Eat At Miguel's (mexican) California Cafe Or Lose It.

Ulysses G.

I eat at Miguel's 3 or 4 times a week and notice that a lot of former California types frequent it.

It certainly has the best California style Mexican food that I have ever had outside of California and you get Mike to entertain you as a bonus if you hit the place at the right time.

He says that business is too up and down and that he will close it or sell it unless things pick up quickly.

I would hate to lose the place. :o

I eat at Miguel's 3 or 4 times a week and notice that a lot of former California types frequent it.

It certainly has the best California style Mexican food that I have ever had outside of California and you get Mike to entertain you as a bonus if you hit the place at the right time.

He says that business is too up and down and that he will close it or sell it unless things pick up quickly.

Yes, it would be sad to lose it. I agree, it is the top Asian Mexican food I have found.

Outside of the moat, about one block North of Mike's Original Burgers first shop.

Inside the moat, the street is called Moon Muang and Miquel's would be close to Moon Muang Soi 7 or 8, but outside the moat on another street that changes names every few meters.

Right by the old Miami hotel, if you know it.

I only go out to eat a few times a month, and due to the many excellent restaurants here I don't visit them that often.

It's like hel_l's Kitchen, the ribs are great - but how often do I want to eat there?

Chiang Mai has an awful lot of restaurants compared to the potential customers.

This is true, but very few good ones.

It would be a shame to have such a reasonably priced, tasty and unique restaurant go down the toilet when all the cr*p ones hang around forever. :o

It would be a shame to have such a reasonably priced, tasty and unique restaurant go down the toilet when all the cr*p ones hang around forever. :o

I know Mike knows the restaurant game very well, but he hasn't even been open for the busy season yet. Who would open a restaurant in March, and then talk about closing before the high season comes?

I know Mike knows the restaurant game very well, but he hasn't even been open for the busy season yet. Who would open a restaurant in March, and then talk about closing before the high season comes?

I TOTALLY agree, but he says that, "you always know if a restaurant will be a success within 6 months".

Apparently patience isn't his strong point! :D

I don't know if it's just my perception, but there seems to be an explosive increase in all these businesses such as restaurants, bars, hotels etc(in town centre). I think the problem with the city centre ones is that clientele mostly limited to tourist on foot trade. More and more seems to be opening up out of the city and I think we'll see an increase in "with wheels" trade both resident farang, long term tourist and Thai, moving outwards.

I've been to Miguels three times. Once this summer, when things were still rough and it was borderline abysmal, then late Sep., leaps and bounds better. It's just O.K. for me, about an C/C- in LA, but for Thailand that makes it a A- (Mexican food-wise). I agree that Miguel's needs to see how it does through this high season. That being said, it's location is just a bit off for the foot traffic, just a bit past easy walking from Tha Pae (and against the traffic, narrow sidewalk) for the tourists, which I think affects the biz flow.

I do like to have it there as an option, though, so I try to spread the word, too.

Do non-asian ethnic restaurants in Chiang Mai actually have a tourist high season? I would have thought that (genuine) tourists would go for Thai/Asian food on their 2-4 week holliday - except for breakfast and maybe something wellknown from home such as e. g. MacDonald's on a rare occasion.

~

In aviation, a successful landing is said to depend upon "airspeed, airspeed, airspeed".

Similarly, a new restaurant initially depends upon "location, location, location".

As my brilliant Thai wife frequently points out, "If you produce good quality food, eventually you will have to struggle to keep up with the customers lined up at your door but it takes time to establish your reputation." She watches for the really crowded Thai restaurants and makes her always successful choices of new restaurants to try based pretty much on that alone. Allow me to mention that she has vast experience and creates the best Thai cuisine that I have ever had, right here in our own home.

New restaurants seeking to attract foreigners must go with location since most farangs in Thailand are not "locals" and will simply not find you while driving/riding around town.

"Somewhere between Big Bike corner and the old Mike's Hamburgers" just ain't gonna do it for visitors and I would suspect that this place will not be in business much longer.

I will however, try to get my butt down there soon simply because I very much enjoy/miss quality Mexican food.

