Review : SETV - SAVANNAKHET, LAO PDR

Just so people know.... it is possible to get a Laos visa on arrival in the airport in SAVANNAKHET if you arrive by air.There are daily flights from Bangkok

However, those flights arrive to late to get to the Thai consulate in time to turn in your application that morning....so it will require another day stay in SAVANNAKHET by air.

However, it is possible.

• Like 2

excellent report, thanks for taking the time to share it.

just one point. am i right in saying that you can only get on the international bus from mukdahan -savannakhet

if you already have a valid loas visa i.e. you did not get one before hand in bangkok.

as is the case if you want to board one in either khon kaen, udon thani or nong khai when heading to vientiene.

there is also a loas consulate in khon kaen, usualy in and out in 15 mins, if you happen to be in the area.

• Like 1

Yes OP, Thanks for taking the time to post such a well put together report.

Just one question..i am right in reading you now have to have copies of EVERY single passport page?

Or just the info page, current visa stamp etc?

Also maybe you could give some idea of the plane ticket cost?

Seeing S'Khet is a bit closer to BKK,

for the sake of saving a few hours, i think id rather just chill in an aircon bus all the way to Mukdahan, instead of the trouble of going through Udon airport and then having to arrange travel the Mook another 2.5 hours

• Like 1

Just one question..i am right in reading you now have to have copies of EVERY single passport page?

Say it ain't so. I have a 50 page passport..

Edited by csabo
  • Like 2

Thanks for the info...........Very useful.

I did not think 3 months bank statements were required for a SETV. Can you confirm if they are in Savannakhet or if you submitted them just in case they were required? Similarly, as someone asked above about copies of pages of passport stamps; Were they required or did u submit them just in case?

Can anyone confirm if u can get on the International bus at Mukdahan without a Laos visa and buy it at the bridge as u can at Nakhon Phanom for Thakhek but cannot from Udon Thani for Vientianne?

Edited by SunsetT
  • Like 2

3 months bank statements are a requirement for the METV which, I believe, may only be applied for in ones home country.

Where did you get the information that they were required for an SETV?

• Like 1

Certainly don't require bank statements for SETV.

A Laos visa on arrival can also be paid for in US dollars for example 35 dollars for a UK citizen, which can trim a couple of hundred from the border price of 1500 baht .

The 40 baht Laos border fee is not compulsory its just a little add on they try for and can be donated or not at your own discretion.

• Like 1

excellent report, thanks for taking the time to share it.

just one point. am i right in saying that you can only get on the international bus from mukdahan -savannakhet

if you already have a valid loas visa i.e. you did not get one before hand in bangkok.

as is the case if you want to board one in either khon kaen, udon thani or nong khai when heading to vientiene.

there is also a loas consulate in khon kaen, usualy in and out in 15 mins, if you happen to be in the area.

Thank you Jerrybeirne.

As far as we know, the international bus only operate from Mukdahan - Savannakhet.

SunsetT, on 09 Jun 2016 - 15:13, said:

I did not think 3 months bank statements were required for a SETV. Can you confirm if they are in Savannakhet or if you submitted them just in case they were required? Similarly, as someone asked above about copies of pages of passport stamps; Were they required or did u submit them just in case?

Can anyone confirm if u can get on the International bus at Mukdahan without a Laos visa and buy it at the bridge as u can at Nakhon Phanom for Thakhek but cannot from Udon Thani for Vientianne?

Yes you can get the Mukdahan bus station to Savannkhet bus station bus and buy your visa at the border which is cheaper if you pay in US dollars can save the price of a meal and a couple of beers............... in the many times I have done this trip this cross border bus always waits.

But as you mentioned the international buses from Khon Kaen and Udon etc do normally require you to have a visa already as they don't want to wait about.

• Like 2

Information About Travelling From Bangkok – Mukdahan by the bus

• The journey from Bangkok to Mukdahan is about 645 km or 400 miles, 10 hours approximately.

Bus companies who operate the route Bangkok – Mukdahan

1.) Bor Kor Sor (Transport Co., Ltd.)
Contact No. 02-8721777

Email : [email protected]

How to pay : Counter Service at 7-11

24lk19i.jpg

2.) Nakhonchai Air

Contact No. 1624 (Call Centre)

Online Booking To change language, click top right of your screen

Note : For online booking you will have to book within 12 hours before departure and make a payment within 3 hours after receiving a code.

2qd1rg2.jpg

3.) Sombat Tour

Contact No. 1215 Or 02-030-4999

Note : You can book a ticket up to 1 year in advance but will need to book via call centre, Sombat Tour Company or Sombat Tour Agents.

2z8qbmp.jpg

Or you can visit TTM (Thaiticket Major) for more options.

