Jools to close after nearly 30 years

rott

Nana is on borrowed time. Ride the BTS from Siam to Phrom Phong - all the other stations have modern developments and fancy shopping malls. Nana is like the one bad tooth in an otherwise perfect smile. Sooner or later it's bound to get fixed.

As long as they leave Soi 11 alone we are good..........

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A great shame.

I remember with great fondness my early days of 'expathood' in BKK, spending many a Friday evening/night in there and Chequers. I learned a lot in there and there were some real characters there too.

Nice to see the imbecile 'sexpat' pontificators, who probably never set foot in the place, are out, no doubt fresh from a night's drinking urine warm Leo before snuggling up to 'Tee Rak' (if she came home from visiting her 'brother' that is).....

Ha, ha, surprise you have any memory at all while under the influence.....from all that warm piss you seem to enjoy? I'm sure you will find another rock to hide under soon? :-)

Nana is on borrowed time. Ride the BTS from Siam to Phrom Phong - all the other stations have modern developments and fancy shopping malls. Nana is like the one bad tooth in an otherwise perfect smile. Sooner or later it's bound to get fixed.

As long as they leave Soi 11 alone we are good..........

I guess you haven't seen the news.

A pitch black day for the sexpat community in Bangkok

Stupid comment that really.

Obviously never been in the bar.

i

Yes I have once. Caters for the same type of clients as the rest of soi 4.

Would love to have been in the place a few years ago if you appeared and started making comments on those lines.

The place I remember was widely known outside Thailand and it would surprise you who would drop in for a drink, Robin Williams for one I remember, I should explain to you it's not the pop star FW that you are thinking about.

its always the landlords fault but not the greedy operators.....nobody every thought about that but yea rent is becoming ridiculous - no not really, its because the economy is bad too

Not sure but I get the impression that this is for sure one country where no matter if the economy is improving, getting worse or is stagnant the thought process is that prices in bars and rents for bars must increase by a minimum of 10% every year.

Been coming to Nana for almost 20 years and never even heard of the spot????

Sexpats say woo, woo! ???

I have been coming for 30+ and have been there.

You would have to walk past Nana Entertainment Plaza.

It was always a great place to grab a beer and a chat. Some very interesting people over the years. This is happening everywhere now- the rents are going up and the landlords will not bargain. the whole Nana plaza area is on borrowed time as the location is prime for a hotel/mall complex. Another area on borrowed time is Cowboy- everyone wants to sell out before the hammer falls. The same mindset exists that just kills business. When the customers fall off they raise prices. As many years as I have been here- I cannot figure out the psyche behind this. Soi 33 is headed down the same road also. Stopped in a place a few weeks back that wanted 199 Baht for a small beer when just down the road- an Aussie owned bar was selling a large pint for 99 Baht and plenty of business.

its always the landlords fault but not the greedy operators.....nobody every thought about that but yea rent is becoming ridiculous - no not really, its because the economy is bad too

Not sure but I get the impression that this is for sure one country where no matter if the economy is improving, getting worse or is stagnant the thought process is that prices in bars and rents for bars must increase by a minimum of 10% every year.

Many restaurants/bars sign 5-10 year contracts depending on the size of space you are renting, rates are generally fixed until the next renewal. Unless stated otherwise such as 3-5% every 3 years or such. Small space may have yearly contract due to the lower startup costs. Increase 10% every year is inaccurate. But rental has jumped a lot this past decade due to increasing land prices.

Thais sure are good at killing the golden goose, this seems to always go on when lease is renewed,

I think you mean goose that lays the golden eggs; the goose itself was not golden.

Or maybe you did mean golden goose, meaning poultry that produce little despite being visually attractive, and are worth far more when slaughtered and melted down for their metal value (or land value in this case) than when they are alive.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much of a golden goose small pubs are. If they were that profitable, they would open up in the malls and high-rent areas as well.

My three favourite open-air Thai eating places in that part of town have gone the way of construction sites; I imagine that the land-owners think an upmarket high-rise development will generate more income than a cheap beer and food place - even one popular with tourists and ex-pats.

SC

Thais sure are good at killing the golden goose, this seems to always go on when lease is renewed,

I think you mean goose that lays the golden eggs; the goose itself was not golden.

