Grounding my Ethernet switch

Berty100

I am replacing the Ethernet switch that was hit by lightning recently.

The power cable has a 3 prong plug at both ends

Additionally on the backside of the housing is a screw that says " switch gnd".

Should this ground also be connected even if the plug is already in a grounded socket?

Can I connect this ground to any ground connection in a nearby socket or plug from another device?

Check if the plug ground is connected to the extra terminal. If it is there's no need to do anything extra. If it's not then I would be running a ground wire to the 3rd plug pin.

What does the manual have to say on the subject?

EDIT This Cisco installation manual says to connect to the rack metalwork http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me2400/hardware/installation/guide/2400hig/HGDCPWR.html#wp1013638

Check if the plug ground is connected to the extra terminal. If it is there's no need to do anything extra. If it's not then I would be running a ground wire to the 3rd plug pin.

What does the manual have to say on the subject?

EDIT This Cisco installation manual says to connect to the rack metalwork http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/metro/me2400/hardware/installation/guide/2400hig/HGDCPWR.html#wp1013638

The ground in the plug goes to a connector on the pcb.

The ground screw on the back is not connected to anything.

The manual doesn't make any mention of the additional ground screw

In that case I would run a wire from the additional ground screw to your mains ground.

Can I instead use the ground in any nearby socket? Or may be the ground of the socket in which the switch is plugged?

Edited by Berty100

In that case I would run a wire from the additional ground screw to your mains ground.

Can I instead use the ground in any nearby socket? Or may be the ground of the socket in which the switch is plugged?

Yup, that's really what I meant (sorry for the lack of clarity) probably best to use the outlet the switch is plugged in to.