Farang-farang Marriage In Thailand

JAS21

My friends daughter and her fiancé, they are both English, want to marry in Thailand next January. We talked last night about how to go about this.

I remember that when my wife and I married, the legal ceremony, (had already done the family one) that it was all done in one day. ..day1 was interview at embassy for second visitors visa..lady said come back when you are married..married on day2..settlement visa in her passport on day3..However I can’t remember what the sequence for getting married was.

I also told them that its not exactly romantic (10 minute chat, fill in the paperwork and pay 30Baht..and you are married) and that there must be companies who would do a beach marriage, or they could do the running around themselves and get someone to marry them sort of ‘on the beach’.

So can someone please remind me of the ‘paperwork chase’ sequence…and supply any other useful info....thanks

My friends daughter and her fiancé, they are both English, want to marry in Thailand next January. We talked last night about how to go about this.

I remember that when my wife and I married, the legal ceremony, (had already done the family one) that it was all done in one day. ..day1 was interview at embassy for second visitors visa..lady said come back when you are married..married on day2..settlement visa in her passport on day3..However I can’t remember what the sequence for getting married was.

I also told them that its not exactly romantic (10 minute chat, fill in the paperwork and pay 30Baht..and you are married) and that there must be companies who would do a beach marriage, or they could do the running around themselves and get someone to marry them sort of ‘on the beach’.

So can someone please remind me of the ‘paperwork chase’ sequence…and supply any other useful info....thanks

Why? do they live and work here? otherwise best to have civil wedding in UK then fly over for a ceromony! A wedding cert in Thai is a "pain in the butt" surely!

The UK Embassy in Bangkok has an excellent rundown with all the information and PDF forms:

UK Embassy Marriage Page

You can arrange to have the paperwork presented and signed outside of the District Office for a small fee/transportation if you want a more romantic setting. There are also many hotels which will take care of all details.

<deleted>, can anyone else offer any good advise or are some just gonna slag 2 people off for wanting to get married in a different country....! :o:D

Get a grip.

Good luck to the two, I hope they find what they're looking for and, sorry I can't be of more help.

redrus

Thanks for the replies guys...the helpful..the amusing...and the others.

You are right, my wife is 51 and wow...

I did forward one of the amusing replies...hopefully I won't get knifed next time I see her

Thanks

ps we emigrate/retire to LOS in Jan...can't wait. So we will be joining in their celebrations

Edited by John45

I have removed several pathetic comments, your opinion on western women are not needed or requested. Next mysoganistic comment will result in a warning.

Did you mean; misogynistic?

3 results for: misogynistic

View results from: Dictionary | Thesaurus | Encyclopedia | the Web

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1) - Cite This Source

mi‧sog‧y‧ny  /mɪˈsɒdʒəni, maɪ-/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[mi-soj-uh-nee, mahy-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

noun hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

Compare misandry.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1650–60; < NL misogynia. See miso-, gyn-, -y3]

—Related forms

mi‧sog‧y‧nic, mi‧sog‧y‧nous, mi‧sog‧y‧nis‧tic, adjective

mi‧sog‧y‧nist, noun

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.0.1)

Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

That’s so sad, I LOVE women, and I trust them to be themselves. All I said was I don't like western women any more after living in Thailand, even after a short stint here my opinion started to change. And, like it or not, I am FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR from alone in that belief. Point is Thailand is not just "Some other country" No, she is Thailand...and her charm has been known to break more than a few marriages and will enviably break even more. Perhaps a new, and possibly fragile, relationship such as this young couple's, might be I'll suited for a jaunt to Thailand (that will test even the strongest of marriages) at this stage. That’s all I was trying to say.

Don't hate Boo, it's not at all complementing.... :o

My English son and his English fiancee came here to get married. I corfirm that he first thing to do it to consult the UK Embassy.

They had a civil wedding at our home here in Surin starting with a blessing by the monks at 5 in the morning. Later they dressed up for a village wedding proper followed by a Chinese lunch with about 100 or so locals. Great.

The fly in the ointment was the amazingly stupid man at the Amphur office who was not convinced that they were entitled to get married so he wouldn't register the marriage (and I wouldnt pay tea money). You will need to show a letter from the Thai Foreign Ministry in BKK (embassy has details).

However, if you get the marriage registration done in Bangrak, Bangkok no problem and you pay for a certified translation at the same time. Embassy needs this so the marriage is recognised in the UK.

First contact our embassy.

Roger in Surin

Edited by raslin

Cpt money shot, your preference is your business, but as already stated, making rude & stupid comments about any women will not be tolerated. Your comments also prove that you in fact don't love women cause if you did you wouldn't need to insult the ones you no longer prefer. I'm not the one who hates as I don't make degrading comments about any men. You can't claim the same so I suggest you keep it off this forum. I already stated that we don't need, want or request for your opinion on western women & it certainly it isnt' the topic at hand.

Cpt money shot, your preference is your business, but as already stated, making rude & stupid comments about any women will not be tolerated. Your comments also prove that you in fact don't love women cause if you did you wouldn't need to insult the ones you no longer prefer. I'm not the one who hates as I don't make degrading comments about any men. You can't claim the same so I suggest you keep it off this forum. I already stated that we don't need, want or request for your opinion on western women & it certainly it isnt' the topic at hand.

I dont know what he said, but its good to see that the female bashing will not be tolerated, Its been going on far too long in my opinion.

But I think it should be enforced with Thai female bashing as well as farang girl bashing.

Edited by Donz

as with any post donz, the report this post function is the fastest way to draw attention to offesive posts. :o

Yes ive recently started using it. And my last one was a sucess. :D

That's what we need, A Dobber.

You're a good ,um, man Donz.

You're an example of why I left Australia.

as with any post donz, the report this post function is the fastest way to draw attention to offesive posts. :D

Yes ive recently started using it. And my last one was a sucess. :D

That's what we need, A Dobber.

You're a good ,um, man Donz.

You're an example of why I left Australia.

If thats the reason you left australia then you must move alot. :o

Isn't the point of this thread to give someone advice about their marriage? Many western couples come here because they want to get married on a tropical beach (in short supply in the UK), or just to do something different.

I agree with the civil ceremony back home, followed by a sunrise/sunset ceremony at the picturesque spot of your choice. (Too bloody hot to do it at mid-day)

If you have the civil ceremony in Thailand and it proves to be a pain being recognised back home (I highly doubt this) just have a quicky civil ceremony to make the bean counters at the registrar happy and the two of you can look upon it as a bit of paperwork after your real wedding in Thailand.

Good luck :o

Edited by cdnvic

I agree with cdnvic, get the legal paperwork completed in the home country, and then come to Thailand for the ceremony. Twenty years from now, they won't remember going to register the papers in England but will remember sitting in Surin, listening to the monks chanting, the pigs head etc, getting the hundreds of baht notes, the strings tied around their wrists and naturally the party afterwards. KISMIF (Keep it simple, make it fun!)

well they have some choices now

(1) do a civil ceremony back in UK and a celebration in LOS, probably easiest.

(2) organise an amphur registration themselves and then the celebration after that

(3) use a translation service who can organise the lot.

when you get the marriage registered here you do get a very nice and colorfull certificate which fits into a satin bound folder, that can be bought from the amphur, a keepsake for later years

just my 1/2 bahts worth