(Please note that the reviewer did research for information only but did not travel by the bus to Mukdahan, you should re-check the fare, timetable with the bus company again)

Edited by jellybunny
  • Like 1

for the sake of saving a few hours, i think id rather just chill in an aircon bus all the way to Mukdahan, instead of the trouble of going through Udon airport and then having to arrange travel the Mook another 2.5 hours

You don't have to have copies of all pages, they didn't take those documents but we prepared them, just in case.

But they took copies of data page, Laos immigration stamp and Laos visa page.

The return tickets (BKK-Ubon Ratchathani-BKK) cost about 1,8xx Baht.

Please check more information about travelling by a bus from BKK - Mukdahan we just posted.

• Like 1

Bank statements are not required but we prepared them just in case and they took them.

See attached official document, 2nd page, 4.2, from The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Savannakhet. They do not require bank statements for SETV.

Regarding to a Laos visa, you can buy the international bus ticket and get on it without a Laos visa. When you are at Laos immigration, you can get visa on arrival there.

Laos_SVK_VisaForm.PDF

• Like 2

3 months bank statements are a requirement for the METV which, I believe, may only be applied for in ones home country.

Where did you get the information that they were required for an SETV?

They do not require bank statements for SETV but we prepared them, just in case. When we submitted the documents we prepared, they also took bank statements that's all. smile.png

Awesome post with lots of great detail, thank you a lot!

Questions:

1) I hear a lot about people taking the bus over. But I also hear one can fly. Is the reason to take the bus to avoid staying an extra day? (In which case, I guess they are on the super early first bus out of Ubon Ratchathani)? If you were happy to spend a few days there anyways, how does the route via flying look? (Anyone have tips / trip report on that).

2) Can you get an SETV instead of an METV without being a Laos? (I'm presuming not, but just want to check)

Thank you.

Bank statements are not required but we prepared them just in case and they took them.

See attached official document, 2nd page, 4.2, from The Royal Thai Consulate-General, Savannakhet. They do not require bank statements for SETV.

Regarding to a Laos visa, you can buy the international bus ticket and get on it without a Laos visa. When you are at Laos immigration, you can get visa on arrival there.

Thank you.

One point......It would not be wise to give Thai bank statements as your status as a 'Tourist' could be questioned.

• Like 2

You don't have to have copies of all pages, they didn't take those documents but we prepared them, just in case.

But they took copies of data page, Laos immigration stamp and Laos visa page.

The return tickets (BKK-Ubon Ratchathani-BKK) cost about 1,8xx Baht.

Please check more information about travelling by a bus from BKK - Mukdahan we just posted.

thanks..all very helpful

I was in Savhannaket in April...

Visa application submission starts at 8:30. NOT 9. If you get there at 7, you will be the first one and you can sit under a roof, to avoid sun or rain. If you come at 8:30. There will already be 100 peoples waiting on the street without any protection from the sun or rain and you will wait a looong time... So better go there at 7 so you can sit and wait under a roof (small roof near the outdoor door).

They asks only for 1000 bahts... and the passport, the completed form, a single copy of the passport (name page) and 1 or 2 photo(s).

The officer check very quickly EVERY pages of your passport. Just to check how many Thai visa you already got. That's my guess. Because he got through ALL the pages and very quickly, just allowing him to see the color of the Thai visas to count them.

NEXT DAY passport collection. NOT same day.

Starts at 14:00

Don't bother going there early.

Just go at 15:00 and you will be alone.

If you go at 14:00 you will wait 30 minutes with the crowd.

At 15 you'll be alone...

A lot of wrong information in this post. Or did it change in 2 months?? ...

PS: Also, a funny thing. I always paid 1200 bahts for the Laos On Arrival Visa. If they ask 1500, tell them that you read on Internet that it is 1200. They will say no. But insist... And then the guy will start to say "oh yeah, it's because there are 2 prices..."... or whatever he spoke... Then I explained to my Thai gf that the 300 bahts would end into his own pocket... the officer heard and said "no... no... no......". Anyway I saved 300 bahts. I guess a one day work salary for him...

Edited by alexlm

"PS: Also, a funny thing. I always paid 1200 bahts for the Laos On Arrival Visa. If they ask 1500, tell them that you read on Internet that it is 1200. They will say no. But insist... And then the guy will start to say "oh yeah, it's because there are 2 prices..."... or whatever he spoke... Then I explained to my Thai gf that the 300 bahts would end into his own pocket... the officer heard and said "no... no... no......". Anyway I saved 300 bahts. I guess a one day work salary for him..."

You have a French passport, that is why your visa for Laos was cheaper, the officer quoted you the price for USA/UK passport holders.

• Like 1

Sorry but giving bank statement when Savannakhet does not require it, makes it extra difficult for the next person who did not take them.

Also a Lao visa is 1000 THB and not 1500 if you prepare you fee in dollars.