As second cop dies, Phuket Police Chief declares deadly cop gunfight case closed

rooster59

As second cop dies, Phuket Police Chief declares deadly cop gunfight case closed

Darawan Naknakhon

post-247607-0-81127800-1465691347_thumb.
Phuket Provincial Police Commander Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen (left) pays his respects to Lt Thamarong Suwanchatree of the Phuket City at a funeral service at Wat Wichit Sangkaran in Phuket Town this afternoon (June 11). Photo: Darawan Naknakhon

PHUKET: Pol L/Cpl Wongsathon Theparan, 21-year-old junior officer of the Kathu Police (Thung Thong) involved in the shootout with another police officer in Phuket Town early this morning, has died from his injuries.

The news comes as Col Teeraphol Thipjaroen, Chief of the Phuket Provincial Police, announced today (June 11) that with L/Cpl Wongsathon’s death, the investigation into the deaths of the two police officers who opened fire at each other closed.
Phuket Provincial Police Deputy Commander Col Peerayuth Karajadee confirmed today that he received formal notification of L/Cpl Wongsathon’s death at 12:40pm.
Col Peerayuth declined reveal any further details of the deadly shootout between the two police officers.
“The investigation is ongoing. We need to question all people at the scene who may be witnesses to the incident,” Col Peerayuth said.
“Officers will question Sen Sgt Maj Nattachai Phonoy of the Phuket Immigration Police at Phuket International Airport, who had an altercation with L/Cpl Wongsathon and was injured prior to the shooting,” he added.
L/Cpl Wongsathon was shot three times by Lt Thamarong Suwanchatree of the Phuket City Police after Lt Thamarong approached him to enquire about a shot L/Cpl Wongsathon had just fired into the air, near the Seahorse Circle in Phuket Town at about 12:30am today.
L/Cpl Wongsathon fired the odd, angry shot after an altercation with yet another Royal Thai Police officer, Sen Sgt Maj Nattachai Phonoy of the Phuket Immigration Police, who had refused L/Cpl Wongsathon and his friends entry to a local pub as they were unable to present identification.
Sen Sgt Maj Nattachai Phonoy was moonlighting as a security guard at the Haopan pub when the incident occurred.
Witnesses reported that when Lt Thamarong, who was having dinner with friends in a restaurant nearby, approached L/Cpl Wongsathon, the junior officer opened the door to his pickup and fired once directly into Lt Thamarong, delivering a fatal shot that killed Lt Thamarong.
tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-12

“This incident happened because of bad tempers, and bad tempers led to violence. This happens anywhere in the world, and police are not exempt,” he said.

Bzzzt - Wrong!!!!

The ability to think clearly, act in fairness and keep calm in stressful situations are requisite skills required of police officers anywhere in the world. Given the frequency of these incidents, I'm inclined to think that the RTP performs little to no psychological screening of their officers.

If the investigation is ongoing how can the case be closed ?

Do they mean they are not looking for any other suspects or are they trying to cover up this gung ho fiasco ?

No. They just mean 2 cops are dead and there will be more in the brown envelopes for those cops still living. Nothing further requires any investigation.

If the investigation is ongoing how can the case be closed ?

Do they mean they are not looking for any other suspects or are they trying to cover up this gung ho fiasco ?

the whole thing is rather vague and confusing, at first glance I figured that the two dead officers shot eachother so either way there would be nobody alive to charge with murder, but as I said the whole thing seems rather vague, I don't think anyone will ever know what went on unless of course there is more to follow by way of an undisclosed dispute that will result in more confrontation....who knows

The second fatality was of a 21 year old L/Cpl which is a junior supervisory rank. I don't know the minimum age for recruitment but say it's 18 then the deceased would have barely had 3 years service including ' training ' yet had his foot on the first rung of the promotion ladder !

Lots of food for thought about this and so many other issues involving the BiB's personnel.

I was there that night - crowds of people, pubs, bars and restaurants filled the the brim, live music, laughter, fantastic atmosphere. When the first shot was fired nobody really noticed - sounded like a firecracker which are quite common here.But when more shots followed, I saw people ducking for cover and running to safety.

And to find out the day after that it was cosp shooting one another? Completely mental!

The second fatality was of a 21 year old L/Cpl which is a junior supervisory rank. I don't know the minimum age for recruitment but say it's 18 then the deceased would have barely had 3 years service including ' training ' yet had his foot on the first rung of the promotion ladder !

Lots of food for thought about this and so many other issues involving the BiB's personnel.

He would have had to go through the police training college, I believe, which is 3 years possibly. It counts as a degree.

Be aware that the Thai police does not promote from the ranks. You have commissioned officers and non-commissioned officers. So if you come in as an ordinary cop, the highest you can get to is senior sergeant under normal circumstances.

Back to this case, all swept under the carpet, nothing to see, move along please.

I simply cannot muster sympathy for any of the police here in Thailand...I only see people who use cronyism to bully and exploit anyone weaker or vulnerable...little punks with guns...unfortunately, they kill more civilians than each other...I only wish more scum had been involved...or that I could have seen the incident personally, as it would have cheered me up quite a bit...

if anyone thinks my comments are too harsh...the police openly engage in human trafficking and pedophilia, as if their day to day extortion was not enough to satisfy their base appetites...

