Thaksin Banned From Entering Thailand

george

Thaksin cannot return for at least a year: Surayud

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Sunday that he would not allowed his predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand for at least a year.

He said Thaksin should wait until a new government is elected in a year before returning to Thailand.

"The best way is that Thaksin should wait until the problems have been solved during the year ahead. When there is an election and a new government, it will be a proper time [for Thaksin to return to Thailand], Surayud said.

Surayud said it was inappropriate to allow Thaksin to return and put him under a house arrest as suggested by former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyud as doing so would be similar to an action of the Burmese military government.

-- The Nation 2006-11-12

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Sunday that he would not allowed his predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra to return to Thailand for at least a year.

Cool. At last, we have a clear indication of what Surayud wants to do.

As for "pride" and "dignity", Thaksin then would have to wait... :o

Can he stop Thaksin from returning?

Regards

can you stop a Thai citizen from returning?

Martial Law says it all. Under ML they can make breaking wind illegal if they so wish - may not be a bad idea, can see all the full cheeks now. :whistling:555

Edited by mijan24

Regards

Martial Law says it all. Under ML they can make breaking wind illegal if they so wish - may not be a bad idea, can see all the full cheeks now. :whistling:555

fair call I suppose

I think that the problem is that if Thaksin returned, then he would be able to grandstand and generally comment that he was the elected leader of Thailand. The logic in that is true and not argueable with, certainly not by members of the Junta. Foreign countries with limited understanding of the reasons behind the Coup, would place Thailand on a par with Burma and North Korea for imprisoning political opponents, thus giving greater face to Thaksin, now the persecuted.

Surayud knows this and cannot risk the presence of the last democratically elected (no matter how flawed that process was) politician to be in the same country as him, the present, unelected leader. You can imagine the farce of every action taken or proposed by Surayud then being run past Thaksin by the foreign and local media for comment.

He has to ban him, however illogical the prospect of making him stateless, allbeit temporarily, is.

On a final note, it would be a shrewd political move by Thaksin to simply get on TG917 from LHR and when he is turned round, as inevitably be the case, the full force of the UK's asylem system would have to swing into action (as there would be no other grounds for re-entry to UK). This spectacle would be a huge embarressment for the Junta, as similarites could then be drawn with such hotspots as Zimbabwe, Iran, North Korea etc., which all have their fair share of political asylem seekers in the UK.

So much for his Suwarnabhumi airport "return with dignity". There would be anti and pro-Thaksin there to greet him and maybe confrontations, that the country doesn't need for a while, even if only verbal.

Smart move.

You seem to forget that even if he made some money xtra, his the only one that made life a little bit better for the pour people, 30 bath for Medicare, and prolonging school instead 6 to 8 years and some more.

The airport has Been projected since 30 years back and all the involved at that time before Thaksin got rich.

Now junta wants to reverse all those things like Medicare for 30 bath and all the good things that came out of Thaksins 6 years and putting Thailand back 30 years in history, I cant see that this is what you want

He said Thaksin should wait until a new government is elected in a year before returning to Thailand.

"The best way is that Thaksin should wait until the problems have been solved during the year ahead. When there is an election and a new government, it will be a proper time [for Thaksin to return to Thailand], Surayud said.

Surayud said it was inappropriate to allow Thaksin to return and put him under a house arrest as suggested by former prime minister Chavalit Yongchaiyud as doing so would be similar to an action of the Burmese military government.

-- The Nation 2006-11-12

if he re :o:D:D:D turns illegally he should be hung!!

So much for his Suwarnabhumi airport "return with dignity". There would be anti and pro-Thaksin there to greet him and maybe confrontations, that the country doesn't need for a while, even if only verbal.

Smart move.

You seem to forget that even if he made some money xtra, his the only one that made life a little bit better for the pour people, 30 bath for Medicare, and prolonging school instead 6 to 8 years and some more.

The airport has Been projected since 30 years back and all the involved at that time before Thaksin got rich.

Now junta wants to reverse all those things like Medicare for 30 bath and all the good things that came out of Thaksins 6 years and putting Thailand back 30 years in history, I cant see that this is what you want

30 baht medicare?Good way to go bankrupt!! :o:D:D:D

-- The Nation 2006-11-12

Hopefully they will arrest the corrupt bastard!

:o

=================================================================

I never thought I would think this, but there are rumours abound, that Toxin, while taking a shower, dropped his bar of soap and by bending over backwards, had an unfortunate slip and fell in such a way, that he sadly died, virtually instantly . . . . . . .

On the other hand; this would go a long way in solving a number of pressing problems. Of course; he would get a full State Funeral with all the trimmings, duuhhh !

