughest!" =

On the provided VIDEO was not to see if the VAN driver made something wrong before also, maybe not and or, only in the opinion of the Truck driver.

I thought , -fakename- comment, like he wrote it, sounded same the Van driver was mostly to blame - from the facts I read and saw, I do not believe that. rolleyes.gif

Is the expression "cut me up" in common usage in Thailand ?

Not surprising but I thought "cut me off" should be the correct term.

One could become confused after an incident involving a machete and road rage as well.

The term "he cut me up" could hardly be used by the victim if he was already in pieces. whistling.gif

I believe they speak Thai in Thailand.

The phrase "cut me up" is as far as I remember from class, English.

Just a wild guess here, but maybe look into the translation?

Oxford English Dictionary:

Definition of cut someone up in English:

1 informal (Of a driver) overtake someone and pull in too closely in front of them: he was threatened with a baseball bat after cutting up another driver

Example: "I consider myself to be a concerned citizen, so if a driver cuts me up or behaves in a manner that I consider to be irresponsible, I should flash my lights and attempt to make him, or her, pull over and explain to them the error of their ways."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/cut-someone-up

So that's what the poor, misunderstood, truck driver was trying to do...

Road rage. Nothing like that ever happens in the West, right?

Glad nobody was hurt. But hardly national news.

What makes it "news," even at a national level, is that someone got a dash cam clip of the incident, which makes great news bits on national news, and attracts readers on Facebook and forums like this. It exposes and often captures the required info. (license plate numbers, faces, etc.) to prosecute (or at the least, shame) crazy and aggressive drivers. It's helping to bring the road carnage and lack of basic driver skills/temperaments into the national spotlight.

Further, the more prolific use of dash cams and social media is starting to even up the imbalance of justice for the stupidity that is taking place on the highways. In cases where police have not acted or ignored flagrant abuses of the law, now they are being shamed and even "trapped" into having to take action to save face.

It's people power at its best. Bring it on!

Edited by Fookhaht

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what would have happened if this truck driver had played chicken over in Laos. It would have become an international incident - Thai plated truck pushes Lao van off the road. Or he could have made it even more interesting by finding a Vietnamese or Chinese truck in Vientiane and playing dodge em with them.