Phuket Schools: QSI vs KajonKiat International vs Darasamuth

SamHuaHin

I have a 7yo Son needing a school in Phuket.
From what I have read online in forums, these 3 seem to be the best other than the $$$ PIA, BIS and HeadStart.

I would love to hear from anyone that has kids attending either, or teacher that have worked at either, or tutors that have taught kids from either.

Thanks

I believe of the 3 you mention, QSI is considered the best.
It supposedly is American curriculum.

My son goes to Darasamuth and it is OK.
A bit too big for my liking, but good price, pretty good teachers (I think) and he seems to be learning something.

I agree the 3 you mention are very expensive but I thought QSI was close in price to those 3 also.

Your location should probably have something to do with your decision.
The shorter the bus ride, the easier for all.

There is also Dowroong school on the south east side of Phuket town.
It is a Catholic school. (as is Darasamuth)

my daughter graduated from QSI 4 years ago, She got a good education an loved the teacher/student ratio

its an American school with American teachers, small classes, ( total schools like under 150 students)

a good mix of half thai/half Farangs and 100% farangs.

Sports is not big ( not enough space) as the big 3

still have friends that have there kids there, If ur kid is looking for American education its the best bet

was paying like $11,000/year back than so it might have gone up a bit. for primary it was like $7,000, just check their website

she went to BIS ( when it was Dulwich ) for 5 years before her last 3 years at QSI.

Edited by phuketrichard

I was a teacher and teacher trainer for 30 years in England. I have also taught in local schools here in Phuket. If you want an American education choose QSI otherwise consider Darasamuth English Programme. I chose Darasamuth for my son and have been very pleased with his experience there. It is good value for money.

http://www.thephuketnews.com/parents-allege-son-injured-by-teacher-at-phuket-school-57903.php#OccRqzuzJe1QRKi6.97

The number of parents on this forum praising that school makes me sick

This isnt the first instance of teacher abuse at that school

Management at the school explained that changing classes would not solve the problem, that the student needed to adjust to their teachers and classmates and to give them at least two weeks to get to know each other.
yeah give it more than 2 weeks after getting a backpack thrown at you and pushed into a pool.
Any private school is ok except that one
(have not named it don't need to delete my post)
Edited by bearpolar

http://www.thephuketnews.com/parents-allege-son-injured-by-teacher-at-phuket-school-57903.php#OccRqzuzJe1QRKi6.97

The number of parents on this forum praising that school makes me sick

This isnt the first instance of teacher abuse at that school

Management at the school explained that changing classes would not solve the problem, that the student needed to adjust to their teachers and classmates and to give them at least two weeks to get to know each other.

yeah give it more than 2 weeks after getting a backpack thrown at you and pushed into a pool.
Any private school is ok except that one
(have not named it don't need to delete my post)

What is the connection between Kajonkiet Thalang (as in your link) and Kajonkiet International in Kathu, which the parents seem to be happy with according to quite a few posts here on the forum?

stevenl: without knowing much about these schools, the first thing that comes to mind is the same name. How does it work, is it a franchise system with totally independent branches or do they have the same management?

stevenl: without knowing much about these schools, the first thing that comes to mind is the same name. How does it work, is it a franchise system with totally independent branches or do they have the same management?

I don't know, hence the question.

They have the same owners and there has been a lot of deleted and not deleted comments over the years about violence and neglect at the kathu location

The only positive posts about kajon kathu have been from low count posters that sounded a bit on the slow side so either people that are obvlious to everything or shills from kajon.

They have the same owners and there has been a lot of deleted and not deleted comments over the years about violence and neglect at the kathu location

The only positive posts about kajon kathu have been from low count posters that sounded a bit on the slow side so either people that are obvlious to everything or shills from kajon.

Thanks.

This though "there has been a lot of deleted and not deleted comments over the years about violence and neglect at the kathu location" I don't recall, and this "The only positive posts about kajon kathu have been from low count posters that sounded a bit on the slow side" is definitely not true.

Thanks.

This though "there has been a lot of deleted and not deleted comments over the years about violence and neglect at the kathu location" I don't recall, and this "The only positive posts about kajon kathu have been from low count posters that sounded a bit on the slow side" is definitely not true.

If you don't remember those deleted posts then you certaintely don't remember the various new accounts that came to defend it a few years ago.

I remember very well because i had been looking into using a thai/english private school instead of international and everytime a topic poped up i ended up being really scared of kajon. I wouldnt my worst enemy's kid there.

Edited by bearpolar

If you want the next best thing to a Thai school what is the next best thing? (on a minimal budget)

Next best thing to a Thai public school would be a private Thai school. IMO darasamuth is the best, and very affordable.

If you want the next best thing to a Thai school what is the next best thing? (on a minimal budget)

Darasamuth is about 100k per year all included, im not sure if it includes food though.

Thats for the English programme, Thai programme is a lot cheaper.

^^^it does

Pretty good deal then for becoming fluent in english and thai while getting an acceptable education in a good facility.

say you feed your kid for about 40b throughout the day in lunch/snacks thats 8k for the school year.. it should be more like 80b so 16k for a normal family

80k for the schooling. That's less than most people pay in school taxes in the west.

My daughter is at Dowroong school & it is alright to me. I am not really expert on Thai education but I get impressed that she is always progressing well there. It really depends on what kind of the outcome parents would like to expect.

My daughter is at Dowroong school & it is alright to me. I am not really expert on Thai education but I get impressed that she is always progressing well there. It really depends on what kind of the outcome parents would like to expect.

What is the yearly price for the english program there?

What is the yearly price for the english program there?

Mine not including EP but I know there is the availability. My guess would be something like 40K to 50K excluding lunch per year. That includes EP.

When my son moved from bkk to Phuket, I put him in QSI. I think the price was about 10k usd/year. I found it bit disapointed especially in term of discipline. My wife (Thai) suggested me to move him to Darasamuth which we did after one year. Darasamuth is very strict on discipline (no phone allowed inside, no long hair, uniform, homework check...). He was in the EP program and we found him changed a lot with better discipline for himself. He know have finished his last cycle from Darasamuth and move to another school in Phuket town. Before Phuket he was in Harrow international school in BKK. I can't remember the price of the EP program but i think about 40/50k

When my son moved from bkk to Phuket, I put him in QSI. I think the price was about 10k usd/year. I found it bit disapointed especially in term of discipline. My wife (Thai) suggested me to move him to Darasamuth which we did after one year. Darasamuth is very strict on discipline (no phone allowed inside, no long hair, uniform, homework check...). He was in the EP program and we found him changed a lot with better discipline for himself. He know have finished his last cycle from Darasamuth and move to another school in Phuket town. Before Phuket he was in Harrow international school in BKK. I can't remember the price of the EP program but i think about 40/50k

Thanks for the review, its about 100k all included right now