:D

30 baht medicare?Good way to go bankrupt!! :o:D:D:D

Yeah right, lets go straight back to letting the poor die just because they don't have the money to afford treatment. Because that happened more often than not pre 30 Baht.

Let the millions of HIV positive Thais pay for their own CD4 and virusload tests, antiretrovirals and other necessary medicine. And if they can't afford it, so be it.

Even Thaksin's most vocal critics agree upon one point - that the 30 Baht sceme was more than necessary and overdue to be introduced. It may have many faults, but those are only to be improved upon. There is no way that the first national health scheme in Thailand is scrapped, unless for a better sceme.

If this is scrapped - you will have a revolution.

Here's a Dr. Seuss-type poem that that was published in the BKK newspaper letter's column just a few days <i>before</i> the coup that ousted him....... (yes, written by yours truly; Brahmburgers)

How will he go? Some wonder out loud

Will he leave in a blaze, will he leave in a cloud?

Will it be dodging summons, will it be a surprise?

Will he give us some truth or continue his lies?

Alone with his family with thugs at the gate

The once mighty dealer says “don’t hesitate.”

“Pack jewelry, pack cash, and cherished photos.

Nobody but me knows how I will go.”

Late night and dark limos they slip through the streets

His family and entourage feeling no heat

shrill accusations fall flat on deaf ears

They’re off to the airport – no one sheds a tear.

To London to London as fast as a rapier

The details will be in tomorrow’s newspaper

The arm of the law from Thailand can’t reach.

With no one at the helm, there’s no one to impeach.

He’d often wax adamant to forcefully say

Then retract the same words the very next day

His twists and his turns did sometimes astound

Whether zigging or zagging, was hard to pin down.

Just as intriguing is what where and why,

There’ll be years to untangle the maze in the hive

of nefarious dealings with fat cats he knows

Oh fellow taxpayers, oh how will he go?

Former Thai despots are known to have flown

And never admit to the misery they‘ve sown

Some cut their hair and put on a monk’s robes

As if acting holy should thwart legal probes.

In Florida can purchase a house or a boat

In Bath he can buy an estate with a moat

But foreigners in Thailand cannot purchase land

Big noses and freckles dismissed out of hand

While Thailand will struggle to connect all the dots

The former big boss will be off buying lots

Or maybe relaxing somewhere like Palm Springs

To count all his money and perfect his golf swing.

"On a final note, it would be a shrewd political move by Thaksin to simply get on TG917 from LHR and when he is turned round, as inevitably be the case, the full force of the UK's asylem system would have to swing into action (as there would be no other grounds for re-entry to UK). This spectacle would be a huge embarressment for the Junta, as similarites could then be drawn with such hotspots as Zimbabwe, Iran, North Korea etc., which all have their fair share of political asylem seekers in the UK."

Only one flaw here, the airline would not let him fly as they would be liable to pay for his return trip.

Smart move.

The 30 baht scheme is now free... The junta is not reversing anything but moving to have this country going forward. All the good things that came from Thaksin? Maybe you should wait a bit longer and see what they find out about him, more bad than good I'm afraid.

-- The Nation 2006-11-12

if he re :o:D:D:D turns illegally he should be hung!!

JR Texas (51, USA): It is unfortunate that, even though Thaksin is out of the country, his xenophobic ideas and beliefs regarding foreigners--ideas and beliefs that are currently underpinning the new visa/business rules and regulations--remain.

The new govt. can and should prevent him from coming back. And, if it truly wants to improve the economy and Thailand's relationship with foreigners, it can and should remove his ideas as well.

Thailand is at an important crossroads. This new change of power is an opportunity to bring Thailand into the 21st century. To do that, the ruling elite must create a system that fosters economic growth, especially in terms of small business creation and investment by small scale foreign entreprenuers.

Worldwide, the vast majority of jobs are created by small scale businesses, not MNCs (job growth among the latter is actually on the decline in the USA). For example, over 95% of all jobs in the USA are the product of small scale businesses.

Make some simple changes to the now Draconian and overly complex visa/business rules and regulations and Thailand will be on the road to recovery. Trillions of baht in investment money will flow into Thailand. Hundreds of thousands of jobs will be created.

Maintain the status quo in terms of the visa/business rules and regulations, and the opposite will happen. The vast majority of Thais will suffer. And down the road an explosive situation will most certainly materialize.

There is no need to fear change. Those in power (the ruling elite) can retain their power and wealth. A few strategic and positive changes will lead to more wealth and an enlargement of the economic pie. A win-win situation can be created. But not with Thaksins ideas and beliefs underpinning future change.

I hope the new govt. does what is right for the vast majority of Thais and not simply what is right for the 1% of ruling elites who stand at the top of the corporate-political-military triangle of power.

