how to protect yourself (and others) from soi dogs.

If I read what all this crazy guys here wrote, I understand why the animal cruelty law is now much harder as before. I hope someone do the same with you what you suggested to do with the dogs!!!

If you really have problems with a dog, buy a small pack of dog food. Stop in front of him and give him a little bit. After 2-3 days they stop to try biting you!!! They wanna be your best friends!!!

It not give areason to hit or kick a dog, give electro shots or acid to him. People who do this are <deleted> <deleted>!!!

written by someone who doesnt ride a bike in thailand, and if you do i hope you get attacked by packs of dogs

(seems fair on your disgusting comment about doing the same back to a rider)

best friends, 5555

Actually, it sounds like snowgard has plenty of experience riding in thailand and understands dog behavior very well.

It's sad how much anger and violence there is here amongst farang posters on TV. Most of the posters on this thread are recommending a violent solution. There have been many studies (you can all google as well as I can) that show a correlation between violence towards animals and violence towards people. I feel sorry for your children.

Protecting oneself from an attacking animal is not equivalent to the type of violence you mention, it is not even self defense in the legal sense as animals do not have human rights and are not persons.

Animals are due our protection and are shielded from abuse by law.

It is not the animals fault that it bites someone, it is the fault of the owner or society that allows strays and pets to roam the streets.

They are the abusers, not those who are to be harried and bitten just because they wish to ride a bicycle.

The problem with these threads is that they bring out the anti-bicycle brigade and at the same time those "animal lovers" who feel it is justified that victims be savaged by dogges just because they dare to walk the streets.

Heard it so many times and I'm sick of it. Rubbish.

Who are the "anti-bicycle brigade"? I believe there have only been 2 posts by non cyclists. I'm certainly a cyclist.

As i wrote in my initial post in this thread, most here have a misplaced sense of danger.

Everyone kicking at dogs, carrying sticks, and fumbling for spray bottles of ammonia is paying too much attention to what is going on behind them.

I know far more riders that have been injured trying to avoid dogs than have been bitten. Pay attention to the road and other road users!

99% of the dogs are not going to bite you. They're just going to chase you away. A dog chasing you is not "an attacking animal".

Those who have a premeditated way of hurting another sentient being are the ones "I'm sick of".

It's sad and disgusting.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The shear arrogance of cyclists all over the world never ceases to amaze and humor me. Is there a chip implant put in to humans when they buy a pedal cycle with tells them they are invincible/rule the road(and pavements when it suits them)are in fact a law unto themselves????. Now here it seems they belive they have a divine right to whip/stick/tazer/spray/kick or otherwise abuse the local dog population. (It's only a matter of time when human pedestrians who use there pavements come in for the same treatment

If you think that any dog that tries to attack me will get a dog biscuit, you are wrong! Mind you I may give it a pat on the head though, with a rock. Can't you dog lovers see that these possible rabid beasts are a dangerous nuisance. Children cannot protect thenselves like some of us can, the dogs need removing from the streets so everyone has the right to carry on with their business without the threat of being bitten.
Point 1 I am not a dog lover but would not abuse one.

2. Where are the facts about children being bitten???? Been here a number of years and never have I seen or heard of a child or adult come to that being bitten by a dog.

3. Rabbied dog is that your assumption? ??

4.you are free to do whatever floats your boat but not abuse animals as a divine right because they bark or snarl at you.

I personally dislike pedal bike riders scurge of the road (pavements) should be made to pay a form of road tax and be insured but hey I deviate from the topic.

Oh yes you bullying dogs

Most cyclists already pay the same taxes as any car driver, as the vast majority drive as well.

You're the arrogant one, full of nonsense, hate and bigotry.

Since when to cyclists ride on pavements in Thailand anyway?

