Buying a sea salt grinder in Chiang Mai

westbounder

Robinsons and Central have had salt grinders but they are just for regular salt, not sea salt.

I had that same problem... I needed a salt grinder for the special Himalayan Pink Salt and all I could find were grinders for ordinary white salt. I really had to search around, but eventually I found lots of outlets selling them; Chiang Mai Plastics, HillCof, Tops had only one style but it would work, as well as Robinsons in Airport Plaza and Kad Suan Keaw.

I bought a McCormick sea salt grinder with sea salt at Tops supermarket at the Airport Plaza. I haven't tried opening up the grinder. 200 Baht for a large one.

This is what to look for:

post-33251-0-63656300-1465556869_thumb.j

I bought a McCormick sea salt grinder with sea salt at Tops supermarket at the Airport Plaza. I haven't tried opening up the grinder. 200 Baht for a large one.

This is what to look for:

I don't think so... Westbounder has already bought his salt. He just needs a grinder. Unless I'm mistaken, those McCormick grinders can't be refilled.

The salt that the OP bought is in large chunks that will need to be reduced, either with a mortar and pestle, or a marble rolling pin, before it can be used in a regular salt/pepper grinder I suppose a hammer would work, but be a bit messy. I use a mortar to reduce regular table salt into 'popcorn' salt, almost a powder that clings to popcorn better than table grind.

Westbounder, let me recommend that you look for a mill with a ceramic grinder rather than a steel one. The ceramic pepper/salt grinders last forever without wearing down. Most of them are adjustable, so you can choose the final size to your liking.

post-114384-0-65006500-1465602943_thumb.

120b or so.....OP could use while he broadens his search......

They have this in large & small in Makro HD.......Downstairs near the hanging spices they have some grinders as well as upstairs in the food prep area with the pots & pans area......

Every time I've looked at them the grinding jaws seem to be of nylon or plastic - I think the best need metal jaws.....Somebody mentioned ceramic - maybe that's what they have but looks like nylon = 400b.....

Edited by pgrahmm

attachicon.gifIMG20160611065057.jpg

120b or so.....OP could use while he broadens his search......

They have this in large & small in Makro HD.......Downstairs near the hanging spices they have some grinders as well as upstairs in the food prep area with the pots & pans area......

Every time I've looked at them the grinding jaws seem to be of nylon or plastic - I think the best need metal jaws.....Somebody mentioned ceramic - maybe that's what they have but looks like nylon = 400b.....

Rimping everywhere have the packaged salt grinders in the photo. At Promenada, walk past all the meat sections heading to the back wall then turn right, walk 2 steps look to the right side, many herbs and spices and seasonings, salt grinders big and small.