Time will tell.

JR Texas (51, USA): It is unfortunate that, even though Thaksin is out of the country, his xenophobic ideas and beliefs regarding foreigners--ideas and beliefs that are currently underpinning the new visa/business rules and regulations--remain.

Thaksin was not the first xenophobe in Thailand, and was far from being the worst. Thaksin was pragmatically and moderately xenophobic.

The most vile ideologic xenophobes you have found initially on his side, but they turned away from him sooner or later after his pretended nationalism was found only to be a tactic to gather votes responding to feelings of disappointment after the IMF aera, and gathered then at the side of his most hardened opponents, where they still are.

I have to agree it is not in Thailand's best interest to allow Thaksin to return. He did a remarkable job for Thailand and the Thai economy, however one cannot ignore his corrupt ethics...not that he is alone in this practice, Indonesia did it for years... funny thing is...I didn't think he was naive enough to get caught.

Having him temporarily unable or perhaps never able to return to his native country would serve more justice than a trial for corruption. The money is gone...I hope Thailand doesn't end up with new pockets to fill...

BANGKOK (XFN-ASIA) - Thailand's deposed premier Thaksin Shinawatra is still in China and has no plans to return to the kingdom anytime soon, his legal adviser said Saturday.

'He is still in Beijing and will stay there for a while,' Noppadol Pattama told reporters, adding Thaksin, who was ousted in a bloodless coup in September, was not returning to Thailand anytime soon.

Thaksin was in New York when the coup happened, and had since been living in self-imposed exile in London, where he has a home, but the former premier has been staying in China since this month, raising speculation he might return home soon.

Local reports said Thaksin might come back to Thailand in December, but Noppadol declined to say where the deposed leader would go after Beijing.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont, who was installed by the military following the coup, has said he was willing to hold talks with Thaksin about his return, if he approached Surayud to make formal arrangements.

But Surayud also said Thaksin should wait until 'security issues' were resolved before looking to return.

The premier said on Friday that martial law, imposed after the putsch, was still needed in the kingdom's north, a stronghold of Thaksin.

Regards

This is an interesting point. I don't think that Thai nationality can be stripped from some one who is Thai by birth (a naturalised Thai can lose it tho). Perhaps, as already suggested a martial law order could ban him from entering on the grounds of national security. I expect, however, it will be more moral suasion i.e. we may arrest you if you come back. What Thaksin wants is some kind of deal to provide immunity from arrest and asset seizure. Good on Sarayud for not playing ball with him. It is definitely the best thing for the country to let him cool his heels for a year and let the next government decide what to do with him. By then there will hopefully be some meaty charges laid against him which will make it harder and more expensive for him to come back. Since money talks he will no doubt cut a deal eventually but let's hope he doesn't get back into politics.

Anyway no need for T to end up stateless. He is qualified on grounds of ethnicity to be a Chinese citizen!

You guys are in the same daze that most of the Thais are. Keep reading the local newspapers, don't bring your head out for air, and for Buddha's sake do not think outside the box!

Oh yeah, and I have some great property to sell all of you......

Why don't you enlighten us chickin...give us your "outside the box" opinions?

I have just renewed my visa / work permit for the fourth year in a row. It has been a lot more of a hassle than in previous years, mostly immigration were really uncomfortable, and almost canceled my visa, although the same company had the same paperwork provided! They accepted, after a 7 hour ordeal, not without warning me that "things have changed now". I saw a lot of agitated falangs that day.

So much for all those foreigners who believe that they can now wander in and out a lot more easily without Thaksin.

-- The Nation 2006-11-12

Hopefully they will arrest the corrupt bastard!

Cool. At last, we have a clear indication of what Surayud wants to do.

As for "pride" and "dignity", Thaksin then would have to wait... :o

A clear indication of what Surayud wants to do???????

Thaksin is banned because he was corrupt!!! true,,,,,,,,,,

A coup was held because nobody was brave or smart enough to run against him..... don't forget re-elections were suppose to be held last October.

Corrupt?????? In my opinion ,,, Thaksin was as corrupt as any other ######ing politician in the world.

Where would this beautyful country be without Thaksin after the crash in 1998.

All the rubberfarmers in the south are against him,,,, Due to Thaksin, 1 kilo of rubber in worth +/- 95 baht instead of 30 baht 2 years ago.

Thaksin was arrogant. yes

Thaksin was/is a clever business man. yes

Thaksin runned his country like it was his own business. yes

Thaksin had problems in the south. yes... the problems have increased

Thaksin didn't always smile on tv. yes

He wasn't the ideal leader,,,,, but who can do better in this country???????????????????????????