Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 III

• 1 month later...

Yes it has a lot going for it expect the price; 1500$, all the reviews I read are mostly very positive if you need the 600mm tele and don't want to change lens on a mirror-less or DSLR system and perhaps miss the shot. 600mm lenses for a dslr will cost you top$

I have a RX100 III and I love it except the menu system which is somewhat overwhelming/confusing but the IQ is pretty good for my needs, same 1" sensor I think. I use the RX much more than my Fuji Xpro1 because it's so small and can sit in a belt bag next to my smart phone.

Don't forget the new Nikon DL24-500 is soon coming out for around 1000$, also 1" sensor.

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/products/nikon-dl-24-500-review

I have a Olympus Stylus1 which goes up to 300mm but I found the sensor too small and not enough zoom in some cases. Somebody says use your feet and not a zoom but that is impossible if a small bird is sitting high up in a tree or you are at a superbike race, you can't get any closer and need the zoom.

The RX10 III is high on my wishlist but hope it will drop in prize perhaps next year but don't count on it and will also wait for more reviews of the Nikon 24-500 before making up my mind.

Thank u guzzi850m2 ;

Cannot see if the new Nikon DL 24-500 is water and dust resistant as the Sony is .

For me who cycle often on red roads in Thailand it's essential .

No it's not, but even with your cycling that would not hold me back if I was you, just put it in a water proof bag and save yourself 500$.

The waterproofing on the Sony is something to be careful about, it's not like you can use it during Songkla water festival, it's not that waterproof.

Well as mentioned the Nikon is not released yet, so we will have to wait and see how the 2 compares, but 500$ is a lot of money for most so the Sony has to have way better IQ if the 500$ can be justified as the Nikon got touch screen, more burst frames per sec, bluetooth and perhaps better macro too but okay the Sony has 100mm more reach. Some are also complaining about the Sony's poor focus on moving objects when using the zoom.

Maybe, maybe I shall buy this new Nikon ( f2,8-5,6 ),, you are right, 500 US dollars less expensive isn't nothing ! even it's not water and dust resistant;

I had a Nikon E4500, 4 Mpixels only ; that is not the most important; I remember I can shot very beautiful photos with it ;

About Songkhran , I have my Oly TG 860 which is waterproof thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

These kinds of cameras are great for travel, versatile, have a huge fun factor, and allow you to take great pictures simply because it's easy to have with you and grab them to shoot immediately, at anytime, with everything you need in a rather small and light package (compared to DSLR + lenses).

But the sensor is still one of an expert compact and significantly smaller than one of an entry level DSLR. In most conditions it won't make a difference, but it will limit you in low light or if you want to play with the depth of field.

In my opinion, the Sony does not compare to a DSLR because they're for different uses and different users, and compared to its bridge competitors, its more advanced specs do not justify the huge price hike. I don't think there's a shot you'll take with the Sony that you won't be able to get with the Panasonic (even 400 vs 600mm isn't a huge difference in real life).

Unless you've decided to really (really really) treat yourself, I'd go with a (much) cheaper option that will achieve 99% of what the Sony does. While if you're willing to step up and invest that much money, entry level DSLR + lens are already available in that price range, they'll allow more technical complicated shots, but the versatility and fun factor may be less.

(This opinion is completely subjective).

I would suggest that an "entry level DSLR + lens" is less technically complex than the Sony. The options available on the RX10/100 for both photos and video are staggering. This could be seen as a positive or negative depending on your needs; but they blow away a DSLR in terms of options and opportunities for fun (slow motion video anyone?).

Yes, low light performance can be an issue; but F2.8 at all focal lengths plus image stabilisation means you can shoot at lower ISO than a DSLR; and depth of field is not an issue. Here's one in low light from the RX100:

21978884912_9bcb16663d_b.jpgDSC01332-2 by Spike Tennyson, on Flickr

Yes maybe not entry level but RX10-3 cost 58K last time I saw it in a store, I'm not sure that's much less than a 7D or even a 6D with kit lens.

I had a G7X which uses the same sensor and indeed the images were great, most of my travel pics are taken with it and it's been entirely satisfying. However at f1.8 I still find the overall quality and low light performance were somewhat under APS-C sensor, even at smaller aperture, nothing drastic but still visible when editing the pictures (I'm finicky though).

