how to protect yourself (and others) from soi dogs.

Odd to find a response today as I was very closely attacked by a pack of soi dogs. Yes I made a wrong turn as the very nice Thai lady pointed out. (Google maps wanted to play games with me today). No one ever comes down this soi she told me as (literally) ten dogs were wanting to chomp me to threads. This was near Bang Pra yesterday. My "Flashlight" which doubles as a beat the FK out of you stick just came in today. I was scared. I wont lie. Had visions of all these guys chomping me down. Damn. What a dumb turn I made. Let me just walk away guys and no one will get hurt. Try to walk back slowly and calmly.. They try to flank me. The only thing protecting me was my bike and tall grass with concrete next to me... I kept my bike between me and them . Thank GOD (or whomever) this older lady was out there .. They knew her. First thing I did was pick up the biggest thing next to me'. I think it was a stink bean pod. The bastards were scared as shit when I bent over and picked this up. Then (thank the GODS) this old lady came out and started to corral them away from me. I said Kop khun Krap. She said mai me khon mahhh. (no one ever comes here). So I turned my bike around and started to leave. One little guy started to come at me but the nice old lady picked up a stone and threatened this guy to stay away from me. He backed down.

I have had guns pulled on me and been shot at.. But This has been one of the most terrifying moments in my time in Thailand.. BRING PROTECTION! If you have a pack of dogs on you.. stand your ground.. PICK SOME SHIT UP AND ACT TOUGH. I was there for a LONG time (5 min) with them running around me, Do whatever you need to but do not back down.

I wish I could round up the "soi dog huggers" and send then down that soi one by one for a bit of attitude readjustment.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd to find a response today as I was very closely attacked by a pack of soi dogs. Yes I made a wrong turn as the very nice Thai lady pointed out. (Google maps wanted to play games with me today). No one ever comes down this soi she told me as (literally) ten dogs were wanting to chomp me to threads. This was near Bang Pra yesterday. My "Flashlight" which doubles as a beat the FK out of you stick just came in today. I was scared. I wont lie. Had visions of all these guys chomping me down. Damn. What a dumb turn I made. Let me just walk away guys and no one will get hurt. Try to walk back slowly and calmly.. They try to flank me. The only thing protecting me was my bike and tall grass with concrete next to me... I kept my bike between me and them . Thank GOD (or whomever) this older lady was out there .. They knew her. First thing I did was pick up the biggest thing next to me'. I think it was a stink bean pod. The bastards were scared as shit when I bent over and picked this up. Then (thank the GODS) this old lady came out and started to corral them away from me. I said Kop khun Krap. She said mai me khon mahhh. (no one ever comes here). So I turned my bike around and started to leave. One little guy started to come at me but the nice old lady picked up a stone and threatened this guy to stay away from me. He backed down.

I have had guns pulled on me and been shot at.. But This has been one of the most terrifying moments in my time in Thailand.. BRING PROTECTION! If you have a pack of dogs on you.. stand your ground.. PICK SOME SHIT UP AND ACT TOUGH. I was there for a LONG time (5 min) with them running around me, Do whatever you need to but do not back down.

I wish I could round up the "soi dog huggers" and send then down that soi one by one for a bit of attitude readjustment.

Yougivemebaby handled it perfectly and no one got hurt. That's the way it should work.

I have no idea where this happened and don't need to find out but if I was sent there by 12drinkmore I'd have the same result. The dogs would snarl and growl but there would be no harm.

Yougivemebaby handled it perfectly and no one got hurt. That's the way it should work.

I have no idea where this happened and don't need to find out but if I was sent there by 12drinkmore I'd have the same result. The dogs would snarl and growl but there would be no harm.

That is NOT the way "it" should work. At all.

The way it should work is that anybody should be able to walk or cycle down any public road without having "one of the most terrifying moments in my time in Thailand", with the only thing between being bitten is a bicycle and a concrete wall.

Some people have really lost the plot around here.

