Tesco Finest Frozen Food

Burgers etc. still there – but not so many Aberdeen Angus left – but they are moved to a new freezer, in the brand new "Tesco Finest" boutique next to the liqueur-store, together with a lot of other "Tesco Finest" delicatessen products...

attachicon.gifwTescoFinest_20160629.jpg

Thank you for posting khunPer thumbsup.gif

When I was in there earlier in the week they were rearranging the beer section but it was same in that corner, so I am really surprised.

This is good news ....

Burgers have all gone angry.gif

As I said before thank you for posting khunPer, I've bought a few things today that I wouldn't have been able to find elsewhere on Samui.

The display seems a bit OTT on coffee, tea, pasta and crisps.

There are loads of things that would be ideal for small Xmas presents for Farangs (such as fudge & chocolate).

I hope it does well.... and they extend the range.

As I said before thank you for posting khunPer, I've bought a few things today that I wouldn't have been able to find elsewhere on Samui.

There are loads of things that would be ideal for small Xmas presents for Farangs (such as fudge & chocolate).

I said only few (burgers) left – look carefully at the my picture, there are two (2) packs leftblink.png – however, you can buy 1 kilo frozen Australian Black Angus (don't know why "black") in Markro for about 350 baht. That's even cheaper than Tesco Finest Aberdeen Angus, and almost no fat. When prepared the right way, it (burgers made of it) taste very good...tongue.png

Thanks, I hope this proves popular & leads to a wider selection of goods being available.

Pretty bad selection of stuff generally, some shelves pretty low or no stock today.... the import selection is really bad...

Big C has now become my first shop of choice, since their improvements and new owners.

Even Brit style Indian curries in the freezer section, which are not bad!

Have to agree. Both have a supply chain issue but Tesco's is definitely worse, especially on the fresh veg counters. Only go to Tesco once a month now when I have to pay a couple of bills.

I try to buy local where possible. I'd rather spend money in local small businesses such as the old market (Lamai). Meat, veg, and fish if you are early and a fruit stall just down the way. Lots of dry goods around too. I'll go to Makro otherwise and Tesco last.

I said only few (burgers) left – look carefully at the my picture, there are two (2) packs leftblink.png – however, you can buy 1 kilo frozen Australian Black Angus (don't know why "black") in Markro for about 350 baht. That's even cheaper than Tesco Finest Aberdeen Angus, and almost no fat. When prepared the right way, it (burgers made of it) taste very good...tongue.png

You can't buy 1 Kilo of Australian beef for 350THB in Makro.

You can't buy 1 Kilo of Australian beef for 350THB in Makro.

Well, perhaps not.

But unfortunately I did buy 1 kilo of frozen minced Black Angus (low fat) for little less than 350 baht (I wrote about 350) – only some 20 baht more than local beef, and excellent for burgers and pasta bolognese and many other dishes – and there were lots-and-lots of it in the Makro-freezer.

I try to buy local where possible. I'd rather spend money in local small businesses such as the old market (Lamai). Meat, veg, and fish if you are early and a fruit stall just down the way. Lots of dry goods around too. I'll go to Makro otherwise and Tesco last.

We do too, the vans driving around with local produce are great. The local markets are okay but tend to be expensive in our experience. Plus we can get quality beef and lamb in Makro or Tops if you want to go to the extreme.

Actually the Sicilian Lemon pie is to die for. It's that good. 199 baht and its a big one. Cheaper and better taste than anything locally produced here.

We do too, the vans driving around with local produce are great. The local markets are okay but tend to be expensive in our experience. Plus we can get quality beef and lamb in Makro or Tops if you want to go to the extreme.

Where possible and they don't sell beef or lamb....

Makro lamb racks (in twos frozen) are damn good.

