Eat At Miguel's (mexican) California Cafe Or Lose It.

Ulysses G.

Speaking of walking, my only objection to Miguel's is the inconvieniance of parking....... Food's great, parking sucks!

Good new!

Actually, if you look at the BIG parking lot next to Miguel's on the right hand side when facing it, it has free parking for Miguel's customers and signs verifying this.

For my money.....

The top restaurant in Chiang Mai, BAR NONE, for the most bang for the baht, is The Duke's !!!

All the food I have eaten, the service, the quality, and the price, give it the GONZO SEAL of APPROVAL.

Now you can take that to the bank. .... and in spite of what people may say, David is a pretty good guy....

David of the Duke's....... David Duke,,,,,, where did I hear that name before.... :D

As Gene Autry used to say,,,,, "Try it , You'll like it""

Gonzo

Just remember where you heard it first. :D

UG ...you really should be on commission....I have yet to hear you lambast a restaurant :D

Is there somehwere perchance that you DO NOT LIKE???? :D

PS How is the diet going :o

As my brilliant Thai wife frequently points out, "If you produce good quality food, eventually you will have to struggle to keep up with the customers lined up at your door but it takes time to establish your reputation." She watches for the really crowded Thai restaurants and makes her always successful choices of new restaurants to try based pretty much on that alone. Allow me to mention that she has vast experience and creates the best Thai cuisine that I have ever had, right here in our own home.

Here in the US, my wife thought the same way: give good food and they will come. So she opened a Thai restaurant in a good location and she is one of the better Thai cooks I have encountered. But sorry to say, good food alone is not enough to insure a successful business. What is more important is the total dining experience, an attractive interior, and attractive staff, and some ambiance. Most westerners will forego good food in favor of the total experience which is why so many establishments with only decent, or even mediocre food, thrive and some places with great food whither away.

We just sold her establishment for an acceptable loss to end my nightmare.

UG ...you really should be on commission....I have yet to hear you lambast a restaurant :D

Is there somehwere perchance that you DO NOT LIKE???? :D

PS How is the diet going :o

The diet is kaput.

I honestly try not to be too critical of restaurants here as I lived many years in San Francisco - which has some of the best restaurants it the world - and I can't expect that kind of quality in these parts. Part of my job at that time was to recommend eating places and I got free meals at the best places all of the time.

Also, I own a business myself and know that it is not nice to mess with someone's livelyhood and even if I don't like a place, maybe other people do.

However, if you read between the lines, you might deduce that I don't like most of the restaraunts that I don't talk about here (other than Fuji and Zen which are my two favorite Japanese places, but I usually forget to mention them for some reason).

I've been eating at MIGUEL'S about once or twice a week the past couple of months since reading about it on this board. Would hate to see it go. I especially like that they recently changed from shredded beef to ground beef. They also have great fish tacos!

I actually like their location...what was there before?

I especially like that they recently changed from shredded beef to ground beef

Disappointing news...

I'm guessing he switched from shredded beef because it came out really dry.

I'm guessing that it was due to cost. Shredded beef is 100% beef, but ground beef is what... 50% FATT??

I especially like that they recently changed from shredded beef to ground beef

Disappointing news...

I'm guessing he switched from shredded beef because it came out really dry.

I'm guessing that it was due to cost. Shredded beef is 100% beef, but ground beef is what... 50% FATT??

The fat is what keeps the meat moist .... :o

Hello,

I like the place and eat there about once a month and I would hate to lose it as well. Now that its cool I will be going there more. To be honest I am still addicted to my AC and when its hot out its just not comfortable there. I would go there more if it was cooled down a bit.. I suppose if they have a phone number and would take orders over the phone I could go and pick it up even when its hot. Yes yes.. I know I live here in Thailand but my body still thinks I am living in Santa Monica. :o

Edited by swain

Hello,

I like the place and eat there about once a month and I would hate to lose it as well. Now that its cool I will be going there more. To be honest I am still addicted to my AC and when its hot out its just not comfortable there. I would go there more if it was cooled down a bit.. I suppose if they have a phone number and would take orders over the phone I could go and pick it up even when its hot. Yes yes.. I know I live here in Thailand but my body still thinks I am living in Santa Monica. :o

I was in Santa Monica last month (doing trade show in LA), had pizza at Dagwoods (Venice really), pretty good (even by picky NY standards).

I tried the sloppy joe, to test the new ground (minced) beef, and it was great. Not the "Sloppy Joe" from my Chicago days, but an open faced sandwich on a decent roll/bun, topped with sour cream, just tangy enough to be "Mexican" without burning my mouth. Yes, 30 baht for a can of Coke Light is heavy.

I don't live near there, so I have to be in the neighborhood. And since I'm more used to Tex-Mex, it's not exactly my style, but I enjoy eating there.