I walk with a Stun Gun already had the crap scared out of me near Soi Kopai, lucky had one on me, 6 dogs ready to attack my gf and myself, just let them hear it and scattered

“The way it should work” is that people shouldn’t be so intolerant, fearful and violent, but I guess people aren’t perfect. Instead of complaining that the world won’t change to suit your needs, why not adapt to your surroundings. It is easier to change yourself than it is to change everyone else.smile.png

The way it should work is that people shouldnt be so intolerant, fearful and violent, but I guess people arent perfect. Instead of complaining that the world wont change to suit your needs, why not adapt to your surroundings. It is easier to change yourself than it is to change everyone else.smile.png

Absolutely. Everyone should learn to "adapt to" some missing chunks of flesh and maybe a nice case of rabies! What sound advice!! Thank-you for those pearls of wisdom. And BTW, don't be swatting at those mosquitos either! "Adapt" to them.

By adapt, I mean learn how not to be so antagonistic, aggressive and confrontational. I might like to be able to go anywhere in the world without having to worry about idiots with guns but it make more sense for me to avoid them or move through their area without pissing them off. Just because a dog barks doesn’t mean it is going to take a chunk of flesh from your leg, unless you stick your leg in his mouth trying to harm it.

In my experience, if you chill they will too.

The way it should work is that anybody should be able to walk or cycle down any public road without having "one of the most terrifying moments in my time in Thailand", with the only thing between being bitten is a bicycle and a concrete wall.

The dogs aren't going away so learn to deal with it. Yougivemebaby did. I still don't understand your original comment above. Nothing happened.

Some people are scared of barking dogs. Some people are scared of the dark. There's misplaced fear in both.

The dogs aren't going away so learn to deal with it. Yougivemebaby did. I still don't understand your original comment above. Nothing happened.

Some people are scared of barking dogs. Some people are scared of the dark. There's misplaced fear in both.

Nothing happened except Yougivemebaby had one of the most terrifying moments of his time in Thailand when set upon by a pack a feral dogs, and the attack was fierce enough to make him think he was going to be bitten.

And all he was doing was riding his bike.

If the dogs had been humans and did the same thing, the police would be involved and there would be charges of assault.

I fail to see how an assault by feral animals can be defended at all. If I had been the one attacked those dogs would now be very sick, and, in your words, they would have to deal with it.

The dogs were merely barking, not unlike what some posters on here are doing.biggrin.png

This does not seem like merely barking.

They try to flank me. The only thing protecting me was my bike and tall grass with concrete next to me... I kept my bike between me and them

How many kids faces have to be ripped open, how many people have to be bitten, how many cyclists/motorcyclists have to face dogs attacks and potentially have accidents before the "Feral Soi Dog Huggers" finally admit that there is a problem?

The feral dogs are unpredictable and in a pack of ten very scary.

However, clearly there is a solution. All the dog lovers go out and collect a few dogs and take them back to give them a good home.

The dogs were merely barking, not unlike what some posters on here are doing.biggrin.png

This does not seem like merely barking.

They try to flank me. The only thing protecting me was my bike and tall grass with concrete next to me... I kept my bike between me and them

How many kids faces have to be ripped open, how many people have to be bitten, how many cyclists/motorcyclists have to face dogs attacks and potentially have accidents before the "Feral Soi Dog Huggers" finally admit that there is a problem?

The feral dogs are unpredictable and in a pack of ten very scary.

However, clearly there is a solution. All the dog lovers go out and collect a few dogs and take them back to give them a good home.

I'll assume your answer was tongue in cheek and that you know it won't help at all. The number of street dogs is solely dependent on the amount of food available. Take one off the street and another will replace it. The dog lovers who go out and routinely feed a group of soi dogs are not helping.

The solution, as you know, is 1) teach Thais and farang the need to sterilize their pets, and 2) catch and sterilize as many soi dogs as possible. There are several foundations in Thailand that are doing this. I assume you are contributing to their efforts. If you don't know of any, I can send you a list of organizations where you can make a donation.

We have all our animals neutered (dogs and cats) but most people don’t seem to favor that option or wish to follow our lead. The savagery of males fighting over females or all the unwanted puppies and kittens is disheartening at best but I am not very authoritarian by nature. I try to set an example but that is as far as I am willing to go. I don’t feel it is my place to tell others how to live their lives. I am better at navigating around the messes other people make than I am at fixing what I consider their mistakes and bad choices. I don't like others telling me what to do and I assume others feel the same.