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk

I have seen many pushbikers riding on pavements in Thailand and all but one foreigners in Pattaya and Khon Kaen more so in Bangkok. Yes you pay tax and insurance for your car but that doesn't cover your pushbike does is that's a defective argument. So I'm arrogant because I dislike pushbikers?????? Or because you say so?????. It's a public forum don't expect to write something and get a slapped back by peers every time some have other views

The shear arrogance of cyclists all over the world never ceases to amaze and humor me. Is there a chip implant put in to humans when they buy a pedal cycle with tells them they are invincible/rule the road(and pavements when it suits them)are in fact a law unto themselves????. Now here it seems they belive they have a divine right to whip/stick/tazer/spray/kick or otherwise abuse the local dog population. (It's only a matter of time when human pedestrians who use there pavements come in for the same treatment
If you think that any dog that tries to attack me will get a dog biscuit, you are wrong! Mind you I may give it a pat on the head though, with a rock. Can't you dog lovers see that these possible rabid beasts are a dangerous nuisance. Children cannot protect thenselves like some of us can, the dogs need removing from the streets so everyone has the right to carry on with their business without the threat of being bitten.

2. Where are the facts about children being bitten???? Been here a number of years and never have I seen or heard of a child or adult come to that being bitten by a dog.

4.you are free to do whatever floats your boat but not abuse animals as a divine right because they bark or snarl at you.

I personally dislike pedal bike riders scurge of the road (pavements) should be made to pay a form of road tax and be insured but hey I deviate from the topic.

Oh yes you bullying dogs

Most cyclists already pay the same taxes as any car driver, as the vast majority drive as well.

I have seen many pushbikers riding on pavements in Thailand and all but one foreigners in Pattaya and Khon Kaen more so in Bangkok. Yes you pay tax and insurance for your car but that doesn't cover your pushbike does is that's a defective argument. So I'm arrogant because I dislike pushbikers?????? Or because you say so?????. It's a public forum don't expect to write something and get a slapped back by peers every time some have other views

Go troll some other thread

Oh yes you bullying dogs

Thanks for my answer.

Oh yes you bullying dogs

Thanks for my answer.

You're welcome

Much angry personal opinion, utter tosh on and Rubbish on this thread . A misplaced sense of danger? (never heard anything so stupid).

There is a real threat from bites and disease in Thailand, read the news.

A dog chasing is not an attacking animal? That is ridiculous. Clearly suffering from a fundamental misunderstanding of canine behaviour.

I love doggies and other animals. Happy to see them when I pass buy. As for attackers, sorry I am the alpha. I'm more important than a pest in the street where if I'm bitten I'm off to hospital for treatments as a bite from any dog in this country must be assumed as rabid. Unless one is suicidal, to suffer a horrible agonizing death worse than a medieval torture.

Those who allow pets and strays to roam freely in the streets are the real animal abusers.

Now it is time for a cull in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Thousands must now be rounded up and euthanized, all thanks to the so-called "animal lovers".

Much angry personal opinion, utter tosh on and Rubbish on this thread . A misplaced sense of danger? (never heard anything so stupid).

There is a real threat from bites and disease in Thailand, read the news.

A dog chasing is not an attacking animal? That is ridiculous. Clearly suffering from a fundamental misunderstanding of canine behaviour.

I love doggies and other animals. Happy to see them when I pass buy. As for attackers, sorry I am the alpha. I'm more important than a pest in the street where if I'm bitten I'm off to hospital for treatments as a bite from any dog in this country must be assumed as rabid. Unless one is suicidal, to suffer a horrible agonizing death worse than a medieval torture.

Those who allow pets and strays to roam freely in the streets are the real animal abusers.

Now it is time for a cull in Chiang Mai and Bangkok. Thousands must now be rounded up and euthanized, all thanks to the so-called "animal lovers".

Don't restrict that to a couple of cities.

Everybody in Thailand knows that there are way too many dogs running around. Even the canine cuddlers will admit that. Nobody is saying we need more.

I simply do not understand the mentality of someone trying to defend the presence of feral dogs.

