PayPal no longer works for me

boomerangutang

I've been a steady user of PayPal for well over 20 years. Nearly all that time, residing in Thailand but because of PP's rules, have used a US tel# for reference. I accessed my PP account once recently while visiting Burma. Since then, PP has not allowed me to add funds from my US bank account. They say it's not necessary, and that bills will be paid (and reimbursements to PP from my bank account will be automatic). That's partly true, but not entirely.

I was considering dumping PP, and then I got a form letter from them (sent out to all members) listing all sorts of complicated stuff re; ISP's etc. That was the clincher. If I use an online service, I don't want to be expected to be an IT expert. Same if I bring my car in to get repaired, I don't want to be expected to be as much of an expert as the mechanics fixing my car. I want things to be relatively simple. PayPal is complicating their modus operandi and making things difficult. Bye Bye PayPal from me. We had a good run for nearly quarter century, but it's splitsville now for us.

Have you attempted a live chat or email to their customer services? I live in the UK but had a small issue to resolve in LOS a few years ago and got in contact with the Singapore branch and the matter was settled within twenty-four hours.

Not certain that this will be applicable to your good self, but worth a try?

A friend of mine just got his business paypal-account closed due to "excessive risk". He has been a loyal PP client for 5+ years and cleared approx. 50k euro in revenue monthly! Disputes and claims were very are and always resolved with the clients. There is still 15k euro in the account that will not be released for the next 180 days.

Paypal sucks for sellers, they can close you down any time without giving a valid reason.

I moved my business away from paypal a few years ago, it's not worth the risk. Besides that, their fees on currency exchange are terrible.

A friend of mine just got his business paypal-account closed due to "excessive risk". He has been a loyal PP client for 5+ years and cleared approx. 50k euro in revenue monthly! Disputes and claims were very are and always resolved with the clients. There is still 15k euro in the account that will not be released for the next 180 days.

Paypal sucks for sellers, they can close you down any time without giving a valid reason.

I moved my business away from paypal a few years ago, it's not worth the risk. Besides that, their fees on currency exchange are terrible.

Where did you move to that was cheaper That was cheaper than PayPal?

I really only use PayPal for eBay purchases, and have been doing that successfully from Thailand, elsewhere and the U.S., for a long time (2004?).

But just this week I was trying to buy something (2 T-Mobile SIMs) on eBay, for a whopping $8.89, and was unable to get through the PP verification page. The resulting message was something like “We can't process your payment right now, so please try again later” .

Anyway, I tried all sorts of workarounds: VPN, resetting my PP account, changing cards, adding stored value, resetting passwords, telling them I was traveling in Thailand, different computers, verification by phone call (using my VoIP number of record), etc., all with no luck. I did a fair bit of research, and there are quite literally thousands of similar problems, but no workable solution. I think it may be some sort of fraud avoidance issue, but am not certain.

I gave up, and purchased at Amazon.

I may try to reset my PP account during an upcoming trip to the U.S.

I completely stopped offering paypal and moved to an international payment service provider instead. That PSP clears direct debits, bank transfers, creditcards, local payment methods etc. Best move ever. F* paypal.

I've saved a lot of money on currency exchange. Paypal doesn't allow withdrawal in other valuta than the country valuta where the business is incorporated in, with paypal all the funds must be exchanged into the local valuta. My calculations show that paypal takes approx. 3% on that above market rate. + ridiculous high fees for cross-border sales. Total == +/- 6 - 7 %

www.paypalsucks.com

I found out that 99% of the shoppers easily choose another payment method over paypal if you offer enough alternatives, especially in euro-countries.

Things like trustmarks, customers reviews and a free returns policy also boosts confidence.

I sell on my own ecommerce websites, but unfortunately you guys selling on ebay only have no other choice than having to deal with paypal. You are 100% reliant on ebay and paypal, that's not a good business model.

I completely stopped offering paypal and moved to an international payment service provider instead. That PSP clears direct debits, bank transfers, creditcards, local payment methods etc. Best move ever. F* paypal.

I've saved a lot of money on currency exchange. Paypal doesn't allow withdrawal in other valuta than the country valuta where the business is incorporated in, with paypal all the funds must be exchanged into the local valuta. My calculations show that paypal takes approx. 3% on that above market rate. + ridiculous high fees for cross-border sales. Total == +/- 6 - 7 %

www.paypalsucks.com

I found out that 99% of the shoppers easily choose another payment method over paypal if you offer enough alternatives, especially in euro-countries.

Things like trustmarks, customers reviews and a free returns policy also boosts confidence.

excellent! And the payment service provider is?

casualbiker, on 12 Jun 2016 - 09:49, said:casualbiker, on 12 Jun 2016 - 09:49, said:
PocoLoco, on 11 Jun 2016 - 22:30, said:PocoLoco, on 11 Jun 2016 - 22:30, said:

Depends on where you are converting from. And do you mean straight f/x currency conversions from say UK to LOS, or eBay-type business transactions?

Can't help you with commercial transactions, though.

Archived