There have been a number of good reviews of Miguel's on the Good Places to Eat in Chiangmai thread at the top of the Chiangmai Forum, including one I posted in early September. One of the points I made then, and will make again here, is that the margaritas are really great too.

~

In aviation, a successful landing is said to depend upon "airspeed, airspeed, airspeed".

Similarly, a new restaurant initially depends upon "location, location, location".

As my brilliant Thai wife frequently points out, "If you produce good quality food, eventually you will have to struggle to keep up with the customers lined up at your door but it takes time to establish your reputation." She watches for the really crowded Thai restaurants and makes her always successful choices of new restaurants to try based pretty much on that alone. Allow me to mention that she has vast experience and creates the best Thai cuisine that I have ever had, right here in our own home.

New restaurants seeking to attract foreigners must go with location since most farangs in Thailand are not "locals" and will simply not find you while driving/riding around town.

"Somewhere between Big Bike corner and the old Mike's Hamburgers" just ain't gonna do it for visitors and I would suspect that this place will not be in business much longer.

I will however, try to get my butt down there soon simply because I very much enjoy/miss quality Mexican food.

That's a good point, and when you think of the last 4 or 5 places that have been there, none have lasted more than a year or two.. Will that luck hold for Miguels?

~

That's a good point, and when you think of the last 4 or 5 places that have been there, none have lasted more than a year or two.. Will that luck hold for Miguels?

I have been to Miguels 5 times, not bad, but Salsa Kitchen still is the best mexican food in town !!

for Thailand that makes it a A- (Mexican food-wise).

Where in Thailand do they have better (or comprable) Mexican food? :o

After living in San Diego for many years I developed a real taste for good Mexican food and in Thailand it's so difficult to find. In Bangkok there is a Mexican place in the Rebrandt hotel on Soi22 and that's about as good as I have found. In Chiang Mai you could try the Dukes, opposite the Sheraton hotel on the river. Owned by an American guy who has been in the food game a long time, all of his dishes are excellent and really good value for money. Tuesday night is Mexican night and it is good.

for Thailand that makes it a A- (Mexican food-wise).

After living in San Diego for many years I developed a real taste for good Mexican food and in Thailand it's so difficult to find. In Bangkok there is a Mexican place in the Rebrandt hotel on Soi22 and that's about as good as I have found. In Chiang Mai you could try the Dukes, opposite the Sheraton hotel on the river. Owned by an American guy who has been in the food game a long time, all of his dishes are excellent and really good value for money. Tuesday night is Mexican night and it is good.

You must have had a few margaritas the last time you visited if you think the Sheraton is opposite The Dukes!!

Thanks for the recommendations. I will give them a go.

In Chiang Mai you could try the Dukes, opposite the Sheraton hotel on the river

Let me suggest that you take the Sheraton out of your mind... Instead, you will find Dukes just up from T.A.T., near the Iron bridge.

I think that you have not visited either place...

For my money.....

The top restaurant in Chiang Mai, BAR NONE, for the most bang for the baht, is The Duke's !!!

All the food I have eaten, the service, the quality, and the price, give it the GONZO SEAL of APPROVAL.

Now you can take that to the bank. .... and in spite of what people may say, David is a pretty good guy....

David of the Duke's....... David Duke,,,,,, where did I hear that name before.... :o

As Gene Autry used to say,,,,, "Try it , You'll like it""

Gonzo

For my money.....

The top restaurant in Chiang Mai, BAR NONE, for the most bang for the baht, is The Duke's !!!

All the food I have eaten, the service, the quality, and the price, give it the GONZO SEAL of APPROVAL.

Now you can take that to the bank. .... and in spite of what people may say, David is a pretty good guy....

David of the Duke's....... David Duke,,,,,, where did I hear that name before.... :D

As Gene Autry used to say,,,,, "Try it , You'll like it""

Gonzo

Just remember where you heard it first. :o

~

Yes, and we also define any landing that you can walk away from is a good landing! Speaking of walking, my only objection to Miguel's is the inconvieniance of parking....... Food's great, parking sucks!