LINE privacy?

I installed this child's toy to participate in the family photo exchange etc.

I hate it and do not use it for anything serious.

Childish, overloaded, bells and whistles and so many "friends" just because there were some zombie entries in the address book.

Edited by KhunBENQ

You don't want the mrs to see either you mean smile.png

I don't have a 'mrs' so that's not what I mean :)

But, I do have 10 dates lined up, and see no good reason why they should have to know about each other...as I don't know who else they are chatting to either.

https://help.line.me/line/?contentId=20000213

LINE is somewhat "leaky", like many social media apps. Sometimes a separate phone/SIM/account are called for. Even then there can be leakage.

Thanks ...cant find the thread or remember the exact details now, but a guy(new user) a was talking about how his Line contacts could see each other and it caused a bit of a mess, so just wanted to check.

about how his Line contacts could see each other and it caused a bit of a mess

Maybe via the "Timeline"? (Unrestricted friends can post on your timeline. Danger, danger, danger.) Or just "Friends" list(s).

IMO it is a great app. I use it to stay in touch with a dozen or so people, and use the calling feature when in foreign countries. LINE Groups are one of the best features, again IME. For example, there may be a LINE group for your workplace, or for your moo baan, where it is easy to stay up to date on news, happenings, services, parties, etc.

WhatsApp for the more significant people in my life and LINE for the girlies.

Both applications have the ability to lock-down who can see you and who can find you. The Friends/Contacts that show up on my phone apps are exactly the ones I know and want to be there. I learned the mistake of arbitrarily saving a phone number to my phone contacts with an Italian chap I had a minor fender-bender with (swapped phone numbers). Suddenly he was in both apps and the only way to get rid of him was a phone book purge. I am not sure about crapple products are but android devices by their nature (a significant data harvesting tool for google) likes to try and pad your native device phone book with every number it can find.

I suggest the OP try some good old RTFM though. Good advice on having the "non-essentials" on a separate SIM since allowing others to add via phone number appears to be (one of) the defaults.

Thanks for the heads up on LINE groups, I forgot about that feature. I will explore more when I get used to the chat system.

Avoid Groups and Timelines if you value your privacy. Those are where the 'leaks' can occur without you being aware. Anything that 'shares' anything totally compromises any confidentiality, that's how these buggers are able to provide you these excellent free-to-use apps.

You don't want the mrs to see either you mean smile.png

I don't have a 'mrs' so that's not what I mean :)

But, I do have 10 dates lined up, and see no good reason why they should have to know about each other...as I don't know who else they are

I suggest you of course disable the notification sound of all your other dates when your with a date.

I find girls can get abit funny when your phone is going off all the time at dinner and later on, of course the other ones patiently waiting your responce on Line can get abit funny too especially if your juggling 10

Enjoy

I often get informed by the Line app that a person I've never heard of before or someone with a name I once knew long ago but with a completely new face is now my friend and I have to go and search them out inside the app and block them.

Surely this is a massive failure by this app? Only reason I use it is to communicate with Thais who seem to use nothing else? What gives?

I often get informed by the Line app that a person I've never heard of before or someone with a name I once knew long ago but with a completely new face is now my friend and I have to go and search them out inside the app and block them.

Surely this is a massive failure by this app? Only reason I use it is to communicate with Thais who seem to use nothing else? What gives?

Maybe an old phone number now associated with a new person. Or a new person with a number in your Contacts list (who gave up their number, and a new person got it recently).

Settings, Friends, untick Auto Add Friends, untick Allow Others to add.

Manage Friends, move friends to Hidden Users or Blocked Users, then Edit, check Remove.

Personally I prefer WhatsApp! but so many people, and groups, here use LINE one has to use it. Or not.

All these social media apps are crazy sneaky.

In other news...

Line Corp plans dual Tokyo, New York IPO, valuing firm at $5.5 billion

Edited by mtls2005