Thaksin Banned From Entering Thailand

george

Interesting comments but i'm not sure Mr.Taksin really need a diplomatic passport to travel.He as made menay friends around the world and was seen in Singapore talking to the Prime minister of this country and then received by The Japanese.

This Junta rulers and their bogus government are only protecting their own interest they are scared of him and they should be.

We can see all the decisions they are making now are only to get a bigger grip on the Thai peoples with their lack of understanding of political games .

By Thailand laws General Sonthi and Interior minister should both be in Jail since Bigamy is not tolerated in this country

Sonthi has two concurent wives. He registered to marry his first wife, Sukanya, when he was a lieutenant and registered to a second wife, Piyada, when he was a captain. He currently lives with both women. Bigamy is illegal in Thailand, and is punishable with a jail term. However, Interior Minister Aree Wongsaraya defended Sonthi, claiming that it was a personal manner. He claimed that he himself had six wives.[31][32]

Now let's be realistic here and read the quotes made by Sonthi and we will all realised they are a bunch on incompetant peoples

• "There is nobody who wants to stage a coup. I can assure that the military will not." 28 February 2006[33]

• "The army will not get involved in the political conflict. Political troubles should be resolved by politicians. Military coups are a thing of the past.", 6 March 2006, [34]

• "Nobody was behind us. We decided on our own, and we took care of it on our own ... because the people have called for it and also because of the mismanagement of the government.", 20 September 2006[35]

• "Thaksin is a Thai and a fellow countryman and there will be no problem should he decide to return. We are like brothers.", 20 September 2006[36]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonthi_Boonyaratglin

The main reason General Sonthi decided to take power is because Mr Taksin refuse to promote his friend from military class

Thailand as a country is in Big Trouble and HI HOPE Mr Taksin decide to return

I seriously doubt anyone is going to seriously propose bigamy charges against Muslims. That would result in a lot of cases and the Southern situation would undoubtedly deteriorate if such an anti-Muslim approach were used. Every government has turned a blind eye to this for a long time as they know the consequences to stability if they act otherwise. It has only recently been suggested by a minority of supporters of Mr. Thaksin, probably without his backing, who are probably ill advised to go this route if they truly believe in national unity. I am sure that criticism of Gen. Sonthi can be made on political issues rather than trying to further inflame the southern situation.

Wikipedia might be cool and fun and interesting but as an open source resource that can be effectively manipulated by anyone should not be taken as authoratative on any subject.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the Foreign Correspondents Club of Thailand last night and chatted with a few journalists who have been around Thailand a very long time. The general view expressed echoed that of Supinya, that the junta is far more dangerous than the previously elected administration. No, I don't have any quotes and I'm not naming any names. These are dangerous times indeed for a journalist in Thailand.

So why is every Thai newspaper heavily criticising the junta, or rather certain generals in the junta, for their request to cease reporting about Thaksin?

They have also criticised the junta's handling of the bombings, timing of limit on foreign ownership of shares and last month's clampdown on baht trading.

I don't see any fear in the Thai media. Supinya unwittingly became a heroine when Thaksin relentlessly pursued litigation against her, it doesn't mean she's always right.

Suriyasai of the PAD takes a far more realistic view of the present situation and its dificulties in my view.

This regime has distinguished itself in its gentle handling of (mild) criticism, its dedication to due legal process, it's reluctance to actually scrap T's populist programs, it's kid gloves approach to the South- in short- they are showing themselves to be a viable alternative to democracy. That is truly frightening.

That is an interesting analysis although personally I dont think they could get away with postponing elections for a long period, but it may position some of them for future political office. We will see.

I don't think it is speculation to suggest that if the military continues to behave with restraint, the black eye it gave itself in '92 will be forgotten; and that once the country has been returned to 'normal', with the first sign of political turmoil (the kind of turmoil to be expected in a functioning democracy wherein social divisions are channeled through electoral and parliamentary procedures), another intervention will not be unwelcome by the public- little Somchai might just be able to squeeze into the camoufledge gear that mommy bought him in celebration ot the last coup.

One might even wonder, had the bloodshed of '92 not occurred, would this coup have taken so long to happen. And had the unelected Prem and Anand governments not behaved so benevolently, would this coup have occurred at all.

Thai electoral democracy needs another ten-twnety years to show any sign of maturity and "functioning democracy wherein social divisions are channeled through electoral and parliamentary procedures".

So far it has not been used for channeling of political voices at all, only as a tool in a mafia style war between rotten to the core "godfathers": "I've bought more votes, I'm the king of the jungle, now let's trade".

When built-in constitutional means of keeping it under control fail we have extra-consitutional coups that serve more or less the same purpose - to stop runaway abuse of power. No wonder people welcome these coups, coup makers show far more concern for country's well-being than elected politicians ever will.

To end this cycle Thailand needs to develop political consciousness in voters and stop relying only on enforcement side of the "law", through either constitutional or military means.

Thai electoral democracy needs another ten-twnety years to show any sign of maturity and "functioning democracy wherein social divisions are channeled through electoral and parliamentary procedures".

So far it has not been used for channeling of political voices at all, only as a tool in a mafia style war between rotten to the core "godfathers": "I've bought more votes, I'm the king of the jungle, now let's trade".

When built-in constitutional means of keeping it under control fail we have extra-consitutional coups that serve more or less the same purpose - to stop runaway abuse of power. No wonder people welcome these coups, coup makers show far more concern for country's well-being than elected politicians ever will.

To end this cycle Thailand needs to develop political consciousness in voters and stop relying only on enforcement side of the "law", through either constitutional or military means.

I agree with all of what you say Plus. But would have preferred that you have said, "Thai electoral democracy needs another ten-twenty years -of uninterrupted democracy- - to show any sign of maturity."

Yes there hasn't been democracy as we would like to think of it in Thailand up to now. It has been at best crude and driven by greed and corruption. But in my own lifetime, I can recall when in Canada a bottle of rye was all it took to secure a vote. That has changed. (And no- not to good scotch!) It's going to be a long hard grind- but it requires that once and for all people accept/ learn (hopefully not the hard way) the responsibilities of citizenship- and why dictatorships are doomed to eventually disappoint- often tragically- and they won't learn as long as the nurse is going to pick them up every time they fall. Unless of course they are congenitally incapable of walking- are they? I sure don't think so. I just think they've never had to.

And the military is as much riddled with, and dominated by rotten to the core godfathers and criminals as the political parties are. Only difference is that the military is under no control of the population while the political parties are to some extend at least.

Interfering whenever things are wrong will never allow the people to mature to a functioning democracy.

Yes Colpyat. My analogy re the nurse picking them up every time they fall was wrong. Instead of nurse, I should have said, the mysterious man in the trenchcoat and shades. He may well pick you up. And put you in his pocket!

Edited by blaze