I guess they enjoy the pictures of a teenage girl having her face torn open, derive pleasure from the thought that everyday pedestrians, motorcyclists and cyclists are being attacked and find it aesthetically pleasing to see rubbish bags ripped open and rubbish strewn around as the dogs lsearch for food.

And, indeed, relish the common sight of mangy, sick and malnutritioned dogs. Which to a true dog lover should immediately break their poor hearts and cause them to take in the dogs and care for them. Something that does not seem to be happening on any scale whatsoever. Probably they blame the cyclists for not lying down and donating a limb to feed the dogs.

Nobody has mentioned lighter fluid and a lighter.

Oh well, guess someone will shortly ..

Numbnuts.

How do you expect a cyclist to light the fluid?

And cyclists tend not to be smokers so they will not be carrying the fluid and lighter.

And cyclists tend to be outdoors and creature appreciators. Setting a dog on fire is not going to enter anybody's mind. Except yours.

Ammonia, eh? I've looked high and low to buy ammonia here for cleaning silver. Brought a gallon from the US in suitcase.

So where can one buy ammonia???

That's another reason vinegar is better.

Ammonia, eh? I've looked high and low to buy ammonia here for cleaning silver. Brought a gallon from the US in suitcase.

So where can one buy ammonia???

That's another reason vinegar is better.

Will the cheap white vinegar do, or does it have to be Sarsons?

Well I decided to Google "dog attacks thailand" and there are too many reports for my laziness to quantify.

Perhaps some of you can visit these victims and tell them to follow your advice next time.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/919999-debate-rages-as-girl-needs-100-stitches-after-savage-dog-attack-in-bangkok-estate/

https://www.facebook.com/DogAttacksThailand/

http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/139255/pack-of-stray-dogs-attack-thai-german-boy-on-pattaya-beach/

I say any uncontrolled animal capable of hurting a human should be relocated if economically and safely viable.

Dogs are predators; my instinct is to fear all predators so I would rather be properly prepared to face a pack of them.

Sinnce my name isn't Cesar MIllan; the cow prodder seems the best idea so far with a cracking sound, long reach,and repeatability.

Bear in mind there are penalties for abuse so you better have some proof or be willing to face the consequences.

http://www.thailawforum.com/man-charged-with-killing-dog-under-thailands-animal-abuse-law/

After reading and seeing news today seems European countries have a lot of ferrell dogs of the two legged variety, running amuck in France at the football. Causing a lot more hurt than a few soi dogs.

Maybe the dogs in my area are different but I never seem to have a problem. I dont really mind a dog barking and dont go out of my way to provoke a bite by putting my foot in their mouths. I may coast along a bit with the peddle in the raised position while I talk to the dog in question. If need be I will stop and try to make friends.

I ride anywhere from 50 to 100 km and I am old so I am not worried about my split-times and dont mind slowing down if that is what is required. I have never hurt a dog and never been bitten.

You are are very fortunate.

The Sunday rides I take part in have on several occasions been attacked by packs of stray dogs.

There is a huge difference between being a tacked by one or two dogs and being attacked by a pack of dogs.

Your past past history of never having hurt a dog or mever having been injured by a dog is utterly irrelavent when you have a pack of dogs chasing and encircling you.

I only mention my past history to suggest it is not blind luck which has allowed me to ride without incident. Maybe country dogs are more well mannered or the large packs which often guard a herd of cattle or buffalo are less ferocious than their city brethren. Then again my attitude might have something to do with it. I am willing to adjust my behavior to get along with the dogs I encounter.

It is my opinion that the human male bravado which is supposed to intimidate dogs, is actually seen as fear aggression and a sign of weakness by dogs.

" fear aggression?" Is that what they told you? I've never heard that one before.

How about the sheer stupidity that you possess when people talk about ways to defend themselves from dogs that attack them. Did you not read the OP?

I'm not a cyclist but I do agree they should be allowed to defend themselves. Would you rather they just stood there and got bitten and did nothing to stop it?

