Postpaid or Prepaid for AIS sim card?

jiangaq

As I am now out of Thailand in a long run, but I need to get OTP message from Thai bank. Normally, I'm using AIS postpaid 2xx baht package which is the cheapest postpaid package that I can apply, is there any other solution to reduce the cost?

Or how about I change to prepaid and just leave a few money in the account, will it be expire if using prepaid solution?

Thanks!

AIS prepaid lasts 12 months from last top up.

And if you're out of Thailand for longer than 12 months, you can top it up online from some Thai banks - SCB for example. Do make sure AIS set your international roaming on - just call them on 1175 if you're not sure - I've found them to be very helpful.

Edit: Just noticed that you're already out of Thailand - go to their website http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/postpaid/smart-roaming-menu.aspx?language=en and call on the call centre number you find there.

Edited by VBF

And if you're out of Thailand for longer than 12 months, you can top it up online from some Thai banks - SCB for example. Do make sure AIS set your international roaming on - just call them on 1175 if you're not sure - I've found them to be very helpful.

Edit: Just noticed that you're already out of Thailand - go to their website http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/postpaid/smart-roaming-menu.aspx?language=en and call on the call centre number you find there.

Actually, I do like this, I top up every month 220baht to my postpaid account. If I switch to prepaid account, top up 500baht or something like that, what time expire for my top-up, is it possible? coz i think 220baht every month is too much for me to just receive some SMS ;)

You will normally not get a post paid account unless you have a work permit. On the other hand, top-up can be done on the website by using a credit card.

I already get postpaid account. What if switch to prepaid account, then top up a few money, how long will be expire? Can I also top up via online thai bank for my prepaid account like what I do for postpaid account?

No, it doesn't. For AIS a top up of 50B adds validity of one month up to a maximum of 12 months. That is if you top up 12 x 50B separately. Higher amounts add I think up to 90 days maximum, but this have to check for a particular promotion.

With TRUE there is a specific code where you can use a small amount of money to extend the validity. 3B give you 30 days, also up to 365 days maximum. I think it was *9344. As TRUE has the better network I'd just go for the latter.

AIS postpaid a/c gives me a credit of ~1,000 bt to allow for non-payment/extra charges ... I'm on 199 plan with one phone and 299 the other, both have the same credit buffer to allow for things such as travel.

That happens if your remaining validity is still close to a year and you top up. It will add the new validity on top of the previous one. So if you had let's say 9 months left and you top up adding another 90 days you have a full year again. But that depends on your promotion.

I am a modest user of an AIS phone, modest number of SMSs too.

Don't use internet via the phone except WIFI.

I'm not sure but I think a call costs 3 bt/minute and SMSs a similar amount.......correct?

So a ten minute call's up towards 30 baht?

Now I use LINe quite often I'm starting to begrudge that.

I occasionally see an offer by SMS but whats the best deal where I just stick with one package......is there one?

Thanks!

The actual cost per minute depends on the promotion you have subscribed to and Thai operators have a real way of offering a maze of countless, ever-changing promotions.

Anyway, if you pay anything more than 1B/mn for domestic calls, you should find out a better promotion depending on your needs.

Good luck, it can be a full-time job. If you have access to a Thai under 30 yo, ask him/her. They're really good at keeping up.

AIS and DTAC (I don't use True) have half-decent web sites in English now that can help you choose among the offered promotions.

Edited by Lannig

No, it doesn't. For AIS a top up of 50B adds validity of one month up to a maximum of 12 months. That is if you top up 12 x 50B separately. Higher amounts add I think up to 90 days maximum, but this have to check for a particular promotion.

With TRUE there is a specific code where you can use a small amount of money to extend the validity. 3B give you 30 days, also up to 365 days maximum. I think it was *9344. As TRUE has the better network I'd just go for the latter.

The following is what I learned from a conversation with AIS 14-2-16 and what I subsequently actually DID:

Top up < 150 Baht extends validity by 30 days (Applies to top up at AIS or 7/11, Family Mart etc) – See Note

Top up > 150 Baht extends validity by 60 days (Applies to top up at AIS or 7/11, Family Mart etc) – See Note

Maximum validity is 1 year

Top up online using card requires Thai bank credit card with minimum = 100 Baht

Cannot use my SCB card online because it’s not a credit card but set up using SCB Easy channel

17-02-2016 – topped up 50 Baht from SCB and got an additional 30 days as expected (see above)

20-02-2016 – topped up 150 Baht from SCB and got an additional 30 days as expected (see above)

Note: Must be more than not equal to 150 Baht to get 60 days. Can do multiple top ups, so 50+50+50 would get 90 days extension of validity. Similarly, when in Thailand, 20+20+20 at 7/11 machine would get 90 days.

The lowest you can do online is 50B, this adds 30 days. As I wrote you can do this 12 times to come to a one year validity. That's the cheapest option as higher topup amounts do not add validity progressively. Or just get a TRUE SIM and pay 36B for a whole year.

You will normally not get a post paid account unless you have a work permit. On the other hand, top-up can be done on the website by using a credit card.

I already get postpaid account. What if switch to prepaid account, then top up a few money, how long will be expire? Can I also top up via online thai bank for my prepaid account like what I do for postpaid account?
Yes

50baht top up? Good grief. Welcome to the Farang poverty forum.

You probably missed the point. It's about validity, not balance. If one wants to top up remotely/from abroad, thus through online banking (to not lose the number) the cheapest option for AIS is 12 x 50B which leads to 365 days of validity. Alternatively a one time topup of equal 600B will give you something like 3 months, depending on promotion, could also be less.

TRUE offers a validity extension using the existing balance that cost 3B per month or 36B for a whole year and may be the better option. The SIM/number could survive almost 3 years with a single topup of 100B before leaving Thailand and yearly extension of validity before expiry.

• 4 weeks later...

One more option and probably the cheapest to extend SIM validity - the orange top up machines in front of every 7/11. The minimum possible topup amount is 10B + a fee of 2B. This gives you 10B balance and 30 days for 2B. Or 1 Year for 24B, can't beat that.