I like to buy local to keep the community alive which is generally more expensive but it is a question of freshness. If I buy 3 cucumbers then they will often last a week but I buy from a supermarket then 3-4 days. Need to get down there early though for meat as they are all closed by 10am or earlier. I generally go down around 05:30 and know what I'm looking at after working for a huge food company. Those days I was charged with getting value for money within a certain price range, for myself I would rather the best I can get within reason. I remember a slogan from the 70's when high streets in the UK were being replaced by huge supermarkets..... 'get to know your butcher'. A couple of meat (mostly pork with a chicken here or there) vendors opposite each other are close friends. They buy a whole pig a day which they slaughter and cut in half before going on to sell out of. One has the head end that that always goes. How much for a pig's head? They always sell out before 10 or mostly 9 so pack up. Tomorrow is another pig (day)

There of cause there are the group of old girls selling bit-bobs while being smashed out on betel nut. First sato this season was from their, erm, little array of 'produce'. They never have on sale anything which is not the best or at least in its prime. Sometime they have a pineapple in the sala and it will always be at the optimum... perfectly ripe. No fun and games with what they are selling which must bring in sod all really so what is the point? Maybe they feel obliged? I've interacted with them while in various states of disrepair and have never come close to understanding what is going on.

Let's just say I'm willing to pay a small amount more in cash, which I get back in kind anyway, in the interest of community cohesion.

I generally go down around 05:30 and know what I'm looking at after working for a huge food company. Those days I was charged with getting value for money within a certain price range, for myself I would rather the best I can get within reason.

I only work for companies that are looking for 'food perfection' and have worked and still work with many 'huge food companies'

Tesco Finest is pretty good but I generally think M&S food is better.

This is the best product that I have worked with and ever tasted, it is simply divine:

post-117835-0-57675800-1467912365_thumb.

The burgers and cod products are back in stock. Yippee ...

Good to see re-stock. Just a few items or most of the range?

Yes, something Tesco not known for its regular restocking.... months and months sometimes, bah.gif that's why Big C has recently become my first choice, to shop... especially in the last few months, since the new ownership.

The burgers and cod products are back in stock. Yippee ...

Good to see re-stock. Just a few items or most of the range?

Yes, something Tesco not known for its regular restocking.... months and months sometimes, bah.gif that's why Big C has recently become my first choice, to shop... especially in the last few months, since the new ownership.

It's often just a promotion.... Buy (import) a shedload, pile them high, sell them quick then get out.

I know a little off the main topic, but after years of trying to do so, Tesco will have a Tesco Express in Maenam... just after Soi 5, heading toward Nathon.

Halfway under construction:

untitled-27.jpg

I wonder if they will add the Tesco Finest line of products?

• 2 weeks later...

I know a little off the main topic, but after years of trying to do so, Tesco will have a Tesco Express in Maenam... just after Soi 5, heading toward Nathon.

Halfway under construction:

untitled-27.jpg

I wonder if they will add the Tesco Finest line of products?

There is also a new Tesco Express in Bangrak near to the Ghost Road turning.

Tesco-Express Maenam is expected to open August 2nd – I think opposite 7-eleven try to finish their rebuilding to compete on the opening – but I don't presume such a small 24-hour convenient store will include a Tesco-Finest hi-so stall.
smile.png

• 7 months later...
56 minutes ago, johng said:

Not frozen but Tesco finest English breakfast tea makes a very nice cuppa  at a very good price.

[Images removed in reply]

No, it has to be Ceylon Tea – but that's also among Tesco Finest selection...:smile:

20170322_152521.jpg.5ef641f243d2dd5c48ba7cf8a237547d.jpg

On 6/10/2016 at 11:47 PM, TheLobster said:

I'm a big fan of M&S Food but must have missed the M&S store on Samui, perhaps you can let us know where it is? or maybe just another irrelevant post (given this is a Samui forum) ?

Tops sell Waitrose food and the cod fish fingers and in batter are cheaper then the Tesco Finest but I haven't compared the two.

There's a M&S in my home town of Chiang Mai

I buy tea there 

Edited by junglechef

• 5 months later...
On 14 July 2016 at 8:29 PM, samuijimmy said:

The range and stocks of 'finest' and other imported 'farang' foods are now dwindling at Tesco Lotus Chaweng. Also it appears that they are gradually clearing everything out. The goods shelves at the checkouts were missing yesterday. I'm wondering what the hell is going on?

Meanwhile the Big C range seems to grow every week but not so much of what I'm looking to buy but better than nothing.