We have all our animals neutered (dogs and cats) but most people don’t seem to favor that option or wish to follow our lead. The savagery of males fighting over females or all the unwanted puppies and kittens is disheartening at best but I am not very authoritarian by nature. I try to set an example but that is as far as I am willing to go. I don’t feel it is my place to tell others how to live their lives. I am better at navigating around the messes other people make than I am at fixing what I consider their mistakes and bad choices. I don't like others telling me what to do and I assume others feel the same.

I would guess that the reason why people do not have the balls severed from the dogs is that it would cost them a thousand or so Baht. And, of course, people love those little puppies and tiny little kittens, until they get a few months old, and then they are put out on the streets, dumped on someone else's doorstep or taken to the temple.

Except within religion, where they can get away with murder, I do not think anybody likes being told how to behave. However a bit of social pressure is sometimes all that separates us from anarchy, where the threat of violence enforces "desired behaviour".

Dogs in packs will hunt and kill just for the fun of it. One feral pack broke into my hen house at night a few years ago, the whole area was littered with dead hens in the morning, not a single hen out of about 30 was left alive. I sort of liked my hens, Retribution was swift and I hope very painful. I did not see another dog running around wild for several months. Problem fixed.

Why not provide better protection for your chickens? A little more effort on your part could have saved the lives of the chickens and the dogs.sad.png

You're so correct, there is nothing worse than a pack of rabid chickens, chasing you and clucking like mad whilst trying to peck you to death. Some dog owners need to accept responsibility and get their brain in gear.

Why not provide better protection for your chickens? A little more effort on your part could have saved the lives of the chickens and the dogs.sad.png

You're so correct, there is nothing worse than a pack of rabid chickens, chasing you and clucking like mad whilst trying to peck you to death. Some dog owners need to accept responsibility and get their brain in gear.

I agree. Chickens are vulnerable so the owners should accept responsibility and get their brains in gear by providing adequate shelter. It is unfair to tempt hungry dogs or stimulate their prey drive.biggrin.png

While I am certain the haters will not be swayed from their position, I continue to respond because I have hope there are some who are on the fence, between love and hate. Those individuals have the right to hear differing opinions before they make up their minds.

Except that in this case there were no dog owners. He said they were a feral pack. Nothing was accomplished. All his chickens died. A bunch of dogs were poisoned(?). And a few months later there are new dogs. This process gets repeated over and over.

I totally underestimated the tenacity and intelligence of dogs to silently break through a wire mesh fence and open a solid wooden hen coop.

Although dogs started to repopulate the area, they never seemed to live very long, and the breeding dog population was reduced accordingly.

The long term effect was far fewer dogs roaming the jungle and village.

Except that in this case there were no dog owners. He said they were a feral pack. Nothing was accomplished. All his chickens died. A bunch of dogs were poisoned(?). And a few months later there are new dogs. This process gets repeated over and over.

Persistence is the key.

The new dogs did not stay around very long.

While I am certain the haters will not be swayed from their position, I continue to respond because I have hope there are some who are on the fence, between love and hate. Those individuals have the right to hear differing opinions before they make up their minds.

Not really a matter of love & hate. That's just you trying to deflect the discussion by emotionalizing it. The fact is, the dogs are a pest and a hazard, possibly even a deadly hazard if rabid. They are a problem in need of a solution. Yours is not a solution, just an attempt to make yourself feel better. If your child were attacked & injured, or even you yourself had to endure a rabies series, I'll wager you'd change your tune pretty quickly. Unfortunately, some people are just congenitally disabled from being able to learn from the experiences of others. Hopefully NOBODY finds your advice worthwhile and makes of themselves part of the problem.

I believe the initial question was how to protect yourself from soi dogs while riding a bicycle. The complaint was about dogs aggressively running after the OP. I am not certain what he considers “aggressive running” and I am pretty sure different riders would gauge this differently but I think it is safe to say he was frightened.

