14-year-old jet ski world champion Chantouch killed in training accident

webfact

World’s 2015 youth jet ski champion Chantouch dies from jet ski accident

204_jetski-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The 14-year-old world's youth jet ski champion in 2015 died yesterday in an accident during a training at a lake in Samut Prakan province.

The youth, Chantouch Chantasantitam, died at Paolo Samut Prakan hospital from serious wound on the left side of his face.

The 2015 world’s youth jet ski champion was driving his jet ski in the Chaosamut lake near the Phet Rim Bung foodshop in Muang district of Samut Prakarn at about 5 pm.

But with unknown cause, he fell off the jet ski into the water exactly at the time another jet ski driven by another was following behind.

He was hit on the left side of the face.

The accident was witnessed by his father in the shore who immediately sought help from other jet ski drivers.

The boy was rushed to the Paolo hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival from serious cut on the face.

Chantouch won the Novice Ski Stock division of the 2015 Quakysense World Finals at Lake Havasu City, Arizona, in October 2015

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/166177

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-06

But with unknown cause, he fell off the jet ski into the water exactly at the time another jet ski driven by another was following behind.

Not sure what they are referring to "unknown cause", having no clue about water skiing whatsoever, I'd assume it's still a rather small list of potential causes...out of the 3 things I can think of

- being a large fish (which I'd wager to be low as the fish would likely move outta the way already after the boat passed said spot)

- some stone or rather piece of trash (more likely than the fish imo, but wouldn't exactly place bets on that either)

- the kid simply had a wrong motion/stroke/lost control of the moment and couldn't recover from it (human error being my highest speculation, happens to the best of us every now and then)

Someone seasoned in this sport however may come to different conclusions due to experience, but if anybody knows something about the latter part, aka the "another was following behind"...is that a common-ish thing to do or more of a no-go for (obvious) safety reasons?

In any case, RIP young lad.

Not sure what they are referring to "unknown cause", having no clue about water skiing whatsoever, I'd assume it's still a rather small list of potential causes...out of the 3 things I can think of

- being a large fish (which I'd wager to be low as the fish would likely move outta the way already after the boat passed said spot)

- some stone or rather piece of trash (more likely than the fish imo, but wouldn't exactly place bets on that either)

- the kid simply had a wrong motion/stroke/lost control of the moment and couldn't recover from it (human error being my highest speculation, happens to the best of us every now and then)

Someone seasoned in this sport however may come to different conclusions due to experience, but if anybody knows something about the latter part, aka the "another was following behind"...is that a common-ish thing to do or more of a no-go for (obvious) safety reasons?

In any case, RIP young lad.

Sorry to be pedantic, but it says Jetski not water ski.

You can be killed water skiing, but falling off your tiny boat in front of one following you, is far more likely to be majorly harmful.

RIP to the young athlete.

Edited by animatic

It is the same as some of the best Motocross riders in thw world and other dangerous sports ,the young have no fear as they compeat thus they will try things a more experenced compeator wont because of that fear factor of caution in the back of their mind is there.. It happens RIP

You can be killed water skiing, but falling off your tiny boat in front of one following you, is far more likely to be majorly harmful.

Ahh ahhh. I sorta skipped that part and interchanged the 2 things, though I just googled to make sure I actually understand the difference between the 2. With that said, thanks for pointing it out....and with that said, my 3 speculations toward the "unknown cause" have reduced even further.

It is a time for mourning not pointing the finger at someone to blame.

If I had a penny for everytime that statement has been made.

Sure, pointing fingers will not make the person alive again and so forth and one may argue about at least waiting for the corpse to get cold before pointing fingers, but just "dismissing" it like so and not holding the proper person(s) in charge responsible for their potential lack of responsibility isn't going to discourage other people from doing the same (stupid) thing again next time around. Not holding people accountable for their actions creates problems for societies down to an individual level.

This is not to say that it won't happen again, but scare tactics do work on a lot of people and stops "stupid" before it happens.

I believe that father AND son knew that there is a certain risk involved.

The problem however is that everyone involved is in continuous denial, the "this won't happen to me" way... Now it happened to a world champion. Tomorrow it might happen to Average Joe, with the difference that for the latter no one would give a toss, because he wasn't famous. Yet he also would be a son, loved by his father and family but not of importance enough to make it to the headlines.

This said, a loving father would of course ALWAYS make sure that full body armor and helmet is worn, also during training, right? Hope it was so.

RIP, young fella - condolences to family and friends.

Edited by MockingJay

A young lad has died doing what he enjoyed but all people on this site can do is criticise or be expert accident analysists.

Most things in life that are fun or advances technology have risks , without risk takers we wouldn't be where we are now.

R.I.P and thoughts are with the family

Be interesting to know if he was wearing the helmet on, that he is wearing in the photo ?

A face injury with a full head helmet like that on, seems highly unlikely.. he could break his neck, but a face injury ?

A stupid photo anyway, that could be anyone !!

They could have shown a nice photo of the young lad standing beside his jetski.

Reminds me of all the motor bike rider that won't wear a helmet as they seem to think their heads are harder than the road....