Talk about divine rights? And then to try and transition to attacking humans? You should go write for the gossip mags, they play loose with reality like you do.

Top Generalisation!

read again, geezus, the noise scares them, u don't shock them

REad what again? The tips for the sticks to hit or Pepper spray, Kicking them, electric cattle prod, squirt gun with amonnia, ...????

If someone not hurt them I not speak something but all the other crazy shit, .... make me speakless!!! I hope someone see this bastards and report it to the police!!!

What the most not understand is: "This dogs just protect their place against invaders (you)!!!" Nothing other!!!

If you be nice to they, they would be nice to you!!! Give they a little bit snacks and they want love you!!!

If you be aggressive they do the same!!!

The public road is not "their" place, it is "our" place.

Geddit?

actually you are incorrect the word public should tell you it belongs to the government who allow the public to use it which means the said public who have dogs are in fact allowed to take there dogs onto the road. Albeit on a lead. Now I have 3 dogs who never get out onto the road but when someone or something comes close to our gate do as I want them to and howl. If I ever saw anyone using a stick or spray or anything against my dogs I would repay the mindless moron double fold.

Dogs inside your gate are one thing. No problem. I'm just passing by. If the barking doesn't bother you and your neighbors, it certainly won't bother me. But if you let your dogs out on the street and they attack passersby, that's something else. If you want to go out on the street and start something yourself because I'm defending myself against your uncurbed animals, why you're welcome to the same treatment they'll get. As many folds as it takes.

REad what again? The tips for the sticks to hit or Pepper spray, Kicking them, electric cattle prod, squirt gun with amonnia, ...????

If someone not hurt them I not speak something but all the other crazy shit, .... make me speakless!!! I hope someone see this bastards and report it to the police!!!

What the most not understand is: "This dogs just protect their place against invaders (you)!!!" Nothing other!!!

If you be nice to they, they would be nice to you!!! Give they a little bit snacks and they want love you!!!

Geddit?

actually you are incorrect the word public should tell you it belongs to the government who allow the public to use it which means the said public who have dogs are in fact allowed to take there dogs onto the road. Albeit on a lead. Now I have 3 dogs who never get out onto the road but when someone or something comes close to our gate do as I want them to and howl. If I ever saw anyone using a stick or spray or anything against my dogs I would repay the mindless moron double fold.

Dogs inside your gate are one thing. No problem. I'm just passing by. If the barking doesn't bother you and your neighbors, it certainly won't bother me. But if you let your dogs out on the street and they attack passersby, that's something else. If you want to go out on the street and start something yourself because I'm defending myself against your uncurbed animals, why you're welcome to the same treatment they'll get. As many folds as it takes.

Oh dear another keyboard Commando or in this case a pushbike commando. There are so many on here.

Geddit?

Don't feed the troll

If I read what all this crazy guys here wrote, I understand why the animal cruelty law is now much harder as before. I hope someone do the same with you what you suggested to do with the dogs!!!

If you really have problems with a dog, buy a small pack of dog food. Stop in front of him and give him a little bit. After 2-3 days they stop to try biting you!!! They wanna be your best friends!!!

It not give areason to hit or kick a dog, give electro shots or acid to him. People who do this are <deleted> <deleted>!!!

i just wanted to thank you for your post. following your advice has changed my life.

i am not a dog lover and i do think many dogs can sense that and react to it. twice weekly i walk to the market along the river promenade and until today i was regularly bailed up by just about every dog i passed. i stared at them, swang my shopping basket, shouted at them - if anything, next time i walked past it was worse.

yesterday i bought some dog chew sticks, had them ready in my pocket, walked confident knowing i had this solution - and the bloody mongrels did not even get up or look at me! even the big black one with the frothy snout just lay there and when i threw the chew stick at him, he flinched.

my sincerest thank you to you - again.

written by someone who doesnt ride a bike in thailand, and if you do i hope you get attacked by packs of dogs

best friends, 5555

Actually, it sounds like snowgard has plenty of experience riding in thailand and understands dog behavior very well.