Yes maybe not entry level but RX10-3 cost 58K last time I saw it in a store, I'm not sure that's much less than a 7D or even a 6D with kit lens.

I had a G7X which uses the same sensor and indeed the images were great, most of my travel pics are taken with it and it's been entirely satisfying. However at f1.8 I still find the overall quality and low light performance were somewhat under APS-C sensor, even at smaller aperture, nothing drastic but still visible when editing the pictures (I'm finicky though).

It is an extremely hard choice, you can get quite a lot of photo kit for 1500$~52k baht, so it is something you really have to think very hard about.

I bought an Fuji XPro1 (used) for 400$~14K baht last year + a used XF18-55mm kit lens for 9000 baht= 23k baht, so still well under 1/2 of the RX10 mk3, but okay way under the 600mm zoom lens reach. I have added more lenses; 18mm & 27mm XF new lenses as Big Camera sold them for 7000k baht a pop and still we are well under the RX10-3 new price. Fuji makes a 50-230mm (75-350mm 35mm terms) zoom that sells for about 5000 baht in Hong Kong via Ebay. If I buy that lens we are taking about 42k baht total for my Fuji photo gear.

Now lets say my XPro1 brakes down (heaven forbid). I can go out looking for another Fuji body (new or used) and I am back in business with my lenses.

If the RX10-3 brakes down, you are fxxxxx until you get it back from a very likely very costly repair and how long time for getting it fixed: 1 month? or 2? A disaster if you are on the way to Himalaya for you lifelong dream trekking trip.

Yes agreed the much bigger APS-C sensor is a class above the 1" in all regards. Don't get me wrong, I love my little RX100 mk3 but when you get over iso2000 it starts to struggle.

I knew I wrote that I would like to have a RX10 mk3, well I still do but it's not very often I need all that reach and I just love operating the XPro1 so I will put it on halt for now and stick to what I have.

I might change my mind again, I do that often with my wishlist photo gear (GAS), ha-ha, but the Fuji& RX100 will never be sold, they are too dear to me. My dry cabinet is getting crowded but there are still spacewhistling.gif

It is an extremely hard choice, you can get quite a lot of photo kit for 1500$~52k baht, so it is something you really have to think very hard about.

I bought an Fuji XPro1 (used) for 400$~14K baht last year + a used XF18-55mm kit lens for 9000 baht= 23k baht, so still well under 1/2 of the RX10 mk3, but okay way under the 600mm zoom lens reach. I have added more lenses; 18mm & 27mm XF new lenses as Big Camera sold them for 7000k baht a pop and still we are well under the RX10-3 new price. Fuji makes a 50-230mm (75-350mm 35mm terms) zoom that sells for about 5000 baht in Hong Kong via Ebay. If I buy that lens we are taking about 42k baht total for my Fuji photo gear.

Now lets say my XPro1 brakes down (heaven forbid). I can go out looking for another Fuji body (new or used) and I am back in business with my lenses.

If the RX10-3 brakes down, you are fxxxxx until you get it back from a very likely very costly repair and how long time for getting it fixed: 1 month? or 2? A disaster if you are on the way to Himalaya for you lifelong dream trekking trip.

Yes agreed the much bigger APS-C sensor is a class above the 1" in all regards. Don't get me wrong, I love my little RX100 mk3 but when you get over iso2000 it starts to struggle.

I knew I wrote that I would like to have a RX10 mk3, well I still do but it's not very often I need all that reach and I just love operating the XPro1 so I will put it on halt for now and stick to what I have.

I might change my mind again, I do that often with my wishlist photo gear (GAS), ha-ha, but the Fuji& RX100 will never be sold, they are too dear to me. My dry cabinet is getting crowded but there are still spacewhistling.gif

600mm is fun to play with but in real life photography, unless you're shooting African wildlife or birds (which is already hard with a fast-focusing DSLR so not sure how the RX10 performs there), I don't think that's a crucial focal length to have.

Actually I did go on a trek in the Himalaya earlier this year, had my DSLR and a G7X, which is Canon version of the RX100, it worked quite well, I never felt the need for more reach, the only thing I may have missed would be a camera smaller than the DSLR but with better image quality than the G7X... the Fuji seems like a good compromise in that regards.

27693817016_3e5f849a5d.jpg

Archived