There seem to be two very different responses. One is to bludgeon the animals or worse. The other is to adjust the behavior and elevate the understanding of the rider in an effort to reduce his fear. I know what works for me but I guess others are free to take a more aggressive stance.
All the theoretical talk about how to change Thailand really doesn’t address the immediate question of dealing with the dog chasing you down the soi, which after all is the topic.
There probably isn’t one simple solution as we don’t all ride in the same place surrounded by the same dogs. Some of us have found a kinder gentler way of coexistence which takes into consideration a longterm relationship with our neighbors, both human and animal.
The fear factor may simply be too high for some people to use a similar approach. It is clear from my experience that dogs respond differently to different people. Our dogs will ignore most people but will display aggression toward others and you can usually see why. Maybe if you are the type of person who brings out the worst in animals you do need to protect yourself but I still think an attitude adjustment would be easier.

Not really a matter of love & hate. That's just you trying to deflect the discussion by emotionalizing it. The fact is, the dogs are a pest and a hazard, possibly even a deadly hazard if rabid. They are a problem in need of a solution. Yours is not a solution, just an attempt to make yourself feel better. If your child were attacked & injured, or even you yourself had to endure a rabies series, I'll wager you'd change your tune pretty quickly. Unfortunately, some people are just congenitally disabled from being able to learn from the experiences of others. Hopefully NOBODY finds your advice worthwhile and makes of themselves part of the problem.

We're pretty far off the topic here. Do you or 12drink even ride bicycles in Thailand?

When I first posted to this thread, I was only pointing out the misplaced and increased dangers. You are more likely to crash while avoiding a dog than you are to be bitten.

Hawker, you're entitled to your opinion but please don't state them as fact. Human fatalities from rabies has been going down steadily for over 30 years in Thailand. In my quick google search, the last year I found the statistic for was 2012. Four people died from rabies. Four. All in two provinces in the deep south. Like to guess how many died from lightning? 171. You're more than 40 times more likely to die from lightning than a dog bite. Based on your logic/illogic if you're letting your child out of the house during the rainy season, you're an unfit parent.

Feel free to hate dogs and torture other sentient beings. It's a crime, even here in Thailand, but it's unlikely you'll get caught. I've already suggested other, more humane solutions.

We're pretty far off the topic here. Do you or 12drink even ride bicycles in Thailand?

When I first posted to this thread, I was only pointing out the misplaced and increased dangers. You are more likely to crash while avoiding a dog than you are to be bitten.

Hawker, you're entitled to your opinion but please don't state them as fact. Human fatalities from rabies has been going down steadily for over 30 years in Thailand. In my quick google search, the last year I found the statistic for was 2012. Four people died from rabies. Four. All in two provinces in the deep south. Like to guess how many died from lightning? 171. You're more than 40 times more likely to die from lightning than a dog bite. Based on your logic/illogic if you're letting your child out of the house during the rainy season, you're an unfit parent.

Feel free to hate dogs and torture other sentient beings. It's a crime, even here in Thailand, but it's unlikely you'll get caught. I've already suggested other, more humane solutions.

Yes, almost everyday.

I was under the impression that dog bites are automatically treated for rabies in Thailand. Maybe I'm wrong.

Agreed that I am more likely to crash than be bitten.

That thought doesn't help.

Thanks for trying.

OH - so you want to bandy some cherry-picked fun facts, eh? Well, according to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2244672/

ONE IN TEN dogs in Bangkok are thought to be infected with rabies, 13 OF EVERY 1000 travelers to Thailand are bitten by dogs, and children are considered most at risk (because they are less likely than adults to report the incident). Also, India and Southest Asia have the highest incidence of rabies.

You continue to try & emotionalize this discussion to deflect it from real solutions. It's not about "hate" or "torture"; you just seem obsessed with that terminology. (Try some meditation or anger management techniques.). It's about practical means of dealing with a serious, or as I've now demonstrated to you even life-threatening, hazard.

Just because some people don't want to be chased by dogs, snarled at by dogs and even bitten by dogs, it doesn't automatically mean they are dog haters, perhaps they just don't share your illogical beliefs.

Archived