It's sad how much anger and violence there is here amongst farang posters on TV. Most of the posters on this thread are recommending a violent solution. There have been many studies (you can all google as well as I can) that show a correlation between violence towards animals and violence towards people. I feel sorry for your children.

Actually it shows you know zero about who rides or even lives in Thailand.

Its quite unsettling that your types relish the chance to spout verbal abuse and other lies towards people trying to solve a dangerous issue for them.

I feel sorry for anyone you come into contact with.

Geddit?

Don't feed the troll

Sent from my turnip using Tapatalk[/quote

Why are you not hungry after beating up on dogs and pushbiking

Oh dear another keyboard Commando or in this case a pushbike commando. There are so many on here.

It is a cycling forum no? If you don't like cyclists, then, with respect, be a good chap and post your gobbledegook elsewhere.

For me, I generally like cyclists, albeit not all, and it's the same with dogs. Cheerio.

To everyone else, sorry for feeding!!

It is a cycling forum no? If you don't like cyclists, then, with respect, be a good chap and post your gobbledegook elsewhere.

For me, I generally like cyclists, albeit not all, and it's the same with dogs. Cheerio.

To everyone else, sorry for feeding!!

The trouble is that if you feed them, you encourage them, and they come to expect feeding, and get angry when they don't get fed.

I'm fortunate that round where I live there are not so many stray dogs, and they are generally more mangey than fierce.

There's a couple of dogs in a garden on a little side street that bark whenever I go past; it must be great knowing when there is a cyclist going past your house. Although since the house is right next to a mosque, I assume that the owners are deaf, in any case. It's also pretty close to the motorway; but back to the dogs - they seem like pleasant, well-cared for beasts, albeit a little excitable.

Yesterday one of two stray dogs roaming in the street together appeared to make a dart after me as I went past, but I think his heart wasn't in it, and I can only one time when I have ever actually been chased; that was in a fairly urban suburb, and as I recall, the dog was put off by the traffic around.

The only dog that I ever really worry about is the rotweiller that is sometimes tied up, or on a leash on the road through the golf course, and I worry if he got excited he could catch me going up the hill. So I try to keep a steady pace and look as much like a car as I can...

I do think it is worth giving all dogs a decent wide berth, so that you've got time to shout at them if they dart at you, and you're not likely to ride over them. The cats worry me more, as they have a tendency to dart unpredictably, and would be less able to laugh off being ridden over, so I give them a wider berth and hiss at them well in advance

SC

best friends, 5555

Actually it shows you know zero about who rides or even lives in Thailand.

Its quite unsettling that your types relish the chance to spout verbal abuse and other lies towards people trying to solve a dangerous issue for them.

I feel sorry for anyone you come into contact with.

I've only been living and riding here for 11 years so, of course, your opinion -- that violence is the only answer -- is more important than mine.

Then one evening when I came into the village the dog started to chase me so I stopped my bike and got off and chased the dog. Not only did the dog not chase me anymore, but we eventually became best of friends.

He found out who the alpha male was very quickly.

If he's an Asian dog, he's just biding his time, lulling you into a false sense of security.

He's waiting for the time that he can extract maximum benefit, then he'll go for your throat. He'd smile at you the whole time (and offer up toasts to your health and success) if he could.

I cycle in a rural district and have suffered from dogs rushing out to bite me , which they did on one occasion . Subsequently a friend gave me a heavy steel telescopic baton , basically about 8 inches long , but when swung into action extends to about a metre . Dogs are immediately frightened off , if one got close enough to be hit on the head it could kill them . I mostly carry it in my bicycle basket , but when approaching risky areas i take in my hand .

This is exactly what I am looking for. Are these available in Thailand?