I simply cannot muster sympathy for any of the police here in Thailand...I only see people who use cronyism to bully and exploit anyone weaker or vulnerable...little punks with guns...unfortunately, they kill more civilians than each other...I only wish more scum had been involved...or that I could have seen the incident personally, as it would have cheered me up quite a bit...

if anyone thinks my comments are too harsh...the police openly engage in human trafficking and pedophilia, as if their day to day extortion was not enough to satisfy their base appetites...

To be fair this isn't a Thai problem per se. During the prohibition in The USA many policemen were corrupt, during and after. This was solved in part by increasing the wages to a livable salary, policemen want to send their kids to college as well.

In Thailand where corruption is endemic there would be no feeling of guilt for taking a back hander and slowly but surely as on a battle field in war he will get used to the corpses on the way. I know some policemen privately and at least on the outside they seem like decent people, i haven't seen them with big expensive cars or with lots of money, in fact when one policeman's car window was smashed he had to borrow money from me to get it replaced ( yes he did pay me back). There are the rich officers that we read about and there are the very corrupt but we have that in Europe as well where due to public scrutiny they are better at hiding it. During the Kray twins investigation it was said by an insider that big criminals went in and out of Scotland Yard as if it was their private domicile on a daily basis. Lord Boothby even had drinks with one of the kray twins in the house of commons dining room and they shared underage boys together at parties.

Crazy crazy crazy! Complete lack of self-discipline.

Running around with guns and shooting just like common criminals (except this bunch have uniforms).

But will the PM instigate any substantive and positive changes? whistling.gif I would not hold my breath.

RIP and condolences to family and friends.

The worrying thing about all this is that these cops are not that unusual in the RTP. Far too many are not fit for purpose.

Over the years we have had many incidents of cops letting go and killing someone.

"can happen anywhere in the world". Yes it can....but it doesn't.

The actual 'happenings' do sound a bit vague. The grunt fires his gun into the air, in anger at the NCO who is moonlighting as a security guard. Then the LT, who was having dinner, shoots the grunt 3 times. But, question, was this after the grunt had already gotten back into his pickup to leave? Or did the grunt get into his pickup after being shot? Or did the grunt fire his gun into the air while sitting in the pickup? Where were the grunt's friends? Were they (or anyone else) endangered by the LT shooting? Did the LT shoot from his dinner table? Or did he approach the grunt and order him to put the gun down? At any rate, somehow the grunt is shot three times and is in his pickup when the LT approaches, ostensibly to check the status of the victim. The LT opens the door and is shot dead; or perhaps the door swings open and the LT is shot dead. The grunt survives a few more days in the hospital, then dies. Was he being guarded by a friend of the LT? Everyone was off duty, so were any of the involved wearing uniforms? The grunt had his gun but no ID? So he was just carrying a concealed weapon while off duty with no uniform or ID? Was the LT in uniform? Did the LT identify himself before shooting? Did the LT have any ID, or just his gun? Who paid the LT's dinner bill?

Seriously, is there not a lot of in-house training and things to be learned from this tragic 'friendly fire' event, which, it sounds like, could easily have been worse?

Derogatory post Removed

Forum Rule -

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Violate this Rule and expect to be suspended

“This incident happened because of bad tempers, and bad tempers led to violence. This happens anywhere in the world, and police are not exempt,” he said.

Bzzzt - Wrong!!!!

The ability to think clearly, act in fairness and keep calm in stressful situations are requisite skills required of police officers anywhere in the world. Given the frequency of these incidents, I'm inclined to think that the RTP performs little to no psychological screening of their officers.

Correct! To enter the RTP one only needs good connections and a bag full of money. Education, psychological skills and a good temper are not necessary.

The ad for the RTP could be something like this:

Invest several million baht but get it back in just a few years time and after that your wealth will explode. Don't forget cheap loans, free meals wherever you go, 100% coverage of all medical and dental costs and all the drugs one can dream of. Come and join us 'dirty rotten scoundrels' today. Make sure you are corrupted to the core, because that's how we like you best. Oh yeah, I almost forgot; you get a licence to kill. How cool is that?

Edited by DaveinAsia

Bzzzt - Wrong!!!!

You would think that the ability to think clearly act in fairness and keep calm in stressful

situations would be prerequisite skills required of police anywhere in the world before they

are hired, but with the number of police shootings/killings of unarmed often black citizens (but

other races as well) in the US, caught on video that shows a completely different story to the

initial police report, that leads me to believe there is no effective psychological screening of

officers in the US or Canada for that matter where RCMP officers have also been shown to lack

these skills. As a mater of fact the only universal skill that police officers all have is to both lie and

circle the wagons to defend fellow officers. (The code of silence, we look after our own is universal)

In fact it is only because of cell phone video coverage and CCTV that is occasionally available

that exposes the truth. Until the video comes out the police line is ALWAYS it was a righteous

shoot with a full cover-up. It is police organizations everywhere that do not want to use body

cameras. Of course most police officers in North America are honourable honest people, but a

surprising number are one step from being thugs themselves. The BIB here are just more corrupt

when it comes to collecting monthly envelopes. From police in Mexico being drug gangs death

squads and involved crime at all levels to police in South America and Africa also involved in

extortion and various protection rackets, countries with a reasonable semblance of professionalism

and honesty are few and far between. Just my opinion. coffee1.gif