Windows computer/switch to Linux

A1Str8

There is a computer that used to have an activated and registered genuine windows on it.

Question 1. That means the software could be tied to an individual, but what about the hardware? Can that be linked too because of the reg?

Question 2. If this computer doesn't run the aforementioned windows anymore, but Linux, can the computer still be tied to an individual because of the windows or replacing it solves this issue?

Thank you

The ardware has nothing to do with the windows license, you are free to replace which ever part you want.

Once you replace the OS as you are not longer using Windows but Linux which is free and open source you have no ties to worry about.

Sounds like you are interested in whether the pc can be uniquely identified despite new os.

If so windows gone solves part, most hardware doesn't communicate serial numbers, but network devices such as wifi and network plugs will have Mac address the same on Linux as it was under Windows.

Sounds like you are interested in whether the pc can be uniquely identified despite new os.

If so windows gone solves part, most hardware doesn't communicate serial numbers, but network devices such as wifi and network plugs will have Mac address the same on Linux as it was under Windows.

Yeah, I am specifically interested in whether the hardware could be uniquely identified.

I thought about the same, that the MAC remains unchanged and that is communicated to win servers.

The ardware has nothing to do with the windows license, you are free to replace which ever part you want.

Once you replace the OS as you are not longer using Windows but Linux which is free and open source you have no ties to worry about.

Not quite true about replacing and or upgrading parts it depends on the version of windows and if its an OEM version.

Not quite true about replacing and or upgrading parts it depends on the version of windows and if its an OEM version.

I have been swapping around and replacing parts since XP was around and I have never had an issue. OEM again is not an issue, as long as you have the right driver according with the hardware you are installing your machine is fine. As I understand, the topic here is different, not being detected is one specific thing, I was only pointing to the fact that the machine will work just as fine if you replace internal parts or its OS.

On another note, unless you are planning to take done the ISS from space with that computer I doubt that Microsoft will care of pinging your Network Card and checking you up, with billions of PC in use everyday it would be quite a task for them and not a really rewarding one.

If the Windows was an OEM version that copy of Windows will be registered/married to that machine on Windows activation servers. Try installing "and registering" it on another machine and it will not activate....you can get it installed but you can't activate it. Now you might be able to call Microsoft Support and they'll activate it for you...override things/give a new license number.

I've done that before with a laptop I bought with no OS, bought Win 7 OEM version separately and installed it, the laptop died about two weeks after I got it, took it back and was given a new one with no OS installed, used the Win 7 OEM version I had bought/installed on the other machine before it died, the OEM version would not activate on the replacement machine, I called MS and told them my story and they gave me a new license number. I was surprised they did this. And actually, I just remember, I've had an OEM version reactivated twice this way over the last decade or so...each time they gave me a new license number.

Usually if you have an OEM version installed on a machine, you can still upgrade parts like drives, video cards, other cards, etc., but if changing the motherboard the Windows will deactivate itself. Seems the motherboard hash tag data is the key hardware used to marry your machine to the Windows license when using an OEM version.

You can buy OEM versions which will be cheaper than retail versions since the retail version can be moved from machine to machine...the retail version must first has to be deactivated on the old machine and then activate on the new machine. And the OEM version is the type that comes on computers with "factory-installed" Windows.

Keep on original topic, or I will suspend you.

I know it is not related to the original topic, but since you introduced it to the thread I am interested to know how you would accomplish a suspension of someone?

I am not sure what your questions are about? Did you got a stolen PC and are you afraid that using it can identify you?

1) The software is not tied to an individual. The installation is registered but there is no personal information linked with it. If you sell a Windows PC you do not have to register it again or update user information.

The license is tied to the PC. Changing too many hardware components will be considered as a new installation and invalidates the license registration. If this happens you have to contact Microsoft to re-enable the license.

2) Linux installations are not registered anywhere.

Computers are linked to individuals by the personal information users store themselves on a computer. For example as you use a computer on the internet most websites store cookies on you computer and browser software offer you the possibility to remember login information.

Thank you for the answers.

However I would point out, that the majority of them are unrelated to my question.

Keep on original topic, or I will suspend you.

Me thinks you need to clarify what you are asking for then.

Seemed clear to me, which op confirmed on reply.

Can a computer be identified even after being wiped clean and new os (linux) installed.

All answers relating to Windows and software identification irrelevant.

Mac address on lan, wifi and Bluetooth etc identifiable still although many can be altered manually.

Motherboard serials etc can be identified but not so commonly transmitted.

Advice to op: wipe hard drive by writing 0 start to end multiple times, place in a plastic tub of acid, take remains into sealed metal box and send into space. Now non identifiable.

Weird question indeed, and even weirder statement from the OP ("Il will suspend you") LOL.

Anyway, you may want to tell us what your real concern is if you want to get more useful replies. I'm trying to guess... could it be that you're about to give this computer to someone else and you're concerned about him/her doing naughty things with it that could be traced back to you?

Edited by Lannig

If you buy a computer from an OEM direct like Dell or Acer, then the manufacturer will have a record of the unique serial number tied to your details. Likewise, if you buy it from a shop and register it, they may be able to tie the serial to your personal details.

The serial number is stored in the BIOS. The following command run from a Windows command prompt will display it:

wmic bios get SerialNumber

There will be an equivalent way to get it from Linux.

So it follows that if you do something illegal, or you obtain the machine illegally, or you dispose of it and someone else does something illegal, then the existence of that serial number could be a problem. Likelihood of this - not very high I would think as people dispose/change their computer all the time and I've never heard of a case where the baked in serial number has sent someone to jail. But as always YMMV.

I upgraded the main board on a custom computer and re-installed Windows 7. I had to call Microsoft to authorize the installation. I explained what I did and they were very good about it. They promptly gave me a new code number.

A friend of mine had a bogus Windows 7 operating system on his new computer. I installed Linux Mint on his machine and he is still happily using his computer. I explained to him the Windows programs would no longer work and he didn't care. Open Office works great for him. I use too many Windows compatible programs to make the switch.

Thanks for the replies. I didnt do anything questionable on it, neither anyone else. Its not stolen, it belongs to me. I am simply interested in opsec and related stuff, thats all.
If you bought a computer with windowz preinstalled, your name is often required, so the hardware is already tied to you, thats why they ask for it in the first place.
If there is no name, then only the software is registered under your name, but once that software is gone, there are no ties.
Sure, serial Nr and MAC come into play, but thats irrelevant in terms of whats communicated to windows servers.
These are the things i was thinking about and considering.
If you have any questions, reach out. Or face suspension.

What's with this suspension thing? are you fantasying or what? You can't suspend anyone here, pal. That's the mods' job, not yours tongue.png

OB reply to topic: you don't really know what kind of information is sent to Microsoft when activating Windows. The serial # in the BIOS might be part of it. I'd even venture that it probably is in case of an OEM preinstalled Windows.

So at least theoretically speaking, if that computer was to be collected as evidence of some illegal activity, it could be traced to you via Microsoft's records. I have never heard of anything like this happening though (which doesn't mean it hasn't).

What's with this suspension thing? are you fantasying or what? You can't suspend anyone here, pal. That's the mods' job, not yours tongue.png

"Wannabe" syndrome - kind of like the people who sign up to be foreign police volunteers.

"Wannabe" syndrome - kind of like the people who sign up to be foreign police volunteers.

Wannabe who? Lol.

I was kidding that's all.

By the way a police volunteer can be someone who gives back to the community.

Why do you approach everything from a negative perspective?

Time to see that psychiatrist, son.