Oh yes you bullying dogs

I love dogs and never said anything about abuse to dogs. I prefer dogs to humans. However, people get bitten and killed by street dogs all the time. It is a real threat. I will do whatever I can to protect myself and family. If you get attacked and put on your back, you are done for. I am a big guy but the soi dogs still dont care. Stopping and staring at them has stopped most of them but I still do worry about rabid or overly aggressive dogs. Sometimes I go off road (which I prefer) and that is where I think most of my danger lies. A pack of dogs on a country road could spell disaster. I dont ride alone so I need to be able to protect myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe the dogs in my area are different but I never seem to have a problem. I don’t really mind a dog barking and don’t go out of my way to provoke a bite by putting my foot in their mouths. I may coast along a bit with the peddle in the raised position while I talk to the dog in question. If need be I will stop and try to make friends.

I ride anywhere from 50 to 100 km and I am old so I am not worried about my split-times and don’t mind slowing down if that is what is required. I have never hurt a dog and never been bitten.

Do as village farang do and as I do myself;

speak with him or them;

It's better if u can speak thai or Issan-lao , they understand these language better than english , german or french cheesy.gif;

I have always some " croquettes" for them so they are quickly my friends and as VF wrote I have never hurt a dog and never been bitten .

Today, when cycling, I met a poor old buddy; I stopped for feeding him

28201816801_6af5906e71_b.jpg

28201814831_c7a8d0fa5a_b.jpg

Odd to find a response today as I was very closely attacked by a pack of soi dogs. Yes I made a wrong turn as the very nice Thai lady pointed out. (Google maps wanted to play games with me today). No one ever comes down this soi she told me as (literally) ten dogs were wanting to chomp me to threads. This was near Bang Pra yesterday. My "Flashlight" which doubles as a beat the FK out of you stick just came in today. I was scared. I wont lie. Had visions of all these guys chomping me down. Damn. What a dumb turn I made. Let me just walk away guys and no one will get hurt. Try to walk back slowly and calmly.. They try to flank me. The only thing protecting me was my bike and tall grass with concrete next to me... I kept my bike between me and them . Thank GOD (or whomever) this older lady was out there .. They knew her. First thing I did was pick up the biggest thing next to me'. I think it was a stink bean pod. The bastards were scared as shit when I bent over and picked this up. Then (thank the GODS) this old lady came out and started to corral them away from me. I said Kop khun Krap. She said mai me khon mahhh. (no one ever comes here). So I turned my bike around and started to leave. One little guy started to come at me but the nice old lady picked up a stone and threatened this guy to stay away from me. He backed down.

I have had guns pulled on me and been shot at.. But This has been one of the most terrifying moments in my time in Thailand.. BRING PROTECTION! If you have a pack of dogs on you.. stand your ground.. PICK SOME SHIT UP AND ACT TOUGH. I was there for a LONG time (5 min) with them running around me, Do whatever you need to but do not back down.

Maybe the dogs in my area are different but I never seem to have a problem. I don’t really mind a dog barking and don’t go out of my way to provoke a bite by putting my foot in their mouths. I may coast along a bit with the peddle in the raised position while I talk to the dog in question. If need be I will stop and try to make friends.

I ride anywhere from 50 to 100 km and I am old so I am not worried about my split-times and don’t mind slowing down if that is what is required. I have never hurt a dog and never been bitten.

Do as village farang do and as I do myself;

speak with him or them;

It's better if u can speak thai or Issan-lao , they understand these language better than english , german or french cheesy.gif;

I have always some " croquettes" for them so they are quickly my friends and as VF wrote I have never hurt a dog and never been bitten .

Today, when cycling, I met a poor old buddy; I stopped for feeding him

Yeah, we can all selectively find "nice" pictures of dogs.

I can also find many horrific pictures of dog attack victims.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dog-attack-dad-tells-how-3449276

The feral soi dogs dogs are a menace, and should be destroyed. The world would be a better place.

Oh, and thank you for training this specimen to run onto the road after cyclists in the expectation of being fed. Great job. Not.

Archived