Or maybe you did mean golden goose, meaning poultry that produce little despite being visually attractive, and are worth far more when slaughtered and melted down for their metal value (or land value in this case) than when they are alive.

Anyway, I'm not sure how much of a golden goose small pubs are. If they were that profitable, they would open up in the malls and high-rent areas as well.

My three favourite open-air Thai eating places in that part of town have gone the way of construction sites; I imagine that the land-owners think an upmarket high-rise development will generate more income than a cheap beer and food place - even one popular with tourists and ex-pats.

SC

Ours is just to sit back think and wonder.

Can't really imagine in 30 years the older guys who will be in their 60's writing things on the lines of 'terrible, my favourite Mall is closing down'.

Anyway for one I'm happy to have seen the places I've seen, good and bad over the past 26 years here.

Wish I'd arrived 20 years before.

Really? Have you ever been to Jools?

I haven't been for several years but it was a good bar with excellent food at reasonable prices.

Jools, the Bus Stop, the Swiss place and several more provide a welcome respite from the crush, noise and girls in the Nana Plaza area. Somewhere you could have a quiet drink and eat good food at good prices.

Been coming to Nana for almost 20 years and never even heard of the spot????

Sexpats say woo, woo! ???

I have been coming for 30+ and have been there.

You would have to walk past Nana Entertainment Plaza.

That would be very difficult for some posters on this thread.

If you visited once I'm sure you are far better informed than those of us who used to visit regularly.

Really? Have you ever been to Jools?

I haven't been for several years but it was a good bar with excellent food at reasonable prices.

Jools, the Bus Stop, the Swiss place and several more provide a welcome respite from the crush, noise and girls in the Nana Plaza area. Somewhere you could have a quiet drink and eat good food at good prices.

Shh he's been once and declared it a sexpat bar.

We are not worthy. :lol:

Jools bar is not closing, merely relocating to Sang Sem road in September. However the reason for the move is because of the unreasonable increase in the rent.

Sorry to ask but where is Sang Sem road.

Hope all goes well with the move.

Edited by overherebc

If you visited once I'm sure you are far better informed than those of us who used to visit regularly.

Once was more than enough. Glad it's going away as are the rest of the filth magnets in Nana.

Don't despair though, there will still be places for you and your fellows in Patong and Pats in the foreseeable future.

My local isn't going anywhere ThailandLOS.

Nice of you to show concern but really you are just coming across as a noob of the highest order here.

Keep it up...we're all enjoying it...your new Nick should be "Sideshow Bob". :D

Once was more than enough. Glad it's going away as are the rest of the filth magnets in Nana.

Don't despair though, there will still be places for you and your fellows in Patong and Pats in the foreseeable future.

You really need to work on your troll skills.

Try adding some facts, that you can make up as you go along, it might make it more interesting and we would at least get a better laugh out of your posts.

Glad to assist.

Didn't have a good experience in this place. Once I came there it was FULL of drunk farangs with hookers and very loud. Sertanly not a place for family dinner, not for mine at least.

If you 'came' there it couldn't have been that bad ?

Yeah maybe have to check it out again

Didn't have a good experience in this place. Once I came there it was FULL of drunk farangs with hookers and very loud. Sertanly not a place for family dinner, not for mine at least.

Spot on mate, it's a warm up boozer for the fish & chips beer bellies soon to move on to Nana Plaza 2nd floor to pay the lads in dresses a visit.

Thank God the filth zones around Suk are rapidly shrinking, with Nana & Cowboy cleaned up it will be less attractive for the old overweight hooker consumers. Most probably they will carry on to Cambo, as it caters especially for ppl with their limited financial resources.

Btw, sharing a fish & chips with hookers is their idea of a family dinner.

Edited by ThailandLOS

Spot on mate, it's a warm up boozer for the fish & chips beer bellies soon to move on to Nana Plaza 2nd floor to pay the lads in dresses a visit.

Thank God the filth zones around Suk are rapidly shrinking, with Nana & Cowboy cleaned up it will be less attractive for the old overweight hooker consumers. Most probably they will carry on to Cambo, as it caters especially for ppl with their limited financial resources.

Btw, sharing a fish & chips with hookers is their idea of a family dinner.

I give in and bow to your vast vacuum of knowledge on the Bangkok sleaze life.