Due to the strong head injuries I assume that he didn't wear a helmet. His father was there when the accident happened. Why did he allow his son to drive the jet ski without a helmet?

Prob the same reason he would allow him to ride a motorbike too without one as with most people here

Unbelievable, the no helmet brigade are on this one too. He was struck by another jetski at speed. Even with a helmet on getting struck in the face will likely be fatal.

I can only imagine the horror and grief the unfortunate boy's father must be feeling. How tragic.

Unbelievable, the no helmet brigade are on this one too. He was struck by another jetski at speed. Even with a helmet on getting struck in the face will likely be fatal.

I can only imagine the horror and grief the unfortunate boy's father must be feeling. How tragic.

If with, or without helmet doesn't really change the fact that the young guy with a brilliant future lost his life in an accident.

And helmets do not have 100 % protection. It's sad but I hope his dad,family and friends will get over it sooner, or later.

The death isn't the worst part, the worst part i when you start to understand that you'll never be able to talk to this person.

RIP, young man.

People don't die from face injuries,

Yes, they do, that's the point of the report.

Hannah Witherington (?) died from facial injuries also.

The Face is usually over the skull .And inside the skull is the brain( Sorry, when reading some posts here obviously not in every TVF member's skulls)

So yes, a face injury can be very deadly, but not for some Archa beer zipping TVF detectives on bar stools..

Edited by lostinisaan

that's right !! We don't know if this poor guy had a helmet on or not ? but we do know hundreds of people would still be alive today in motor bike accidents, if they wore helmets.. don't you get it ? I have a brother that is only alive today because he wore a helmet, the accident he was in split his helmet, it could have been his head, and a cousin that spent a week in intensive care and it was touch and go if she lived or died, she didn't wear a helmet ...lucky that she did live, but many don't..

a severe cut to the face could quite probably be caused by a competition scoop grate fitted to the following ski. ive got cuts from them before as they hang down below the ski to aid loading the pump with water and maintain forward motion.they are long straight blades. i believe some of the newer skis even have rudders now but ive been out of skiing for a decade.

he most likely wasnt wearing a helmet because active riding is as streneous as a fast jog and here in this heat it would be very uncomfortable. try wearing full riding gear on a bike while sitting still n see how much you sweat.

Edited by tomyumchai

R.I.P. to young to die, had a promising future ahead of him.

Tragic just tragic. My heart felt sympathies go to his family.

What was his promising future? Was he some sort of gifted student or someone active in his community?

I am sorry when a young person dies, but what's so special about this kid compared to the others who die every day from poverty, disease, motorbike crashes etc. Are you saying this kid is special all because of a misleading headline about being a champion? You know what he won?

Novice Ski Stock division of the 2015 Quakysense World Finals at Lake Havasu City, Arizona, in October 2015.

A nothing event for beginners and he is spun into a world champion. Ok. The insincerity and fakery of these threads really is astounding.

Edited by geriatrickid

Ahh ahhh. I sorta skipped that part and interchanged the 2 things, though I just googled to make sure I actually understand the difference between the 2. With that said, thanks for pointing it out....and with that said, my 3 speculations toward the "unknown cause" have reduced even further.

It is a time for mourning not pointing the finger at someone to blame.

If I had a penny for everytime that statement has been made.

Sure, pointing fingers will not make the person alive again and so forth and one may argue about at least waiting for the corpse to get cold before pointing fingers, but just "dismissing" it like so and not holding the proper person(s) in charge responsible for their potential lack of responsibility isn't going to discourage other people from doing the same (stupid) thing again next time around. Not holding people accountable for their actions creates problems for societies down to an individual level.

This is not to say that it won't happen again, but scare tactics do work on a lot of people and stops "stupid" before it happens.

Thank you for your gracious acceptance of my comment.

I spent many years in the water, motor and sail, even hydro plane and hydrofoil power boats, plus hardcore water skiing for a few decades. Later added some jetski time since they were created, not so much here. Jet skiing in packs or racing in close proximity is one of the more dangerous, racing hydro-plane speed boats being the worse.

All are quite exhilarating and all have risks. I sport 150 stitches and a discectomy from water ski accidents, all from my wild youth. Yet I still think jetskiing in groups is far more risky because of the sheer mass that can hit you in fractions of seconds after a moment of inattention. As happened to this young man.

a severe cut to the face could quite probably be caused by a competition scoop grate fitted to the following ski. ive got cuts from them before as they hang down below the ski to aid loading the pump with water and maintain forward motion.they are long straight blades. i believe some of the newer skis even have rudders now but ive been out of skiing for a decade.

he most likely wasnt wearing a helmet because active riding is as streneous as a fast jog and here in this heat it would be very uncomfortable. try wearing full riding gear on a bike while sitting still n see how much you sweat.

How much you sweat ! OH dear, that's tough, he could have cooled off easy by jumping in the lake. poor excuse for not wearing his helmet.. and if he was racing, as it sounds like with another jetski right behind him,, then a stupid mistake that cost him his life... very sad and pointless..... But is same excuse many bike riders use, too hot or not good for selfies, or messes up my hair. but it's a fact many would not be dead now it they took the time to put one on... sure it wouldn't save every one in every accident, but would save hundreds especially with so many deaths here...