Never saw a mechanic clean a chain prior to lube service

onlycw

I use a chain cleaner called Threebond from Homepro. If not at hand, then WD40 does the job well.
After that I let it dry and then lube it with a wax spray that I buy at Honda Bigwing.

I don't clean it every time though, sometimes I just lube it. Depends on if I had to ride through some dirt/rain.

Regarding the myth about WD40 and o-rings:

TB-Super-Cleaner-500x500.jpg

Right or wrong: I clean chain about every 1000 clicks using WD or equivalent and lube every 400 to 500 clicks. In LOS I use 'White grease spray' by Winlube. Obviously the mentioned schedule can change given the riding conditions before ...just a rule of thumb ...works for me.

I don't understand why big bikes never have enclosed chains? Does not have to be a big steel enclosure like on a Super Cub, a carbon fibre and black rubber bellows enclosure could look quite decent. Then the chain would stay clean and the O-ring sealed rollers could do their job for years with minimal maintenance.

Adventure bikes (those without a shaft drive) would benefit most from this.

Cars did away with exposed chains in about 1903, and primary drive and cam chains are all enclosed now - I think it's about time bikes moved away from steam age technology for their final drive.

I just use supermarket engine cleaner while I am cleaning the rest of the bike, then lube with 'Veloil' which is cheap in T'land as it is local, probably just as good as the incredibly expensive 'Motul' which is being heavily promoted. Gear oil in dusty/sandy conditions.

I spray everything except the brakes with WD40 as winter lay up protection in the UK and nothing has ever rotted. I did have a problem where 'Waxoyl' disintegrated the ball joint gaiters on an old car though and it has a similar white spirit type base afaik.

I don't understand why big bikes never have enclosed chains? Does not have to be a big steel enclosure like on a Super Cub, a carbon fibre and black rubber bellows enclosure could look quite decent. Then the chain would stay clean and the O-ring sealed rollers could do their job for years with minimal maintenance.

Adventure bikes (those without a shaft drive) would benefit most from this.

Cars did away with exposed chains in about 1903, and primary drive and cam chains are all enclosed now - I think it's about time bikes moved away from steam age technology for their final drive.

...and why on earth do Thais insist on removing the enclosed chain covers on their Waves and suchlike.

I've done a fait mileage on my 2012 Yamaha Spark oil and adjust it. So happy to be able to give it a good oil without worrying about the oil ending up on the back wheel

post-62332-14657869208947_thumb.jpg